Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tackle recommendation

Re: Tackle recommendation

Courtesy of a few hand/wrist injuries in recent years I have just started seriously looking at heavier duty spin set ups for offshore work. I have ended up with a Saragosa 25000 running 50 pound on a T-Curve 200 Jig stick as an all rounder. Initially had a Ryobi Carnelion 12000 I bought for $99 delivered which, while it performed flawlessly running 80 pound braid on a cod that was estimated at somewhere between 80 and 100 pound, I have relegated it to a second outfit . This was the first time (short of bust offs) I have seriously stretched this rods legs and to say I was impressed with just how effective these shorter jigging rods are as a fish fighting tool is an understatement. Much less hurt on me than my usual 6-7 foot bottom bashing overhead set up. I would be looking at this as a jigging set up as against your overhead - a second spool with 80lb may be a viable option if you find some bigger kingies. The 25000 is a seriously large reel but I wanted the line capacity - it swallowed 600 metres of 50 and backing.

I do find though that with much over a pound of lead the overhead is still the best tool. I run a Tyrnos 30 with a longer custom handle which allows for quite comfortably retrieving up to a 32 ounce sinker without the need for pump and wind. If after something a bit more of an all rounder a 20 size reel would probably be a better option. Mine is mated to a live fibre 15-24kg 7 footer. If you aren't doing any bottom bashing then a smaller size reel with higher gearing would make a better proposition. I have a a couple of Daiwa Saltist overheads on various rods for float lining but any quality reel of this sort of calibre with the drag of your choice would do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Courtesy of a few hand/wrist injuries in recent years I have just started seriously looking at heavier duty spin set ups for offshore work. I have ended up with a Saragosa 25000 running 50 pound on a T-Curve 200 Jig stick as an all rounder. Initially had a Ryobi Carnelion 12000 I bought for $99 delivered which, while it performed flawlessly running 80 pound braid on a cod that was estimated at somewhere between 80 and 100 pound, I have relegated it to a second outfit . This was the first time (short of bust offs) I have seriously stretched this rods legs and to say I was impressed with just how effective these shorter jigging rods are as a fish fighting tool is an understatement. Much less hurt on me than my usual 6-7 foot bottom bashing overhead set up. I would be looking at this as a jigging set up as against your overhead - a second spool with 80lb may be a viable option if you find some bigger kingies. The 25000 is a seriously large reel but I wanted the line capacity - it swallowed 600 metres of 50 and backing.

I do find though that with much over a pound of lead the overhead is still the best tool. I run a Tyrnos 30 with a longer custom handle which allows for quite comfortably retrieving up to a 32 ounce sinker without the need for pump and wind. If after something a bit more of an all rounder a 20 size reel would probably be a better option. Mine is mated to a live fibre 15-24kg 7 footer. If you aren't doing any bottom bashing then a smaller size reel with higher gearing would make a better proposition. I have a a couple of Daiwa Saltist overheads on various rods for float lining but any quality reel of this sort of calibre with the drag of your choice would do the job.
    Good Stuff

I've got that heavy tackle spin covered with the Saltiga Hiramasa & Stella 10000 / Saltiga Expedition 5500 ..... & you are correct that the shorter jig sticks can put a lot of hurt on big fish . It's the next tier that I'm trying to fill ....... an outfit where you could cast out a big bait / livey & not be too worried what might come along ....... so it needs to have good low down power but be still reasonably light in the tip. It would be the kind of outfit that you might take to NZ or South Australia to fish for their big snapper.
    I don't do much deep water bottom bashing ..... but I agree with you on the heavy lead situation and overheads . This outfit would be used in setting deeper live baits ....... & that is where spin gear with the exception of baitrunners fall over - I also like the control of a lever drag in this situation ....... It's the way to go The hard part is deciding on what size considering most of the waters I'd be fishing will be less than 100m & closer to 50m ...... so 250-300m of 40 or 50lb Braid would be plenty - so 12s/16s possibly 20s sized overheads will do just as long as it can put down 15kg of drag. This will probably end up on a 6ft rod (whatever that may be)

PS - still find it fascinating about the use of these really big spin reels ..... but if you are fishing 80lb in 100m for big reds (Emperor) .... I guess you need it

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

There are a lot of choices out there, for myself I prefer to used overheads but I do have many spinning setups, so if I was going get a medium to heavy spinning setup, I would look at a Penn Spinfisher V SSV8600LL and add a Shakespeare Tiger stick, below is a link to that rod. The Penn is a HD bait runner style reel with about 32lb drag available and holds a heap of braid line. The rod is a two piece 7ft with a range of 5kg to 25kg, so it would probably be tippy for sensitive bites and able to load up when hooked on a much bigger fish.

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/ugly-...7ft-5-25kg-2pc

I have only found it available in NZ where the locals like to use them to catch use them on Snapper and big Kingfish, delivered to Australia would be about AU$120 discounted and the Penn reel is available locally from between $170 -220 so well and truly within your budget, you could actually buy 2 outfits within your budget. ($750-1000), a spinning and an overhead outfit

It is also available in a 7ft overhead style rod (about $130 delivered) and you could match it to Penn Fathom FTH30LD2, FTH40LD2, FTH60LD2 for under $350, there is also a stack of other overheads that you could match with it such as the Okuma Metaloids (2 speed versions only available overseas) or Penn Torques, Tynos 20 or 30 as examples.

The Ugly sticks have been around for many decades and are known for being versatile and resilient, although I have a range of good quality modern graphite based rods, I still use the ugly sticks because of their versatility and robustness, and even use one that is over 35 years old, (but I did replace the guides with SiC).

I am still trying to justify to the missus (and myself) that I "need" one of those Black Tiger sticks.

I bought a Torium 16 and matched it up with a Terez 40-80lb heavy fast action last year which is now my go to rod for anything offshore.

It has a super sensitive tip being such a long rod but it also has plenty of power down low for when you hook up on bigger fish and it is very well balanced unlike a few of the other overheads I have where the reel is a bit weighty and wants twist the set up in your hand while reeling in.

One of my mates tried it out awhile ago and has gone and bought himself the exact same set up.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Thanks Sheik

Much respect for Daiwa & Shimano ........ I actually do own some "big gun" spin gear ...... but it's just that "BIG GUN" Stella 10000 , Saltiga 5500 Expedition with a couple of Saltiga popping & jig sticks - 50 & 80lb braid . Great if I'm chasing GT's , YFT or even big kings but I'm looking for what I would call med/heavy
    I've have some idea's but really keen to hear what is being used these days ..... certainly a big baitrunner is food for thought - just what size - I rate the Shimano Thunnus (have a 4000) & for my mind there is nothing like the baitrunner feature when straylining for snapper
    add that to my list

Ta again

Chris
    Great, I've been looking at the Thunnus, so that's agood idea. Are there any differences to the baitrunner apart from weight? The 12000D is just a little heavy and most of the fish I'm getting are grassies, snapper, maori cod, pearlies etc so I'm thinking the 8000 so it has enough line to fish on the Banks and Hards (90m+) but also doesnt weigh too much. Most of the graphite I find doesnt load up as well as the ugly stick type rods so although they're cheaper, they do the job for me. I've done really well with a sahara though, from 90cm bludgers, to jack, to 100 cm jew, etc with only a 4000D baitrunner. Just not enough line!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    Great, I've been looking at the Thunnus, so that's agood idea. Are there any differences to the baitrunner apart from weight? The 12000D is just a little heavy and most of the fish I'm getting are grassies, snapper, maori cod, pearlies etc so I'm thinking the 8000 so it has enough line to fish on the Banks and Hards (90m+) but also doesnt weigh too much. Most of the graphite I find doesnt load up as well as the ugly stick type rods so although they're cheaper, they do the job for me. I've done really well with a sahara though, from 90cm bludgers, to jack, to 100 cm jew, etc with only a 4000D baitrunner. Just not enough line!
    Honestly - I think there is a world of difference between the Thunnus & the Baitrunner Ds - bit more drag , little lighter , more bearings & made just that little bit better (IMHO) . When I got my Thunnus I put it alongside my original baitrunner (which I thought highly of) & it was chalk a cheese . Regardless I will add a 6000 Thunnus to my collection .
    I reckon an 8000 would be a good choice for you if combined with a quality braid ....... $242 at Coffs Harbour atm makes it an even better buy

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks Chris that's a good buy. .. good bye.

Let us know what you end up getting Chris.

I’m still waiting for a manufacturer to come up with a high end Baitrunner that holds a lot of line and a fast retrieve. If there was a Stella or Saltiga level reel with a Baitrunner option I would splash the cash immediately. Bait fishing now days I almost exclusively use spin reels as my left wrist doesn’t take the overheads when fighting decent fish (broke it as a child) unless I’m game fishing and am wearing a gamble belt but those rods are set up to accomodate that.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

I ended up with

This was an interesting exercise & I certainly appreciate everyone's feedback . What I ended up doing was doubling up with two spin outfits I'll wait till next year to buy the overhead - still trying to narrow my choices down

1) ATC Vigour SW8000 matched to a Venom Live Fibre 15-40lb 30lb Daiwa J Braid

2) Shimano Thunnus 6000 baitrunner match to Daiwa Saltiga X762S Pe 2-4 30lb Daiwa J Braid

Those that don't know the ATC reels should check them out IMG_3906.jpg 15kgs of drag (Carbon drag stack) , 9+1 bearings - I've been using a couple of the smaller ATC Valiant SWs for the past 3 years & can't fault them .

I gave the Venom / ATC a bit of a run the other day on some snaps ..... nice & managed to get stretched by a couple of decent fish (assuming kings) which I popped off ( 20lb leader on a shallow reef) ........ It's an understated rod but t certainly feels the goods. The reel is smooth as & the drag really comes on hard ..... lets see what happens over the coming months

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have the exact venom rod 15-40lb with a Stella 5000sw PE3 braid. Absolute weapon of a rod. You could pull the plug out of the ocean floor with those venom x rods.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy C View Post
    I have the exact venom rod 15-40lb with a Stella 5000sw PE3 braid. Absolute weapon of a rod. You could pull the plug out of the ocean floor with those venom x rods.
    I have to say , for such a light rod it's got a hell of a lot of grunt ...... and since I dislike broomsticks it went right up there at the top of the list
    A 20% discount didn't hurt either & made it easier to take the plunge

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have been looking at the ATC Valiant reels on line for a while funnily enough yet can’t find any info on their weight or line retrieve. Are they similar to Shimano sizes?

Thanks

I have been looking at the ATC Valiant reels on line for a while funnily enough yet can’t find any info on their weight or line retrieve. Are they similar to Shimano sizes?

Thanks
    they are neither Shimano nor Daiwa sizing

the Sw 3000 is around a 2000 daiwa size ...... this is what I use for bass / flathead

the Sw 5000 is something around a 3000 daiwa ...... I’ve used this for everything from snapper to Barra with 30lb braid.

I will I’ll put up some comparison photos tonight for you.

I have to say.... As someone who likes higher end gear & is a big daiwa fan , I was more than happy to buy a second one ..... and now I have my 3rd ATC spin reel. I’m more than happy to gear up for a trip and use these in place of the Certates . Even the 2000 Stella will take a back seat at times. That’s not bad for a sub $200 reel.

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks
    Here are some comparison photos SW3000.jpg

Valiant SW3000 Vs Certate 1500 & Stella 2000S (Valiant takes 240m PE2)

SW5000.jpgValiant SW5000 Vs Certate 3500 ...... The Valiant takes 230m of PE3 & the Certate 200m PE3

Both reels have 5.2:1 ratios

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO