Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Wrong Wrong Wrong

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Wrong Wrong Wrong

I agree with Mattooty, I think Nathank is only commenting from his needs and wants and does not understand how business works. Most successful businesses will not show a huge profit, that's how it is done, I am thinking maybe you are a labor voter, lol.

Do you know more mullet are used by rec fishers than for other needs, have you ever bought or used mullet for bait. If the answer is yes then you don't have an argument against this legal activity, if you do then you are being hypocritical.

What's the difference between netting tonnes of prawns and netting tons of mullet, both legal and both governed by sustainability findings and research..

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Oh i have a "Degree in Enviro Science" thats just fantastic. I for one, am not interested in what you do or don"t have. Here's a "Couple of Quick Figures" then you can come to your own conclusions. 2010 NTH NSW 8 Week Period Clarence River 262 Tonne, 2012 only a 160 Tonne not a good season they reckon. Anyway lets say 1 fully Roed Mullet carries between 1.5 to about 4.5 million eggs average weight about 1.2 kg. Out of 262 Tonne 40% Females thats approx 176 Billion Eggs. I must say thats really good sustainable figures. Oh and Mr Degree, i suppose your part of the Enviroment Study for the Super Trawler.

The astounding thing about that write up on little terns is that feeding habits aren't mentioned. This is because the people who wrote it simply didn't, and probably still don't know what their feeding requirements are - which is kind of an important aspect. It took me 5 or more years through constant communication with SEQ's leading tern expert to convince her that terns rely on pred fish and dolphins for their food. Jill had absolutely no idea how terns feed, but knows all about it now and fully supports the knowledge I bring to the table and now writes in some of her survey reports about netting influences on tern counts.
    GBRMPA released the first paper ever in Aus in January this year about seabird dependency on predatory fish and expressing concerns about commercial fishing impacts. I have a research paper from Long Island NY published in the late 80s re common tern dependency on bluefish and a string of similar papers dealing with different seabird, fish and dolphin species that have been published since - we should have switched on in Aus much earlier.
    Little terns still nest in NSW and they have all of the listed threats that Qld has. There has also been a different approach to fishery management in NSW that I can only see being of benefit to the health of terns and which we would do well to learn from - from several different perspectives.

Something I have observed that is relevent to the entire discussion - living at Teewah I am watching the surf every day, looking for birds working, fish in waves, surface feeding fish, dolphins - anything that moves. I used to see terns roosting on the beach and generally there'd be a flock feeding over pelagics within eyesight of the resting/roosting terns. Then all of a sudden, I'd go down the beach of a morning and there'd be no terns anywhere and no fish/dolphin movement anywhere. I would know straight away that a net has been shot and investigations virtually always confirmed that a net had indeed been shot. The fish have been spooked and evacuated and the terns have to follow them in order to feed. It is as simple as that.
    The last 4 years, I have hardly sighted feeding terns at all and never during winter. 20 years ago you could hardly cast a rod at times without collecting a crested tern in winter.

I have agonised for years about how we can have a sustainable mullet fishery and still conserve species. I am confident now that there is a method that can keep the mullet fishers happy, rec fishers happy and our ecosystems in some sort of shape for the future. Many of the mullet fishers support the plan I've devised for this region of netting the mullet inside the estuary mouths where they school and hold prior to exiting the mouth to spawn and leave the open beaches for recreational angling. This would prevent migration alteration by the predatory species like tailor and allow their favoured feeding and breeding grounds to be fully utilised and high recruitment to result. Dependent species of seabird, dolphin, shark and perhaps turtles would be indirect beneficiaries of a return to the evolved spatial dynamics of fish. We can't have net free regions everywhere, but we do need to develop a strategic system of net free regions along our coastline that consider the species and industries we are trying to preserve. One such industry is recreational fishing which is steadily losing local participants and international fishing tourists are far more likely to go to Florida than come to Qld becasue there are fish to be caught in the recovered Florida fishery following net bans which is now worth over $1 billion p.a. from recreational fishing alone. Existing examples from Australia and around the world such as Florida, Sthrn Californian Bight, NSW where net free regions have been established, universally have seen (scientific studies) improved recreational catches in size and number and improved commercial yields and viability. But how can it be that a reduced commercial fleet with less territory to work catches more fish than before? Because fish are able to utilise feeding and breeding grounds rather than be chased around the ocean by nets. They can produce healthy fast growing offspring that can grow bigger and produce healthier faster growing offspring. No mysteries in any of this - basic fishery management. But we are approaching fishery management with the school of thought that fish are stupid benign animals that can't learn and react to danger. That they'll just keep coming back to the places where tens of thousands of tonnes of their ancestors have perished. Fish aren't that stupid and there is monumental evidence of a fish's learning capacity - which isn't amazing, it's no different to what we see on David Attenborough all the time on terrestrial animals. In actual fact, "The Blue Planet" has extraordinarily clear footage of many of the attributes that fish, sharks, whales and seabirds have that I am talking about.

T

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Oh i forgot to mention what happens to the Roe MMM...well some of it anyway . It"s actually used as a "Traditional Chinese Gift" to the Bride and Groom on there Wedding Day. Ah nothing like a bit of Good Old Mullet Roe in the Honeymoon Suite. Nice..

Quote Originally Posted by gruntahunta View Post
    I agree with Mattooty, I think Nathank is only commenting from his needs and wants and does not understand how business works. Most successful businesses will not show a huge profit, that's how it is done, I am thinking maybe you are a labor voter, lol.

Do you know more mullet are used by rec fishers than for other needs, have you ever bought or used mullet for bait. If the answer is yes then you don't have an argument against this legal activity, if you do then you are being hypocritical.

What's the difference between netting tonnes of prawns and netting tons of mullet, both legal and both governed by sustainability findings and research..
    I'm a labour voter and successful business's don't show huge profits.. wow, you are special mate. If i use mullet it's a few in a cast net for livies when chasing jacks, the ones that don't get eaten go back in alive.
    So you are saying that you think beach hauling spawning fish on their annual run is ok then and you have no problem, as a rec fisher, with it... Cool then... good for you mate.

By the way if you run a "successful" business and don't show decent profits how do you get bigger lines of credit as part of an expansion process?

Quote Originally Posted by mattooty View Post
    Hunting in National Parks is a whole seperate debate. A really good one mind you (and yes I'm an avid hunter), but not relevant to the discussion at hand.....
    I just like to see a bit of evidence to support a theory, even if it is only a personal theory. You know, as does the rest of the scientific community. Especially in an instance such as this, it needs to be undertaken by a non-biased researcher.
    Well without going off on a tangent as the fish net info here is very interesting, but I was led to believe the hunting in national parks was to get rid of feral animals.
    And the parks would be closed at this time.
    IMO a skilled hunter can shoot a few ferals goats, pigs, fox, or whatnot and pretty well leave the area without anyone even known he/she was there.
    I remember as a kid we would be in the hills and hear gunfire all the time, but we were safe as houses.
    In general there is a lot to be said for responsible skilled hunters, and little to be said for cowboys.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    which isn't amazing, it's no different to what we see on David Attenborough all the time on terrestrial animals. In actual fact, "The Blue Planet" has extraordinarily clear footage of many of the attributes that fish, sharks, whales and seabirds have that I am talking about.
    T
    I am going to get the box set of all series one day.
    I still see things on those shows that I never even knew existed.

Dan

Lol, oh, so if you don't 'show' your profit, you are 'hiding' it? And why would that be?
    Might be a job for you, CEO of one of the major banks, maybe they'd like to 'hide' a little of their multi-billion $ profit in these 'troubled' times?

they did the same thing last saturday morning on mooloolaba beach

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lolololololol. ...just use a bit of good old fashioned bait and in they come spinner....you probably support NSW as well....suppose I won't get a bite this time ....unless he des support Nsw of course, which would explain why he bit so hard the first time.

I DON'T have a problem with legal netting by the way.

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Hmmm Gruntahunta

I wonder if you would have a problem if your fishing area was netted out. We might see a different attitude.
    Unless of course you are a pro-fisherman or affiliated with one.
    Or is this a stupid post!!!!!!!!!!
    LOL
    Historian/Collector of Old Sidecast Fishing Reels

Off topic but who runs business without profit? You'd be wasting your time by not making a profit.

What I don't like about professional fisherman is they don't seem to be putting anything back into the environment. My mates timber mill for example cuts down trees and replants trees in there place creating a new set of trees in the future to cutdown. I don't know but what do professional fisherman contribute? Are they restocking or are they gambling on nature doing this?

Commercial guys contribute a compulsory $600 for conservation and research of the fishery onto of their usual licence fees in nsw, they don't get a choice if you don't you don't fish it makes the $25 rec fee pale in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post
    Commercial guys contribute a compulsory $600 for conservation and research of the fishery onto of their usual licence fees in nsw, they don't get a choice if you don't you don't fish it makes the $25 rec fee pale in comparison.
    probably not if you calculate it against both groups catch!!