Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deep Drop Fishing Tackle

Re: Deep Drop Fishing Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by hooknpull View Post
    Don't waste your money on the lights. Run lumo tube on ur 200lb leaders off the mainline..
    Thanks HNP - reckon I will run both lights and lumo - probably Saturday Night Fever @ 450m

Catch a Blue Eye Trevolta
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by theoldlegend View Post
    What length are you going to cut the reo Anthony?

TOL
    I think Trev's nailed it mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    I think Trev's nailed it mate.
    So pretty much you had no idea until Trev posted hahhahah.... sounds a bit like me....

You guys have any money left for the Chiropractor(non electric reel guys) after all your purchases/ im all for the guy who suggested using the anchor ball to pull em up, wonder what size braid ill need for that? I wont be on the water for a month so im eagerley awaiting news of your forays to the depths.

You don't need lights to fish for ooglies,especially when your only sending down 3-6 hooks.
    Lights are ok when commercial fishing as you are setting up to 100 hooks vertically and the lights draw the fish up the line but 3-6 hooks set on the bottom right amongst the fish you do not need them at all.
    Rope traces are just as good as nylon as well.
    I only ever used 4-5mm rope traces and they catch equally as good as nylon traces.
    Traces made from VB cord work exceptionally well.

I was reading something recently on the weights and it was suggested longer lengths of thinner round bar or reo worked better than short thicker stuff or cans of concrete etc as they don't spin as much on the way down
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    I was reading something recently on the weights and it was suggested longer lengths of thinner round bar or reo worked better than short thicker stuff or cans of concrete etc as they don't spin as much on the way down
    Less drag in the water acting against the weight too.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie123 View Post
    I only ever used 4-5mm rope traces and they catch equally as good as nylon traces.
    Traces made from VB cord work exceptionally well.
    What is VB Chord? - google reckons it is either a guitar string or an accelerator cable for a VB car

I will look up the crimp swivels as I am not sure droppers from a solid ring will not twist as per rig in my sketch below.

So from what people are saying is this generally the rig:-

deepsearig.JPG
    Cheers

Trev

don't uses solid rings, use these

you want your rig to look something like this

(thought your skipper might have passed this on.......)
    S***fish & chippy

Quote Originally Posted by fish'n'chippy View Post
    don't uses solid rings, use these

you want your rig to look something like this

(thought your skipper might have passed this on.......)
    I don't think the skipper would have much idea except for a few very well written pms that make him sound like he knows what he's doing.we all know who the real genius here is.

Quote Originally Posted by Floating Rib View Post
    You guys have any money left for the Chiropractor(non electric reel guys) after all your purchases/ im all for the guy who suggested using the anchor ball to pull em up, wonder what size braid ill need for that? I wont be on the water for a month so im eagerley awaiting news of your forays to the depths.
    Okay, here's a crazy suggestion from left field.

Get a bladder from a manual activated PFD, bundle it up in some light string or tape to make a long skinny sausage shape. Attach it above the trace. Attach a seperate line to the deployment cord.

When the fish or fishes are hooked on, activate the PFD, the PFD busts off the tape, pops open and the fish come to surface. Decky winds in slack line and collects fish!

Yes, I know ... it defeats the purpose of going fishing to do it so easy!

Yep, PFD would most likely be crushed at those depths!

But .... had you thinking about it!!

Cheers,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    I don't think the skipper would have much idea except for a few very well written pms that make him sound like he knows what he's doing.we all know who the real genius here is.
    Pick me pick me......

A question wouldn't a swivel to a 5 gang paternoster rig work? onto a looped sinker like you would snapper fishing except bigger... im giving it a go in August.....

Just my two Bob's worth:
    Lights_ Yes . Flashing, water activated, at the top.
    Heavy three way swivels are fine ( got mine frpm Wellsys - see catalogue)
    Lumo tube on all droppers. Its dark down there so load up on daylight FIRST)
    Weights- old tubular cutoffs ( like pool cleaner handle) filled with something heavy and set a BIG swivel in the top.
    Crimp leader to swivels etc.
    Re number of hooks, dont bite off more than you can chew, You'll be chewing for a long long time!
    Cheers
    Brendan

I kind of think you guys are making something simple rather complicated, forget all the light sticks and swivels and shit, keep it nice and easy, some 100-200Lb cheap mono for droppers, a simple knot to some bigish hooks, a simple dropper loop on the bottom for the sinker (maybe get real tricky and use light line for the sinker) and some method to wind/pull/lift the thing from the bottom, but don't over think the whole thing.