Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydrofield information

Hydrofield information

Gday everyone

i have just purchased a 1988 Hydrofield 18
    it come with two 60hp 4 stroke Mercury outboards witch feels very under powered and the engines are working very hard for not a lot of speed maybe 48 km/h

this site seems to have the most info I can find on them in the world!

was hoping that there is still a few people on here that have them and can shed some light on on there experiences and that I could seek some advise from so I don’t do anything that some one has learnt from

one thing to start off with is where are you mounting the transducer so it sees clear water at speed?
    at the moment in the boat I have purchased it has the Furuno p66 transducer siliconed to the floor of the kill tank ( doesn’t look good) and it dose work but not at speed

looking forward and hoping there is still some Hydrofield owners about

Thanks
    Maury

Re: Hydrofield information

They aren't speed demons. My mates have 135/140 hp motors on their 18ft Jags.

Put the p66 at the rear of the centre hull where it terminates mid way down the boat. Full read at speed in that position.

Be aware that a single is often mounted offset if you repower from the twins. Some blokes on here are big fans of the offset single.

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post

Put the p66 at the rear of the centre hull where it terminates mid way down the boat. Full read at speed in that position.

Be aware that a single is often mounted offset if you repower from the twins. Some blokes on here are big fans of the offset single.
    If you are committed to the Hydrofield life you run your single offset. It's about the purity

Matt

Thanks CT

i was planning on staying with twins but 90hp counter rotating

with the transducer mounting I think I understand where you mean but is that where the air comes out the centre Hull?
    i thought the water would be to aerated there?
    any chance of a pic

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    If you are committed to the Hydrofield life
    Then you must live in Yeppoon

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    It's about the purity
    Not the smell?

Quote Originally Posted by Reefgeek View Post
    Thanks CT

i was planning on staying with twins but 90hp counter rotating

with the transducer mounting I think I understand where you mean but is that where the air comes out the centre Hull?
    i thought the water would be to aerated there?
    any chance of a pic
    That's the spot - on the back of that step as you would on a normal transom. If the smaller ones are the same as the bigger boats, the cable can be run through that air chamber up into the anchor well and then back into the boat. Keeps it neat and tidy and protected. Just need to make sure it can't contact the trailer and you don't let it sit on the beach.

Then you must live in Yeppoon

Not the smell?
    Yeppoon is the spiritual home, the smell is a measurement of the purity

Matt

Thanks for the replies

can anyone help with going from twin setup to a single in regards to the offset
    is the motor just offset in the original holes from the starboard engine?
    and is the offset to counter the prop torque? Or is there another reason for it
    i was going to go for twin 90-115hp as they are all the same weight as the boat was designed for twins but looking at the idea of a single 150hp
    just I can’t get enough info about what it was done and if there is any cons to a single

I googled that model boat it is quiet a big boat for 60hp engines

https://www.google.com/search?q=hydr...&bih=520&dpr=3

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Funny thing is it was only rated to 120hp
    I have had a marine engineer re asses the boat and it has now been upgrade to 230hp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a huge leep in horse power

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

There is absolutely no point in overpowering a 6.1 Jag. The hull design only goes so fast irrespective of what you strap on the back. I'd imagine that a 150 would even be overkill.

What brand motor are you considering?

Have fitted a few 18s with 150 Hondas... they go well
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    Have fitted a few 18s with 150 Hondas... they go well
    A mate owned a 6my jag with around 100hp 2 stroke Merc (memory a little hazy on the exact HP as it was quite a few years ago) but for such a big boat it went surpringly well. It was mostly used inshore so I can't comment on its offshore capability but it was a great boat for its intended use, family around jumpinpin etc.

Do they have a tendency to porpoise a lot, every one I've ever seen was bouncing like a yoyo.