Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Dream Machine

Re: The Dream Machine

Thanks guys for the comments.

We decided to take this adventure on after losing my dad (at the ripe young age of 54) 4 years ago, we decided it's a bit like having kids, you are never really ready or have enough money -just do it before its too late.....

Its even more important that we follow this dream now as yesterday my mother-in-law passed away suddenly after a major stroke out of no-where.............words just dont describe.

I will certainly keep some progress photo's coming as they happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear001 View Post
    we decided it's a bit like having kids, you are never really ready or have enough money -just do it before its too late.....

Am very sorry to hear of your sorrows. Best wishes for solace in your grieving.

I think that there is much wisdom in what you have said about there never being a right time for some things. Before deciding to retire early a few years ago, I did a bit of research into the probability of debilitating illnesses affecting people as they get older.

Lots of graphs about the propensity of various illnesses against age are available at the Bureau of Statistics as well as other reputable sources and the picture that they show is that pretty well from one's mid forties upwards, there is a pretty fair chance that people are likely to suffer some illness or impairment that will seriously reduce their chances of an active retirement.

In my neighbour's case, at age 58, it was Parkinson's Disease which has changed his retirement plans quite considerably. Likewise, many of us will know of people who have died a few weeks or even days after retiring.

As an old Rod Stewart song says,

"Never wait or hesitate
    Get in kid, before it's too late
    You may never get another chance
    'Cos youths a mask but it don't last
    live it long and live it fast"

Best wishes in living your dream.

Condolences Bear for your and hubby's loss.
    Even more encouragement from me for the refirb of the bus and the trip too.
    Just have the best time you can.
    AT least if you have a blue, there's heaps of room to ensure you won't see each other for a while Build a time out corner, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear001 View Post
    We decided to take this adventure on after losing my dad (at the ripe young age of 54) 4 years ago, we decided it's a bit like having kids, you are never really ready or have enough money -just do it before its too late.....

Its even more important that we follow this dream now as yesterday my mother-in-law passed away suddenly after a major stroke out of no-where.............words just dont describe.
    It sad that it takes a knock like the passing of a close family member/s to make us realise things happen....and when you least expect it to happen.
    I tip my hat to you and your husband in making your dream a reality.
    Too many people only ever get to the dream stage.

My mum and dad had the dream of travelling Australia with the camper on the back of the ute and the boat behind.
    They started with an old ute that was hit by a train.
    We rebuilt that. Every nut and bolt.
    Then an old slide on camper was found.
    We kept the fridge, the windows and the cladding. The rest was rebuild by us.
    They did it and they are better for it. They'll also probably live longer for the experience too....
    And they'll never wonder what if. Neither will you.

Here's their little cosy camper.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

OK -Progress now daylight savings has kicked in & can get home and into it! (Plus now the wifey isnt galavanting around the world fishing in Fiji & Gladstone )

Windows out,outside panels out.

Inside stripped a bit more, downstairs toilet out (bloody rust!)

Having a bit of trouble getting the wooden floor up...damn good shit they used when they glued it in!

Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions.

Our plan is to rent the house out, and because we have been self employed and have no damn super...we will work around in our travels.

3yrs & we will be on the road is the aim. By then hubby will be 53 & I will be 40 - so as he is a diesel mechanic & HC truck licence, bobcat certs etc from our earthmoving business, and I have been in admin/payroll/accounting all my life, plus I too have truck licence - we hope it should be easy enough to get work.
    Hope to not have to use caravan parks for our long term stays so parking this ridiculous rig shouldnt be too much an issue...lol
    Cheers
    Cind

Gday Cind,
    mate Im sorry I miss this thread when you started it!!!!, but Im going to be glued from here on in.
    With you and your hubbies background ... work will be easy !!!. Only thing is the farther north you go the more piss they drink !!! . This might be a problem
    knowing that you dont enjoy a drink !!!!.
    wamjam

wamjam

Awesome looking job. Do those things have load ratings for carrying and towing that you have to worry about?

The winnebago is in my sights one day. Just have to work out the money situation, just like you.

Fruit picking could be interesting for a while as parking at the farms could be a goer.

Will be watching this thread with interest

Cheers
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by wamjam View Post
    Only thing is the farther north you go the more piss they drink !!! . This might be a problem
    knowing that you dont enjoy a drink !!!!.

wamjam

Uh huh!!!!

Big job bear.. keep the updates coming..

Regards
    HOnda

Now all you have to do is keep count of :-

1...Beers consumed while making good the bus.

2...Number of " f " words yelled in frustration

3.. Smiles as each little bit comes together.

Love ya work !!!!

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

WOW all the best to you guys Bear

I know a bloke that has built two homes from old buses, the one thing that amazes me is how good the fuel economy is towing a fully enclosed trailer with Prado and boat in it. he can take the Prado out of trailer hook up same trailer to Prado and take fully enclosed trailer (just like a caravan) with boat in it to smaller places.

It is amazing to see where he can put the coach and trailer too

so many options so many places to go

cheers Murf

cool gonna be glued to this one! keep the pics comin!

Half your luck.
    Does the driver need a log book ?
    But I do envey you two.

Gday Cind , Hows the bus going?? .
    We stayed at some friends place at Walkerston , just west Mackay and they had a bus about the same model , looked great..
    I have a 4 season hatch out of our van , from when I fitted the air con if you blokes need it !. Its yours in exchange for a fishing trip !! and I'll bring the beams !!.

Scott

any more updates or pics?