Thread: Dolphins and mackerel in Moreton Bay?

Dolphins and mackerel in Moreton Bay?

Happy New Year All
    Can anyone help with this question. I have been fishing the four beacons this week for mackerel. Caught two good size schoolies Xmas eve from a surface bust up south of E4. Have been out for 3 mornings this week for nothing, but have noticed a pod of 20 dolphins hunting in the area now. Do dolphins scare away the mackerel? Should I move on if dolphins are spotted in the area? Can't find any answers in my reading to date. Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers Seastrength.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Dolphins and mackerel in Moreton Bay?

They certainly won't help and the cunning f*%^ers will steal them off your hooks if you do manage to hook one while they are around.

I have noticed it more quiet when they are around but have still caught schoolies at the beacons. I do think the schoolies hug the beacons more closely though.

But the other fish do shut down and the bait becomes more skittish.

Not worth using livies or pilchards when they are around as the dolphins steal the bait. Have to resort to slugs only.

Quote Originally Posted by PixieAU View Post
    I have noticed it more quiet when they are around but have still caught schoolies at the beacons. I do think the schoolies hug the beacons more closely though.

But the other fish do shut down and the bait becomes more skittish.

Not worth using livies or pilchards when they are around as the dolphins steal the bait. Have to resort to slugs only.
    Thanks for the advice scottar and pixieAU. Seems like dolphins are to be treated with respect. SS

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app