Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your spearfishing technique?

What's your spearfishing technique?

I'm keen to hear from spearfishers about their firing technique. I'm trying to fit some real-life pieces together that involve the skill and coordination of the sport and the relationship, if any, to similar skills on land, such as shooting. I'm happy to PM more info on the project to anyone who's interested.
    Firstly, is it out-of-the ordinary for a left-handed person to shoot right-handed and
    vice-versa?
    Also is it customary to shoot with the arm fully extended, half-bent or to shoot from the hip?
    Is shooting from the hip wide-spread?
    In competition spearfishing events do the most successful competitors all use a similar shooting technique (like most successful tennis players serve, volley and play ground shots in a similar way).
    Is it necessary to change hands to tend to scuba equipment?

Thanks in anticipation.
    Yellowbeard

Re: What's your spearfishing technique?

dont you just aim and shoot, and hope the hell it hits the fish?

Never spear fished sorry, dont know jack about it.

Mike

Arm fully extended. Thus giving you the best straight aimed shot
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Agree with jt, full extension brings your target more into range also.
    Can be difficult to achieve when close-quarter reef hunting, in which case a bit of fore-thought may be required as to how best approach your target.
    Always well worth the effort though.
    Yellowbeard what I'm saying is that IMO, time-developed hunting skills are infinitely more important than any technical shooting skills per se, at least for the reef work I do.
    A person who has superb shooting ability, may have no underwater hunting craft, and therefore literally may never be in a position to fire an effective shot at a target fish.
    Combine the two abilities and you have the incredible talents of the world's elite underwater hunters, as readily viewed on u-tube etc.
    Cheers.

agree with above.. 60% hunting skill 20% accuracy 20% luck

almost everyone i know shoots straight arm. there is almost no other way to shoot. with a bent arm my spear would fold you in half with recoil

One thing i've learn't is don't anticipate the gun shooting - be relaxed when you pull the trigger. I also keep my arm straight when I shoot.

strait arm and most important i think is a quality gun if you are serious about doing this sport it is much to your advantage to buy a quality gun first up.
    A rob allan or a edge gun is quite good priced and they are fantastic guns shoot strait have a good amount of power.
    Also i think it is better to not rush a shot many times i have rushed a shot and put the shaft in the sand or reef instead of the fishes head

cheers BK

Scuba equipment while spearing ??

Not in queensland. Bottom time is essential, bit of burley doesnt go astray if you have big enough goolies.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelr View Post
    Agree with jt, full extension brings your target more into range also.

Yellowbeard what I'm saying is that IMO, time-developed hunting skills are infinitely more important than any technical shooting skills per se, at least for the reef work I do.

A person who has superb shooting ability, may have no underwater hunting craft, and therefore literally may never be in a position to fire an effective shot at a target fish.
    Agree totally. Getting to know your prey is most important in separating the men from the boys. When you first start spearfishing you tend to look everywhere and under everything as you swim an area. The experienced guys will speed off until they find some country that looks right and then they'll hang. Looking right might mean particular bait gathered, or with trout a cleaning station. Experienced divers tend to cover more area than new divers and use their diving more effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomo View Post
    agree with above.. 60% hunting skill 20% accuracy 20% luck
    Do you reckon 20% luck?? I'd be interested to hear from others but here is my quick guestamates:

Coral Trout 90+ % (for every ten shots you should land 9)
    Cod 90%
    Spanglies 10 - 20 %
    Venus tusker 60%
    Red Emperor 95% (as long as you don't panic they will always hang around)
    Mackerel 70% (but you may only get to shoot at 50% of the ones you see)
    Cray 99%

These are based on when you believe that you have the right shot (ie not when you just see a mackerel and squeeze off a shot as it is moving away from you ). Interested to hear others' thoughts ...

Yellowbeard I agree with the straight arm technique, aligning the length of the spear and sights from your eye to the target takes practice. I also try to adapt other techniques from my target rifle shooting like: maintaining a controlled trigger squeeze and not 'pulling the trigger', follow through on the trigger squeeze, controlled 'breathing' were the shot is taken when the body is most relaxed, and controlling the 'flinch' from the anticipation of the actual firing. Anyone else who is a sporting shooter would probably be aware of how important these techniques are when shooting over a distance, and even though spearing is short distance it can make the difference in making a humane shot or ruining a good fillet.
    Not sure that I explained the ideas well enough but hope it helps.
    CHARTER BOAT, WHAT CHARTER BOAT?

Thanks to all who participated.

Quote Originally Posted by warti View Post
    Bit of burley doesnt go astray if you have big enough goolies.
    Berley is a great trick but this is what often happens when you have burlied a tad too much

Nick

Hey nick, feel free to give us the yarn on that pic, mate!
    Cheers.