Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: has anyone fished the tubes

has anyone fished the tubes

Hey fisho's
    has anyone on here fished the torpedo tubes at jarvis bay if so what did you target .
    Cheers MJF

Re: has anyone fished the tubes

what are the torpedo tubes?
    "True Blue"

The torpedo tubes are just that I dont know exactly what years they were made but what they are is a blasted underwater area so that in the war if we were attact we could send torpedo's out from the cliffs (there is asome vids on land based marlin fishing from here i think about 10 or so fish were landed in a day) I haven't been there as yet but will be when we go from Nowra to fish the shelf.
    Cheers MJF
    Quote Originally Posted by loophole View Post

sounds good. so are they like under water tunnels?
    "True Blue"

http://www.oceantrek.com.au/tubes.html This has a little on it I know its a fair hike for land based fishing but there isn't many places in the world that you can get yellow fin and large kingies and marlin from land must be a hoot to do but we are gonna try our luck there in the morning then head out to the shelf and bottom bounce the 250 meter drop then troll for a while
    Cheers MJF
    sounds good. so are they like under water tunnels?

this has to be in top five lbg spots in aussie have caught yellowfin, marlin and kings there great spot but most times need to take live bait with you but can catch frigates at times brings back great memories

There was a video out a few years ago i think it was called "land based addiction"or something like that it had some good footage of marlin caught there live baiting from the cliff ledge's.Dan.........

(Outer Tubes)
    This is a legendary LBG fishing platform located on the NW headland of Jervis Bay (Near Nowra) ..... Its a fairly small & narrow ledge that drops into quite deep water (at your feet) .... The name comes from the remaining (but rusted out) torpedo launchers that are concreted to the platform. They were there just in case the Japanese attacked the bay during WW2 (There is a naval base there) ... Anyhow its a little bit of a walk down from the Beecroft Lighthouse car park ... but nothing to drastic >> While the place has a great reputation with several Marlin caught every summer season ...... It gets very crowded & you really need to sleep on the ledge to have a spot (+ the slimies go off at first light) .... I would only go there during week days.. Baits are kept alive in kids blow up pools)..... While I fished this spot during the mid to late 80s ... I never managed a marlin (landed) .... I've lost two (one at the gaff & 1 that I never looked like stopping ..... Did get some kings & a couple of YFT.
    The last time I had a look there (7 or so years ago) ..... The place was a mess (rubbish) ..... & there would of been 20 people fishing a ledge that really only accomodates 5 ...... Anyhow its a piece of Aust fishing heritage & part of LBG folklore ............ I hope that wasn't too boring Nagg
    PS .... There are the Inner tubes on the North side of the bay .... While no where near as good .... I've seen some huge kings there ...... but that's another story

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    (Outer Tubes)
    This is a legendary LBG fishing platform located on the NW headland of Jervis Bay (Near Nowra) ..... Its a fairly small & narrow ledge that drops into quite deep water (at your feet) .... The name comes from the remaining (but rusted out) torpedo launchers that are concreted to the platform. They were there just in case the Japanese attacked the bay during WW2 (There is a naval base there) ... Anyhow its a little bit of a walk down from the Beecroft Lighthouse car park ... but nothing to drastic >> While the place has a great reputation with several Marlin caught every summer season ...... It gets very crowded & you really need to sleep on the ledge to have a spot (+ the slimies go off at first light) .... I would only go there during week days.. Baits are kept alive in kids blow up pools)..... While I fished this spot during the mid to late 80s ... I never managed a marlin (landed) .... I've lost two (one at the gaff & 1 that I never looked like stopping ..... Did get some kings & a couple of YFT.
    The last time I had a look there (7 or so years ago) ..... The place was a mess (rubbish) ..... & there would of been 20 people fishing a ledge that really only accomodates 5 ...... Anyhow its a piece of Aust fishing heritage & part of LBG folklore ............ I hope that wasn't too boring Nagg
    PS .... There are the Inner tubes on the North side of the bay .... While no where near as good .... I've seen some huge kings there ...... but that's another story
    Hey NAGG have you fished the area by boat if so where do we go ive been told its not a good idea to fish close as landies get irked and i dont blame them i dont like it when on a good bite and some moron decides to sit on my stern
    Cheers MJF

put your boat in at husky head straight for perpendicular you will see the tubes just inside the western sideit may be abit early for the yellowfin in there yet but little
    bro told me there were fish caught south of the banks during the week
    so you never know

Quote Originally Posted by mad jewie fisher View Post
    Hey NAGG have you fished the area by boat if so where do we go ive been told its not a good idea to fish close as landies get irked and i dont blame them i dont like it when on a good bite and some moron decides to sit on my stern
    Cheers MJF
    MJF ..... Only once .... Ran a few close passes with big Rapalas for kings (It was early in the season ... & no one was fishing the stones ! Personally I wouldn't deliberately fish off the tubes in a boat ..... There is no need to If the marlin are around they will be right through the bay .... Its just that the tubes is a fishable spot for LBG> > > I reckon I fished LBG around 20 fishing days & on 4 or 5 occasions we saw marlin free jumping 400 - 800 meters out ....... So a boat drifting livies would be the go for sure ............... If you want to give it a crack ... Keep your eye on the weather from Jan through to March ..... A week of good NE winds & the right currents(look on the net for Sea surface temps) These conditions will funnel the pelagics into the bay. I haven't spent anywhere near enough time fishing the bay in a boat ...... but mates that have ... tell stories of Marlin (nearly always blacks) .... Taking livies while fishing the middle grounds for kingies or having snapper taken .... Nagg
    PS .... Let the LGB boys have their spot ..... Yes they do get narkey ... but I dont blame them when you see fools trolling 50-100 off the rocks .... & the next Marlin that is lost due to a prop wont be the first or last! .... when conditions are right ... the LBG drift could be 200M

My wife and I live close to Jervis Bay and fish there regularly in our boat.

GPS co-ords are S35.05.235 E150.47.949. There is a rock ledge where the land fishers go, and the water drops off into around 20-30m of water with an underwater hill around 15 meters offshore about 20m across where it is much shallower. The sounder really goes off when the fish are on, with the hill showing fish all over it.

The platform does get very crowded especially at weekends and if we see land fishers there, we just leave them to it and go elsewhere. Have had some great multiple hookups with kingies there. From November to April you can't anchor there (Marine Park restriction) so it can also get exciting when you are drifting in the boat so close to the rocks. This is especially so when the wind is SE, because the wind is trying to blow you simultaneously onto the rocks and into the adjacent prohibited fishing (Marine Park sanctuary) zone.

Jervis Bay area is great for fishing. Anyone coming down should also check out "the Banks".

Cheers,

Myde

Quote Originally Posted by myde View Post

GPS co-ords are S35.05.235 E150.47.949. There is a rock ledge where the land fishers go, and the water drops off into around 20-30m of water with an underwater hill around 15 meters offshore about 20m across where it is much shallower. The sounder really goes off when the fish are on, with the hill showing fish all over it.

The platform does get very crowded especially at weekends and if we see land fishers there, we just leave them to it and go elsewhere. Have had some great multiple hookups with kingies there. From November to April you can't anchor there (Marine Park restriction) so it can also get exciting when you are drifting in the boat so close to the rocks. This is especially so when the wind is SE, because the wind is trying to blow you simultaneously onto the rocks and into the adjacent prohibited fishing (Marine Park sanctuary) zone.

Jervis Bay area is great for fishing. Anyone coming down should also check out "the Banks".

Cheers,

Myde
    Myde .... How are the Banks fishing these days ? ..... When I had my CC I used to go out of Greenwell Pt & fish there for Kings & Reds .... Got some good fish there during the 90s ...... Unfortunately I now only have a Hornet .... so I cant get out there (but I could get into the bay ..... just a little wet when the Northeaster kicks in) .... Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by myde View Post

Cheers,

Myde
    Cheers for that Myde
    Have you ever bottom bounced the first dropb out there
    With the closed zone from Ulladulla to Bermi including Monty Island it has made it harder to target kings and snapper and the beach fishing has got harder,I dont mind the closure zones but I fish jewies of the beaches and one of the ones ive had good results has been fully closed so now i have to look for another and the locals dont share secrets down that way,the marks will be a huge help
    Cheers steve

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Myde .... How are the Banks fishing these days ? ..... When I had my CC I used to go out of Greenwell Pt & fish there for Kings & Reds .... Got some good fish there during the 90s ...... Unfortunately I now only have a Hornet .... so I cant get out there (but I could get into the bay ..... just a little wet when the Northeaster kicks in) .... Nagg
    We had some great fishing at the Banks this year up to around the end of May, but its been a bit quiet for us since then, though we have heard that some other boats are doing OK. It is a bit of a haul out there and back, but once you are out there the variety of species always impresses.

Once the water warms up a bit we'll be back out there in force!

Cheers,

Myde