Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Building 23' catamaran. Build updates

Re: Building 23' catamaran. Build updates

Hi Steve
    Any updated pics of boating adventures now she's in the water???

Quote Originally Posted by MarkIC View Post
    Hi Steve
    Any updated pics of boating adventures now she's in the water???
    Hey Mark,
    No new pics yet, everything (bait table, rod holders, live bait tank) is a work in progress. Meanwhile I'm about to go up on the slip on Friday for my 20 hour service and to raise the antifoul waterline. The bows are ok but the stern is low due to extra weight of engines, extra and larger fuel tanks (2X larger permanents and 2X portables), and possibly design miscalculations. As a result, I'm getting growth on the paint (above the antifoul) in the back half of the boat. Waterline is OK at the bows with at least 100mm of antifoul constantly exposed

What I plan to do, while the boat is up on the slip is to strike a line across the stern about 100mm above existing antifoul then to take this line down to the existing antifoul line at the bows. Then I'm going to paint on a new long triangle of Coppershield raised 100mm at the stern down to nothing at the bows.

I'm also going to permanently mount my transducers after having experimented with various temporary options. Basically, I've decided to set up a second fish finder at the stern which I can watch while fishing; the one in the cabin is too difficult to access unless I'm driving the boat.

S
    S&S34
    Spirited 230

Question on pump for live bait tank

Hey Guys I have two options for getting water through my bait tank. One is to use the high capacity saltwater washdown pump and run a "T" off the washdown fitting leading to the bait tank. I'm wondering if this pump (mounted in the dull and attached to a thru-hull water inlet) will take the constant cycling.

The other idea is to take a 500GPH Rule submersible bilge pump that I already own and mount this externally at the stern in a submerged position. This could either run continuously or set up to cycle every 5 minutes or so.

So, 2 questions 1. which approach sounds better and 2. cycle the pump or run continuous?

Thanks again for your input

PS If you read the previous post on "raising the waterline" I'd like to acknowledge right now that all you were right about the weight of a fishin' boat when we first discussed that two years ago. I was wrong, and the designer was wrong; even fancy composite designs are heavier than planned when put to use for fishing.

Steve
    S&S34
    Spirited 230

Steve

IMHO and if it were me I'd mount a bracket to allow you to fit an external pump to feed the bait tank so you can replace the pump easily when it dies which it probably do when you least expect it. Perhaps you might consider one of the brackets that you can raise and lower so the pump is out of the flow when your travelling and moored too.

Glad to see all is working out well for you.

Happy 4th by the way! At least over here your out of the traffic over there.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Well the sun came out yesterday and it now looks like my next boat won't have to be Noah's Ark after all.

Here's a few pics of the raising of the waterline. Basically due to heavier motors, extra fuel tankage, and a more commodious cockpit, she was a bit heavy in the bum. Running the twin 70 Yammies seems to lift the stern fine so the cav plates are ok under way. It was just sitting on the mooring that the green stuff was getting on the paint, at the stern, above the previous waterline.

I did the work at Brooklyn Yamaha (marina) and I can't say enough good things about these folks. I ended up having to spend an extra 4 days on the slipway due to my errors and they absolutely didn't kill me in charging for it. Plus they were happy to give me a lift down to the station when I need it. Friendly old fashioned service with great quality and helpfulness.

IMG_1974.jpgIMG_1973.jpgIMG_1975.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    S&S34
    Spirited 230

Hi Steve
    She looks sweet, glad to hear all is going well for you and that you have found a marina you can trust who doesn't take a kidney for their services
    Safe boating for the summer season
    cheer Mark

Looking great Steve! Would love for you to share some pics of you out enjoying it over summer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Woo View Post
    Looking great Steve! Would love for you to share some pics of you out enjoying it over summer.
    Off topic, but how is your boat coming on Woo?

Well, we'd come to a virtual stop for several months as the sparky kept taking other jobs. He's a "can't say no" kind of guy.
    And given the scale of the job we couldn't just get someone else in to finish it, as it's his design, and he needs to finish it.
    Suffice to say he is back as of this week, and work is progressing.

Hey boys, been doing a bit of maintenance. Two weeks ago today I added a bit of new stainless steel.
    Steve

I stand behind everything I say, except usually I'm prone.
    S&S34
    Spirited 230

Recover well Steve, probably too late to suggest you drink more milk?

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

I am waiting for someone to notice and comment! Hope the recovery goes well
    I am so happy to wake up in the morning.

Beats the alternative!

Thanks boys,
    I'm recovering well. At the 14 day mark the pain is gone, I'm walking with just a walking stick. Stitches out tomorrow

S&S34
    Spirited 230

Did you break the old one Steve or did you wear it out?
    My Missus broke the ball off hers last Australia Day, she has 2 or 3 big self tappers holding the cup part in.... it freaks me out.

I wore both hips out. Last 6 months of the boatbuilding was very painful but I wanted to finish before having it looked at. Then the wait was about 6 months. I'll probably need the other one done in the next year too

S&S34
    Spirited 230