Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: can you start yammy when battery dead

Re: can you start yammy when battery dead

I think you need to film it for us mate........ Could be very educational..
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    . I have a pull cord and t handle in the boat. 4 stroke are a no go I understand,
    Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Can I just clarify plse. Are you saying you cant pull start a 4 stroke ?

Here's a 200HP etec without a battery.

Makes it look easy.

Just what i have heard. If it can safely be pull started it will be in the owners manual...

As for Opti a dealer told me no battery no run.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    There is a few simple tips, first up, make sure ignition is on, fuel bulb is hard, manual choke on and usually some throttle, make sure the rope is not too long, just a full turn around the flywheel is plenty, too long, and when it starts, you will be whipped to near death by a 115HP whipper snipper, trust me, I know all about it, also make sure no one is standing too close, because as you pull like crazy, your mate might just get an elbow in the guts... I also know about that! You will be surprised how easy it is, especially after dark with no help in sight, you will pull that motor faster than any battery, also remember when a battery will no longer turn the starter, it will have plenty of power left for ignition and stuff, that is of course unless your battery has fallen over board!
    Love the way you cover the safety aspect of the starting process LMFAO I think maybe you should give pointers on all other aspects of boating safety. Thanks odieman

My dad used to start up to 20hp Mercs just by spinning the fly wheel with his hands. This is not something you should allow your early teenage son to witness, as he will try it, and he will hurt himself, I was that son.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

A battery that's too flat to kick a motor over will still have enough volts to run the ignition. You obviously have to have a battery connected to pull start it, except the likes of some (others have mentioned this)
    IMHO you should at least have two batteries. Even a third spare fully charged with jumper leads when overnighting.

Every trip a can of "start ya bastard" comes with me, according to urban leglend ether sprays shouldn't be used on 2 strokes but it would take right idiot to use enough in one go to cause any undue problem, actually I dont know how one might be fool enough make a problem happen...suspect it was a some easy play on lubrication...who knows these days.

With a can of this and a motor that can start, even someone with "chicken arms" will get it running again.

I have 2 big batteries and a lithium jump pack (size of 2 packs of coffin nails). Works for me. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Hi Noelm, All
    re ( make sure the rope is not too long, just a full turn around the flywheel is plenty, too long, and when it starts, you will be whipped to near death by a 115HP whipper snipper, trust me,)

I take it from this the pull rope does not let go easily, so is the pull rope, 1 turn around the flywheel plus say 200mm to the pull rope handle?

Looking at a backup for an 85Hp Blue Band Merc battery low.

Thanks

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    Can I just clarify plse. Are you saying you cant pull start a 4 stroke ?
    Still wondering about this ?

I've had a starter solenoid go.
    The cogniscenti use a screwdriver to short it out for a start. (They neglected to tell me.)

Hello All,

when I was a teenager I rope started a 105hp Chrysler from cold.
    Took a few yerks but no problem.
    The battery still had some charge so some spark, I don't know how a fully dead battery would go.

Adding to Noelm's cautions;
    all passengers to be as far away as possible.
    If the donkey starts and the rope get caught, be ready to duck.
    Do not loop the rope around your wrist you will get wound in and chewed up, horrifying thought.

Must be connected to a battery or the diodes in the alternator will blow.
    Those little jump start gadgets look good to me, has anybody actually tried one?

A 200 would have a lot more compression than a 105, so it comes down to motivation.
    Four strokes would have much more compression than a two stroke, again, motivation.
    How would a modern computerised motor go with low voltage????????

Let all interested parties go to the shed and get pulling.

I want to know how he dropped the battery over the side.

Looking at a backup for an 85Hp Blue Band Merc battery low.
    The old blue band Mercurys used to store their pull cord in a little plastic bag attached to the square front motor cover, easy not to notice it your's could still be there.

Those little jump start gadgets look good to me, has anybody actually tried one?
    Yeah they work very well Crocodile, a bit expensive for what battery they use inside them but they sure are a convenient way of having a transportable battery on hand in a neat package.

The starter in my 100HP Yammy fourstroke died once and the dealer said it can't be pull started. But I put a short rope (REALLY short. I didn't even wrap it right round the fly wheel, only a quarter turn). It was the easiest pull start ever.