Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Us Your Aquarium Fish....Past & Present

Re: Show Us Your Aquarium Fish....Past & Present

Quote Originally Posted by Aigutso View Post
    Just a question, ive had your usual freshwater tanks over the years, but not recently. Saw a great display tank recently with live corals and marine fish which really appealed to me,, just wondering the level of difficulty to set one up and look after it, also for a decent sized tank roughly what sort of budget are you looking at really,, not all the sales blurb you get...

whats the advice for pitfalls and what to look for.
    cheers
    Mike
    Mike,

I'll give an answer since I have a reef at home. Gotta say I agree with you. Nothing imo, compares to a well set up reef in terms of colour and diversity. In fact, 99.9% of fresh water tanks absolutely bore me to tears. I have 12-15 fish, a couple of anenomes, about 50-60 coral colonies, shrimp, sea stars, and loads more in crystal clear water. A FW/brackish tank like most of the other photos on here doesn't compare in my view. (No offence to those that like keeping big fish in small tanks with yellow water

I have never kept a fresh water tank.

You can spend as much or as little as you like on a marine tank. A small fish only tank might set you back $500 or so much like a basic FW setup, but this is very basic with almost no scope for keeping coral/anenomes etc. My own tank has probably set me back more than my boat (4.3m/50hp) over the last several years, but I stopped counting ages ago. I could have spent a hell of a lot more if I wanted to.

A couple of pieces of advice to get you started:

Patience: DO EVERYTHING SLOWLY AND THINK IT THROUGH. Very important. Nothing good happens quickly.

Read read read then read again. Don't take the opinions of the shop owners as gospel. Most of them are just trying to sell stuff. You can DIY if you understand what is going on.

Decide what you want to keep before you buy the equipment. Setup up the tank to suit the type of coral you want. If you do this, the fish won't be a problem.

A bigger tank will be more stable and forgiving than a smaller one. I'd suggest 3x2x2 as an absolute minimum. Of course, costs can skyrocket on a large one.

Buy the best equipment you can afford, and only do it once.

I hope I haven't scared you. If not, pm me and I'll give you some sites with plenty of reading to look at.

cbs.

Many thanks, i like the idea of slowly building it up over time, if you could point me in the direction of a couple of sites for me to research that would be great, many thanks

mike
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    Jack and jaguar.

Pete
    Nice jag there mate , i recently had the chance to get a small jag bout 10cm, but i didnt have enough tanks so i had to let him go. They are my favorite SA cichlid, i am going to own a breeding pair in the future hopefully!

very nice fish!

Cammo
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

ok i no its been a while but i finally took pics of my red scat, the saddleback loach and the butterfly fish. i only got the butterfly fish last thursday and he is so cool.

and yes i didnt clean my glass before i took the pics

Great thread you've started cammy and some really good photography aswell. My pride and joy are my tarpon and my bass that i caught locally. Unfortunately the morning sunlight no longer hits the pool so i think it's going to be impossible to get some good shots of them until summertime. Anyone who lives in the brisbane area who has fresh water natives or estuary species that can handle fresh that have outgrown their tank and are looking for a good home for them drop me a pm. I'm happy to buy them off you (within reason). Can't take the likes of sooties or barra cause the pool will get too cold but jacks, bass, cod, yellas,silvers etc should all do fine.

cool mate thanks for the imput!

all my shots are really shabby, but everyone else are good

Cammo

Quote Originally Posted by Cammy View Post

all my shots are really shabby, but everyone else are good
    Yeh thats what i ment .

The shot of the dwarf zerba lion by cbs is awsome.

when taking shots of fish in a tank and using a flash make sure you are standing at an angle, that way the flash will reflect away from you instead of straight back, also by being zoomed the whole way in and change your distance from the tank to adjust frame size will also help.

Cammy, that Gudgeon has eyes for the butterfly fish!!!!
    If it disappears you'll know where it's gone!

How big is that Gudgeon????? Is it a purple-spotted???

Jeff.

Hi guys
    For the past few months i have taken up a new hobbie. i have been making my own stands. 3 ft i have mouth brooders, 4 ft have bristles, loaches, guppies, neons, double tank i have dwarf cichlids at top and babies from 3 ft tank at bottom.

Ronnie

Not real good pics but you get the idea--- Still more tanks to come????

[ATTACH]sum[/ATTACH]

Attachment 25514

Attachment 25515

Attachment 25516

Attachment 25517

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie H View Post
    Hi guys
    For the past few months i have taken up a new hobbie. i have been making my own stands. 3 ft i have mouth brooders, 4 ft have bristles, loaches, guppies, neons, double tank i have dwarf cichlids at top and babies from 3 ft tank at bottom.

Ronnie

Not real good pics but you get the idea--- Still more tanks to come????

[ATTACH]sum[/ATTACH]

Attachment 25514

Attachment 25515

Attachment 25516

Attachment 25517
    Nice looking tanks there mate , looks like its been done by a pro! how big do you build them a i need a 3x2x2 stand and hood .

Cammo

Quote Originally Posted by ffejsmada View Post
    Cammy, that Gudgeon has eyes for the butterfly fish!!!!
    If it disappears you'll know where it's gone!

How big is that Gudgeon????? Is it a purple-spotted???

Jeff.
    Um im not sure which pic your refering to because im stupid lol . but the purple spot it bout fully grown so round 15 -17 cm, the butterfly fish is bout 8cm not including the tail, and the 2 spangled gudgeons r bout 12cm.

And guess what, lol i got more fish today , i got O.gryonodes which is the third species of sleepy cod, and are really hard to get your hands on , but i finally got there after a month and a half and hes sitting in my tank now.
    i also got 2 grunters that are harmless, named gilberts grunter, really nice silver fish and they are not aggresive.

Cammo

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy87 View Post
    Yeh thats what i ment .

The shot of the dwarf zerba lion by cbs is awsome.

when taking shots of fish in a tank and using a flash make sure you are standing at an angle, that way the flash will reflect away from you instead of straight back, also by being zoomed the whole way in and change your distance from the tank to adjust frame size will also help.
    yer mate i have tried and tried but i get what you mean, i usually point it to an angle and the flash goes away but some shots the flash has to be there otherwise you cant see the fish, and i dont have zoom either as im just using a crappy little c300 kodak camera.

Im thinking of getting a better one that can actually take nice shots of tanks and fish, cause i have this site that i can enter your photos in and if you will in a poll you get to have it published in this months aquarium book.

thnx for the tips mate!

Cammo

Hey Camm

Young son has six footer.

Thought of making a few to sell but just haven't got the time. I work 50 to 60 hours a week now so when it comes to the weekend i just sleep or go Fishin.

Would do some to sell if i had the time.

They are easy to make. Took me a little while on the first one but the more you make the better they are.

I built these to blend in with our furniture and a big plus was that they were cheaper than buying one in a shop.

Cheers
    Ronnie
    Last edited by Mrs Ronnie H; 25-04-2008 at 11:24 AM.

Yer it would cost less and be a better make and sturdier. I should probly learn how to build one myself , but i have no tools or anything, i have 1 drill 2 saws 3 hammers heaps of nails lol and a tape measure.

Might get arund to it one day.

My fav tank out of yours is that dual tank one on top of each other, just looks stunning and out of the ordinary!

Cammo

I used to be into aquariums big time. Unfortunately I didn't take too many photos but managed to find a couple. I don't have the time these days to look after tanks but would like to have at least one tank again. I kept all kinds of fish ranging from Discus, North American Cichlids, African Cishlids, Australian Rainbow fish, and much much more.

Texas Cichlid

Torquise Discus

Regards,

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.