Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Minn Kota Terrova

Ausfish Bronze Member OcciferNick's Avatar

New Minn Kota Terrova

Well I finally was able to buy a long wanted accessory for my boat, an electric motor. I read so many posts from people who had installed them over the years and how it totally changed their fishing experience for the better. From increased catch rate to catching more fish in a quicker time frame. What I wanted most out of mine was the ability to spot lock over the fish and make minor adjustments if I needed to without having to drag in an anchor and trying to reposition it only for the wind to change and swing me off course. This would set my PTSD off massively and I would end up getting the shits, frustrated and most likely end up sitting in the wrong spot as I couldn’t do the anchor thing again lol

Just over a week ago I had the opportunity to experience the benefits first hand as a fellow ausfish member invited me onto his boat which sported a newish electric motor. Besides the fact that I caught a PB fish on the trip, I loved everything about the motor and how easy it was to fish with.

I purchased a Minn Kota I-pilot Terrova 80lb thrust 72” shaft 24v. I was thinking about the auto deploy Ulterra but seeing as I had a centre console and could walk all the way around and up the bow I figured I didn’t need it. I also thought that the more moving parts meant the more that could go wrong with it. That and it was another grand more expensive.

67D3E28D-F76B-4B5C-BCE3-96EABD7763DC.jpg

When I purchased the boat a few years ago I had them add the electric motor mounting plate in preparation for the day I could get one. As I only have a 5.3m centre console there isn’t a lot of obvious room for the two batteries. As a result I pulled up the front deck to see where would be a good place to mount them.

74780CAE-7E85-4850-84DC-3F88748B724A.jpg

I read a fair bit on batteries and saw a few posts on lithium ones and how they were significantly lighter and had a lot better discharge (down to 90%) and last about 4 times longer (not quite four times more expensive haha). I found an Australian company that was selling a 120amp battery on special. It was $350 off so I decided to save some weight and go with them. And they advertised that these batteries were a drop in replacement for AGMs, nothing special required. I think they boast an equivalent to a 200amp AGM. This is the battery info.

A9665A6C-0479-4BE4-8601-A5C299D45D23.jpg

I did ask them about charging and if it was better to charge them separately or in series and they stated that it is better to charge them separately. This got me thinking that I need to make it easy to disconnect so back onto the internet I went. This is the result....

CA1BA7E7-5856-42E4-ABD3-A11B8B7C092F.jpg

1FD18ACE-C1E3-4277-BCC8-833F7C32F579.jpg

As as you can see in this picture the left hand side goes to the electric motor. The other two go to the batteries connecting them in series. I also ended up splicing in the 60amp breaker but didn’t take a photo.

The first thing I did was to place the motor on the mounting plate and line everything up so the motor head didn’t hang over the gunnel which could get easily damaged pulling up to piers etc. once everything was lined up I drilled the holes and mounted the motor. I didn’t bother with the quick release as I couldn’t think of a reason why I would. It’s not parked on the road so really no need.

A great idea I got from my ausfish forum buddy was a support for the motor head to stop it from bouncing around when underway. This was made the same way just using chopping board plastic sandwiched together and bolted to the gunnel with some Velcro straps.

D47CF762-3E20-408D-9A23-1941A9984517.jpg

The heading sensor was placed on the opposite side of the bow just bolted to the gunnel. I checked the area first with a compass to make sure there wasn’t any interference. I ran this wire up under the deck and into the main wiring loom so that it comes on when the auxiliary battery is switched on.

E058D608-91B9-4391-86E0-D77090973093.jpg

I decided to mount the batteries right up the bow just behind the anchor well but because of the shape and exposure to water I had to build a little platform and make a waterproof housing. It was very tight and very hard to get anything in that space without cutting the aluminium cross members. If I could weld aluminium I would have cut them and welded an aluminium compartment. Oh well it gives me something else to learn In the meantime I made a platform from marine plywood and used a very heavy duty tub and lid which was all strapped down. It feels very secure but it’s something I’ll keep an eye on.

B68C7ADF-54D1-48AD-9552-E4F737ADC322.jpg

After mounting the batteries I cut the flooring so that the front floor over the batteries just lifts off. The rest of the deck is screwed back down. Overall it was a very satisfying install. I have 2 battery charges coming and as soon as they arrive this week I’ll make sure they are fully charged then take the boat out and test it all.

F608AFEF-6C87-4062-82FB-AA52F80A337F.jpg

Ill probably drill a hole in the gunnel just next to where the motor is mounted so that I can run the main wires through the hole just to tidy it up.

If anyone notices any mistakes I’ve made I’m happy to hear from you. Just leave me a comment.

Hope you enjoyed the read read for those that were interested.

Regards
    Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Filthy Oar”
    Stessl 5.3m centre console
    90hp Suzuki

Re: New Minn Kota Terrova

Fantastic mate, well done. I’m jealous in a good way. Best of luck on the first fishing trip using the setup. And don’t forget to post a trip report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good post. Are you worried how will those batteries will go getting pounded so far forward?

I mounted my 130agm for my Minn Kota 12v that far forward and no issues - very tight and no movement is the key I think. Well put together batteries seem to take a pounding well enough. I will probably get.5 years or.so.from the AGM then move to lithium.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Great post thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    Good post. Are you worried how will those batteries will go getting pounded so far forward?
    Not really. I have strapped everything down including individual straps over the batteries inside the container.
    “Filthy Oar”
    90hp Suzuki

will also be interested to see how the boat performs with the extra weight that far forward when under way, and at rest when your standing up there fishing!

Welcome to a whole new world of fishing - good choice on the leccy.

I just got back from Port Stephens where we managed some decent snapper fishing 45m of water . They key to the success was without a doubt making the numerous small (10-50m) adjustments in boat position …….. which would have been a total pain with an anchor.

Spot lock .jpg

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I'm keenly waiting to hear how that battery goes, Nick. I'm about to order three of the same batteries for a 36V set up. What charger are you using?

Yep same here ..I'm also waiting for an update....they are supposed to be able to have 96 useable amp hours in them and be suitable for 36v system...if you install a Trollbridge you can just use a single 12v charger hooked up to the start battery at home to charge the whole bank as well as putting in some amount of recharge whenever the outboard is running....

Do not use anderson plugs to power your lecky, they will be initially fine but the slightest bit of corrosion will interfere with your power supply. Seems to be ok for battery charging though but keep an eye on the corrosion on the terminals. If you can see anything other than how they look when new they will not deliver full power.
    Jack.

I emailed Yandina today for more info on the trollbridge set up and received an extensive reply which basically advised against the use of the trollbridge for onboard charging. From what I can gather the trollbridge is designed for AGMs and has several drawbacks for use with LiPos, voltage balancing issues etc. It may be possible to do with more electronic wizardry but I think I'll be keeping it simple for now. I don't fully understand the electronics of it all but if you need more info, Ann at tech@yandina.com is all over it. What chargers are people using for home charging for a three battery system?

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Do not use anderson plugs to power your lecky, they will be initially fine but the slightest bit of corrosion will interfere with your power supply. Seems to be ok for battery charging though but keep an eye on the corrosion on the terminals. If you can see anything other than how they look when new they will not deliver full power.
    I use a spray or Corrosion X once a year and no issues (my Anderson is on the foredeck of a tinny fully exposed to salt). Alternatives ? Crimping with hydraulic crimps and double walled heat think if you plan not to remove motor I suppose.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

No.1 rule in with electrical wiring, any non-permanent connection increases resistance. This isn’t critical in most circumstances, but with any circuit requiring high or low (radio aerials etc.) current draw it reduces performance significantly. Convenience versus performance, depends on the requirements of the circuit I guess.

Haven’t had a chance to get out yet but will be in the next week. Actually the weekend is looking good. For charging my batteries I just went with their charger which is designed by them for their batteries so probably the easiest option for me. Also thanks for the heads up with the Anderson plugs I’ll be keeping a close eye on them. They will be inspected every charge so any sign of a problem I can change them out. Hopefully I’ll have a better update soon.
    “Filthy Oar”
    90hp Suzuki