Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 150Yammy 4/stroke ---over propped.

Re: 150Yammy 4/stroke ---over propped.

Quote Originally Posted by JulianDeMarchi View Post
    What pitch did you go for and what are the specs for your boat? I get that loud thud and I spin the standard yammie stainless prop.
    Hi Julian

What type of Yamaha prop do you have on there now?

Quote Originally Posted by SAFisherman View Post
    Hi Julian

What type of Yamaha prop do you have on there now?
    17M yammie standard stainless, the boat is a Yalta 555HC which is about 1.2tonne in the water. Boat is 6.1 from bow spirit to pod.

17M yammie standard stainless, the boat is a Yalta 555HC which is about 1.2tonne in the water. Boat is 6.1 from bow spirit to pod.
    The black stainless/steel one? If so that does not have SDS

Correcto, and correct again. But for $500, new prop can wait a bit.

Correcto, and correct again. But for $500, new prop can wait a bit.
    Totally agree

This is the stuff the salespeople should tell us when buying a new engine, problem is half of them know stuff all

The black painted SST prop does not need SDS. If you're after a 3 blade and don't mind not having the polished look, the black prop is the best performing prop for the F150 and will safe you a few dollars as well.
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Firstly, thank you to all those who have replied to my thread, and offered advice. I have bought a prop from Solas. I found them friendly and professional to deal with and their advice was sound. Thanks Shane. Buying from Solas is like buying with insurance. it costs you more, but there is confidence that the result will be as expected. I could have bought a prop from a very reputable firm in the U.S. for $200 less with a 6 day delivery---but what to do if it didn't suit.
    To answer questions.
    The boat is a 28 ft. Longboat, centre console with large S.S. T top, large Tecni ice box, 200 L. fuel tank and all the gear to go well offshore.
    In short --a large heavy efficient hull, for a 150 Yammy to push.
    The original prop was the black SS. Yammy--13.75 dia. by 17 pitch. Off shore with !/2 fuel fish and ice, 1 POB, choppy following sea ---max RPM 4800.
    New prop---solas HR Titan 15 Dia---14pitch, Full fuel, 1POB, choppy inside water, max RPM between 5400 to 5700 depending on trim.
    SOG 27 knots.
    Have yet to do economy figures as I have not done a long run off shore. I will also be interested in the benefits of a larger diameter in a heavy swell. For this comparatively large boat, I think there will be some benefits.
    Thanks to everyone.
    Cav(J.C.)

Re above,
    Forgot to mention, there is a very good Yammy prop on the market.
    Cav(J.C.)