Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

Quote Originally Posted by MattChew View Post
    Like it or not I think we are all influenced in some way or another. My only gripe about advertising is the customer paying for it ie. A dvd made by a tackle company that's basically about their product and the fish they catch is expected to be bought by the potential customer ... surely these should be hand out out to their already buying customers as a "here check out these exciting new products we have" rather than "Our next "Fishing" dvd is out so go and pay $30 for it" ... BTW my partner bought mine for christmas.

Ta
    Matt
    Matt that would be bloody good idea. If a tackle company made there own DVD with demos of all their rods, reels, lures, clothing range etc and GAVE them away at tackle shops, I ponder how many sales that would inturn produce. I am sure the marketing gurus at the different companies have thought about it.

You only had to look at the Etec DVD and how effective that was at sucking in.......ooops I meant informing us how how good Etecs are!!

Steve

Surely most sponsored anglers have confidence in their brand(s) or they wouldn't take them on board? I have heard of 'sell their own grandmother' types who take on competing brands, or who don't use their sponsored product, but I've heard suppliers quickly wise up to such dodgy dealings. I know only a few sponsored anglers, but each one believes in his brand 100%.

There's no doubt advertising can be powerful, but I reckon most consumers can tell when a TV presenter is pushing his advertiser's gear. I don't think anyone would watch The Garden Gurus and marvel at the coincidence that Yates is each presenter's favourite brand. Then again, I haven't worked in advertising much so I could be wrong!

I sometimes buy stuff because of what I see in ads. I just try to look past the buzz words (e.g. 'outfishes/outlasts/outperforms everything else') and take in what useful info I can. And I like seeing what's out there anyway, even if I don't make a purchase.

Good thread!

I don't know that tackle companies need to distribute free DVDs when so many people are prepared to pay for them! I have no idea how expensive a free DVD would be to produce, but you'd get a percentage of recipients who wouldn't get around to watching it, a percentage who'd watch it only for the action and not buy any product, etc. And sales of your other DVDs might slump. You'd want it to be worth it... With the E-TECs, BRP would have needed relatively few purchases to make the exercise cost-effective, but with something like lures it would be a different story. It would be nice though!

Until then I guess we have to make do with the demo DVDs at tackle stores. I like watching those... better to be at the local shop and have a few yarns then be at home on the couch, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    I don't know that tackle companies need to distribute free DVDs when so many people are prepared to pay for them! I have no idea how expensive a free DVD would be to produce, but you'd get a percentage of recipients who wouldn't get around to watching it, a percentage who'd watch it only for the action and not buy any product, etc. And sales of your other DVDs might slump. You'd want it to be worth it... With the E-TECs, BRP would have needed relatively few purchases to make the exercise cost-effective, but with something like lures it would be a different story. It would be nice though!

Until then I guess we have to make do with the demo DVDs at tackle stores. I like watching those... better to be at the local shop and have a few yarns then be at home on the couch, anyway.
    Nic

I think these days it wouldn't be that much to mass produce DVDs ... maybe even not much more than a glossy catalogue.
    Just in case you have not noticed ..... Shimano now release a DVD which highlights new product - This is a local production too unlike the US produced ETEC propaganda or Rapala lures - so they must expect to sell some gear out of it! .

My favorite is the "Fishing DVD" Lets face it ..... Its basically a 2 hour advertorial . Fortunately its well filmed- Good stories , full of useful tips & information !!!!!

....... & I'm willing to pay $13 fully knowing that Shannon & Ed will plug Daiwa , Starlo will throw squidgies & tell you about his Maui Jims....... Peter Morse will Sagerise you or throw a Reddington or 2 at ya & every boat will have a Yammi & lowrance hanging off it! ........ When is the next one due

chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

That was exactly my point Chris. You can't get away from it. The only reason I can't bring myself to get Foxtel is I refuse to pay $100 per month to watch ads ... pay to watch ads ... I don't think so!!!!!!!!

matt

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Nic

I think these days it wouldn't be that much to mass produce DVDs ... maybe even not much more than a glossy catalogue.
    Just in case you have not noticed ..... Shimano now release a DVD which highlights new product - This is a local production too unlike the US produced ETEC propaganda or Rapala lures - so they must expect to sell some gear out of it! .

My favorite is the "Fishing DVD" Lets face it ..... Its basically a 2 hour advertorial . Fortunately its well filmed- Good stories , full of useful tips & information !!!!!

....... & I'm willing to pay $13 fully knowing that Shannon & Ed will plug Daiwa , Starlo will throw squidgies & tell you about his Maui Jims....... Peter Morse will Sagerise you or throw a Reddington or 2 at ya & every boat will have a Yammi & lowrance hanging off it! ........ When is the next one due

chris

Thats good mate!

Nic

Cool, wouldn't mind checking that out! Is it free or do you have to pay for it?

That was exactly my point Chris. You can't get away from it. The only reason I can't bring myself to get Foxtel is I refuse to pay $100 per month to watch ads ... pay to watch ads ... I don't think so!!!!!!!!

matt
    My thoughts exactly. Same goes for any item, if it has a brand name splashed over it, you pay me to wear it not the other way round. I can't believe people in their millions fall for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    Cool, wouldn't mind checking that out! Is it free or do you have to pay for it?
    I know it was given away with either Modern Fishing or Fishing World last Nov

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

matt

Disagree, foxtel/austar is the best thing ever, would hate to think of life without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe-90 View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Same goes for any item, if it has a brand name splashed over it, you pay me to wear it not the other way round. I can't believe people in their millions fall for it.
    Its funny ..... because you are right & so many of us do it I have no dramas with buying a shirt or cap etc with a brand name emblazoned all over it..... just as long as it is functional & looks cool ........ It's a little bit of brand loyalty in some ways - & a bit of being a tosser ....... which I can live with

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Its funny ..... because you are right & so many of us do it I have no dramas with buying a shirt or cap etc with a brand name emblazoned all over it..... just as long as it is functional & looks cool ........ It's a little bit of brand loyalty in some ways - & a bit of being a tosser ....... which I can live with

Chris
    Chris
    Anything that draws attention away from your scone will do the trick!

The way you went in ABT....I'd sponsor you mate!!

cheers Steve

Media and advertising is everywhere....and it aint going to go away! they just get more cunning in their placement.....I mean who would have thought a boxer would have some blah blah.com painted on their back in a fight 10 years ago.!

Like anything - if you produce enough DVDs you can get them very cheaply. I write, shoot, edit and produce them as part of my job. We do everything in-house so it doesn't cost as much as having a camera crew (or several like the AFC) , a production house where the sound track is produced and the video edited and the DVD authored. (Yep, you have to tell the DVD player what to do when the chapter buttons are pressed etc and that is encoded in the track). You can produce a pretty good looking DVD and packaging for around a dollar, but that's without all the other costs to produce the video footage that's on it.

When it comes to advertising, I don't see the real difference between paying $100 odd bucks a month for the top Foxtel HD package, buying a magazine or a newspaper for between 5 and 12 bucks, or paying a subscription for a web facility like Ausfish. You are still paying to be exposed to advertising. Let's face it if it wasn't for the ads you probably wouldn't see the TV, Magazines or whatever - you wouldn't be able to afford them if the advertisers didn't pay good money to be in them. The cost to produce them would be too high. And when you look at prices for Tackle - don't forget you're also paying part of the cost towards the advertising, sponsorships, and PR activities for every company that makes fishing gear. In reality by buying fishing gear - you're paying the company to advertise to you so you can go and buy more of their products...and pay more.....etc.

Nice can of worms been opened up here - interesting isn't it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpah View Post
    Like anything - if you produce enough DVDs you can get them very cheaply. I write, shoot, edit and produce them as part of my job. We do everything in-house so it doesn't cost as much as having a camera crew (or several like the AFC) , a production house where the sound track is produced and the video edited and the DVD authored. (Yep, you have to tell the DVD player what to do when the chapter buttons are pressed etc and that is encoded in the track). You can produce a pretty good looking DVD and packaging for around a dollar, but that's without all the other costs to produce the video footage that's on it.

When it comes to advertising, I don't see the real difference between paying $100 odd bucks a month for the top Foxtel HD package, buying a magazine or a newspaper for between 5 and 12 bucks, or paying a subscription for a web facility like Ausfish. You are still paying to be exposed to advertising. Let's face it if it wasn't for the ads you probably wouldn't see the TV, Magazines or whatever - you wouldn't be able to afford them if the advertisers didn't pay good money to be in them. The cost to produce them would be too high. And when you look at prices for Tackle - don't forget you're also paying part of the cost towards the advertising, sponsorships, and PR activities for every company that makes fishing gear. In reality by buying fishing gear - you're paying the company to advertise to you so you can go and buy more of their products...and pay more.....etc.

Nice can of worms been opened up here - interesting isn't it!!!
    Good read there Grumpah.
    Advertising is an evil necessity ..... & it is everywhere. However its the Advertorial & brand placement that gets up my goat!. Most hereabouts see through it & Its no big deal - unfortunately there is a huge part of the population that know no better...... & are the targets of this form of advertising
    I just wish it was toned down & a little more subtle instead of increasing to the torrent that we are now seeing.
    Its at a point where today you have to question the integrity of each report / product review ........... you now have to look at who the author is & who sponsors them........ Fancy having a Loomis Pro Staffer doing a product review on a Loomis rod in a magazine... Which happens ........ This is why I like Tackletour

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Nic
    chris
    The Fishing DVDs sure are popular... and yet people are driven mad by the level of advertising in shows like Escape With ET. So what's the difference -- is it just that the stories are better in TF DVDs? Or is it that the sponsors are varied, rather than the same mob over and over?