Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: New bag and size limits as of today

Re: New bag and size limits as of today

Is that because your ego couldn’t fit in just 1?

Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post
    Is that because your ego couldn’t fit in just 1?
    Duh, to cover all the fishing styles.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    Is there a daily bag limit in QLD as well as a possession limit?When holidaying in QLD I've always adhered to an in possession limit regardless of how many days I fish.

@Billfisher
    Out of interest........ Which state do you reside in?
    it is most definitely 100% a possession limit- there is no daily bag limit. You have been doing it correct mate.

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    Well might be or is there a possession limit? And suerly the possession limit would be higher than the bag limit? Also it's hard to enforce. Ie how likely is it for your house to be raided in order to check how many fish you have in the freezer. Whats to stop you giving them away to freinds and relatives?

The possession limit is the bag limit. They are one in the same. Yes its hard to enforce, but at the end of the day it all comes down to the individual and their practices- personally I have my own code of ethics which involves finishing the fish in my freezer before i head out for a fish again. No point stock piling- best eaten fresh, I also prefer trying to think of others and the following generation. In full disclosure though, I am a business owner and can generally organise my work around the weather so i'm pretty fortunate.

There are no bag limits in Qld.

There are size and possession limits... and now boat limits on a couple of species.

At all times possession means " in possession ".. and yes, if you have 2 snapper in your freezer at home and you catch another 2... bazinger... that is your " possession " limit.

Of course there are grey areas.........

Let's also remember there are "-

CRFF limits

Tidal species Limits

Other limits as of 1st September.

Take a few minutes and have a read here :- https://www.qld.gov.au/recreation/ac...s/limits-tidal

Yes, you will need a degree to understand and comprehend ALL the info.

The fact is, the data used to make decisions by FQ is not good. We all know this, so no use arguing that point.

The fact is no one here has provided accurate data on the recreational harvest to FQ or any other body able to undertake research.

You can't bash the FQ guys on one hand and refuse to provide data on the other, and then tell them their data is crap.... seriously !

Thing is, the new regs are in.......... read up, be vigilant and if in doubt, call 13 7468 and ask the question.

Cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    There are no bag limits in Qld.

There are size and possession limits... and now boat limits on a couple of species.

At all times possession means " in possession ".. and yes, if you have 2 snapper in your freezer at home and you catch another 2... bazinger... that is your " possession " limit.

Of course there are grey areas.........

Let's also remember there are "-

CRFF limits

Tidal species Limits

Other limits as of 1st September.

Take a few minutes and have a read here :- https://www.qld.gov.au/recreation/ac...s/limits-tidal

Yes, you will need a degree to understand and comprehend ALL the info.

The fact is, the data used to make decisions by FQ is not good. We all know this, so no use arguing that point.

The fact is no one here has provided accurate data on the recreational harvest to FQ or any other body able to undertake research.

You can't bash the FQ guys on one hand and refuse to provide data on the other, and then tell them their data is crap.... seriously !

Thing is, the new regs are in.......... read up, be vigilant and if in doubt, call 13 7468 and ask the question.

Cheers LP
    Agree 100% on the data business, how to get accurate data when everyone is so paranoid about giving information will be difficult.

So my discussions with Matthew have prompted me to delve further into the stock assessment in an attempt to further understand how it all comes together. My head hurts but I think I came up with some answers to some of my questions. By use of the recreational surveys - last undertaken in 2013 in relation to the document, the entire recreational catch for the area of geographic distribution in Queensland was estimated to be 55625 individual fish with a nominal weight of 1.47kg giving a recreational estimate take of roughly 82 tonnes. If you break that down into the current day limits of 4 fish per person it works out to 13906 recreational bag outs for the year. Further division sees a figure of 38 bag outs per day - for the entire geographic range of snapper in Queensland. (Matthew if you are still following - did I get that right??) . Can't comment on others opinions but that certainly sounds plausible - possibly even light on. Sure we don't fish every day and some days are unfishable but there is always a retiree or someone on holidays on the water when the weather is good - let alone the numbers on a good weekend. In the last two trips alone my boat has accounted for 5. If average a trip a month over the course of a year with similar results that would have been 36 for the year given I typically fish 3 up. If my results were then taken as typical that only works back to 386 boats state wide doing the same - not a ridiculous number by any stretch of the imagination (making the assumption my maths is right.)

As to the numbers of people actually fishing - there is comments in the assessment document regarding the need to look further into the trends of boat registration as against "ocean days". It's now my understanding that models are run by the science team with a lot of different variables - there were 72 different models in this assessment. What the management team then chooses to do with that information really isn't up to the guys doing the research. Sometimes the response is science based and sometimes it's not with political pressure from all sectors playing a role.

Obviously there will be less pictures on this and other sites of people’s catch

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    Obviously there will be less pictures on this and other sites of people’s catch

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Why? unless you have over your limit and say you were on your own, pictures don't mean anything, nothing wrong with posting pictures of legal size fish.

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    So at least you have stopped calling it a 'quota' but it's not really a 'limit' either. You don't seem to realise that it's not all about you. The impact is collective and the partication in recreational fishing is going up. As to the weather - we have always had bad weather on occassions - but boats are bigger and better now and with better comunications. Also it not really a case of 'getting it wrong' they are just monitoring the state of the fishery and responding.

PS: Why do you need 3 or 4 mates to go fishing? 1 is ideal on my boat.
    boats are bigger and better with such communication advancements since the last Snapper review? Wake up to yourself.

Of course they are getting it wrong. If they got it right last time the biomass wouldn’t have dropped even further.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    boats are bigger and better with such communication advancements since the last Snapper review? Wake up to yourself.

Of course they are getting it wrong. If they got it right last time the biomass wouldn’t have dropped even further.
    Where did I say - 'since the last review'? I mean over a longer course of time - obviously. And this make the weather less of a limit than it used to be.

And according to the discussion paper I saw, the aim of the new restrictions is to build snapper stocks up to 60% of virgin spawning biomass in five years. So it seems like a case of setting the bar higher.

PS: so are you saying that the restrictions should have been tighter earlier? Or what are you saying? Also is there really any 'right or wrong' as to how much biomass is left in the sea? It's largely a matter of opinion.

Digressing for a minute, a scientist mate of mine used to collect data on fish numbers in rivers, to do that they would section some off, poison it, then count up all the dead fish, eels etc....never could get my head around that.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Digressing for a minute, a scientist mate of mine used to collect data on fish numbers in rivers, to do that they would section some off, poison it, then count up all the dead fish, eels etc....never could get my head around that.
    Seems a bit fetched. Don't they just stun them temporarily with an electrical current?

I was in a deep sea fishing club for about ten years,it is wrong to assume everyone is capable of bagging out,that is some are only ever going to manage a feed at best.
    NSW Fisheries asked for and got our catch records once while doing a creel survey.......would definitely be more accurate than boat regos(still can't get my head around that).

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    I was in a deep sea fishing club for about ten years,it is wrong to assume everyone is capable of bagging out,that is some are only ever going to manage a feed at best.
    NSW Fisheries asked for and got our catch records once while doing a creel survey.......would definitely be more accurate than boat regos(still can't get my head around that).
    Qld has done the creel surveys and the data from them is used along with the estimated number of fishers based on participation rates per boat rego at the time. This has been extrapolated using the rego data as one of many inputs for the calculations. If you look at the graphs for effort - they show a reduction in the number of "ocean days" so they are aware that not every boat is out there fishing - it's just that no one has wanted to pony up the money to get more accurate data. As for bagging out - it's estimated that there are 950 000 recreational fishers in the state. If they are using a catch number of only 56 000 fish it means that only 5.8 percent of the fishing population need to catch one snapper each over a 12 month period to reach that amount. If we look at it in terms of bagging out - If 1.5 percent of the fishing population bag out once for the year, that equals the entire estimated recreational take.