Thread: Merc 150 4 stroke

Merc 150 4 stroke

Gday all. I have done a bit of a search on the title and haven't found a great deal of info. Am considering seriously purchasing a set of 150 merc 4 strokes to throw on me boat - 8m plate boat. Just chasing some real world goss and figures for the mercs. Am a keen suzuki fan but the mecs look good.
    So if you have any comparisons or any goss it would be appreciated, especially fuel, noise and maintenance issues. I have read the merc propaganda.
    cheers
    Mal

Re: Merc 150 4 stroke

Mal

pm NQ-FISH (Alvin) he has a pair on his 7.5 metre plate charter boat running out of Hay Point between Sarina and Mackay. Last time I spoke to him he didn't have a lot of hours on them but he was more than happy with the change over from 130 Etecs (I believe).

I repowered a haines 565L with the 150 merc ...done about 130 hrs now

service..at this stage getting dealer service to maintain warranty..cost me about $450 from memory.

The wash down system is very easy to use and the trim on the side of the motor is used a lot

Fuel ..I dont do long runs...so I dont take that much notice...cant help on that.

Noise ...well at lower speeds its low....at idle neglible at high revs theres noise but easily liveable with.

Power..the 565L is a heavy old boat and yet she scoots along up to 73kmh on the gps 50mph on the guage and pushes along the extra weight of three up and gear without noticing much difference.Again fishing boat not much interested in holeshot..

generally Im happy...it seems to be what the blurb says..but Im cautious about the corrosion factor in mercs and de salt after each us..does it work....I guess will know in a few years time!

Yep ditto to Inveratta. I too have a 565L with the 150 four. Fuel wise probably 1.55km to a litre. Just did a trip out from Raby Bay to 29s outside the bar and clocked up 90kms and used about 60 litres of fuel. If you have a look on You Tube, there is some videos of VMR Jacob's Well running a cat with twin 150 Fours.
    Duck

good motor. Smoother and quieter than a Yamaha. Cant comment on fuel usage comparison, but all 4 strokes will be similar.

I have one with about 150 hours fitted to a 6.5 metre plate boat.
    Fuel usage on average would be around 1.5km per litre give or take.
    Maintenance cost per annum or 100 hours is approx $450.
    Engine noise is on par with most 4 strokes.
    Overall I'm very happy with it, heaps of grunt!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk