Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: has anyone fished the tubes

Re: has anyone fished the tubes

Quote Originally Posted by mad jewie fisher View Post
    Cheers for that Myde
    Have you ever bottom bounced the first dropb out there
    With the closed zone from Ulladulla to Bermi including Monty Island it has made it harder to target kings and snapper and the beach fishing has got harder,I dont mind the closure zones but I fish jewies of the beaches and one of the ones ive had good results has been fully closed so now i have to look for another and the locals dont share secrets down that way,the marks will be a huge help
    Cheers steve
    We are all "learning to live" with sanctuaries, closure zones and other forms of bureaucracy. I guess with all the people who fish these days there has to be some control, but sometimes I can't see how it makes sense. As an example, the fine for fishing in a Marine Park sanctuary zone is about three times what the fine is for exceeding the speed limit in a school zone!

Glad the marks will be of assistance.

Cheers,

Myde

Quote Originally Posted by myde View Post
    We had some great fishing at the Banks this year up to around the end of May, but its been a bit quiet for us since then, though we have heard that some other boats are doing OK. It is a bit of a haul out there and back, but once you are out there the variety of species always impresses.

Once the water warms up a bit we'll be back out there in force!

Cheers,

Myde
    Ah ... If they could only do something with the Currarong (ramp) ... Nagg

We are all "learning to live" with sanctuaries, closure zones and other forms of bureaucracy. I guess with all the people who fish these days there has to be some control, but sometimes I can't see how it makes sense. As an example, the fine for fishing in a Marine Park sanctuary zone is about three times what the fine is for exceeding the speed limit in a school zone!

Glad the marks will be of assistance.

Cheers,

Myde
    Sad isnt it' cant even protect our kids from road idiots,
    They have done this as a way of closing areas to pros so in that way i like it just sucks it had to be a place that i fish.
    Murphys law lol
    Steve

Mate you wanna speak to a member on here called....'setthehook'.....(Rob).
    He knows the tubes backwards and has had some amazing LBG captures including a 110kg black marlin last season.

I have spun off the rocks down that way and livebaited for kings but it can become VERY crowded when the fish are on.

Cheers
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Ah ... If they could only do something with the Currarong (ramp) ... Nagg
    Yeah mate, the Currarong ramp is pretty ordinary.

We always launch at Crookhaven - it's a lot longer run, but a much safer launch/retrieve.

Myde

Yeah mate, the Currarong ramp is pretty ordinary.

We always launch at Crookhaven - it's a lot longer run, but a much safer launch/retrieve.

Myde
    specially for a glass boat ...... shame it would cut the run from memory to about 5nm to the inner pinnacle ... Nagg

another desirable feature of the 'Tubes" is the fact that a Summer nor easter blows almost offshore and in doing so helps get your balloon and bait away from the rocks, the bottom fishing is not all that flash there, but some good fish have been caught just the same, it is a very rugged but good looking part of the Coast, and indeed litter left by dickheads will threaten any access in the future I reckon!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    another desirable feature of the 'Tubes" is the fact that a Summer nor easter blows almost offshore and in doing so helps get your balloon and bait away from the rocks, the bottom fishing is not all that flash there, but some good fish have been caught just the same, it is a very rugged but good looking part of the Coast, and indeed litter left by dickheads will threaten any access in the future I reckon!
    Actually .... I've seen a few nice reds (up to 10lb) caught during a long quiet session ...(the kingies usually got caught in close when you couldn't get a decent drift ... & they could turn up at any time).... It could be a seriously good place to fish .... but I remember some of those summer afternoons with just a light NE wind blowing that you just sit there & fry due to lack of cover & we never had enough drink with us!!! ....... Actually I'd love to know how far back the LBG fishing went at the tubes ........ I go back to the mid 80s .... But I heard of the place first in the late 70s .... Nagg

I remember treks in there with guys using old Alveys back in about 1971 and I am sure we were a long way from being Pioneers of the place, they used to get some pretty good yellowfin from the Rocks on some pretty ordinary gear and long home made gaffs and stuff, then came the walk back out with the fish and it was uphill going back, so in some ways a good fish was not so great then.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I remember treks in there with guys using old Alveys back in about 1971 and I am sure we were a long way from being Pioneers of the place, they used to get some pretty good yellowfin from the Rocks on some pretty ordinary gear and long home made gaffs and stuff, then came the walk back out with the fish and it was uphill going back, so in some ways a good fish was not so great then.
    Noelm ,,,,,, It wasn't much different in 1984 (Hand made gaffs , fixed & flying) .... Penn Senator reels ..... & funny rods (I used a Kilwell 6'6" fully rollered game rod... with Aftco butt ) ...... i did see more than a few decent blacks that had to be cut in half for the trip back to the car ........ & 50-70 lbs of YFT is no fun either ..... ... Nagg
    PS ..... Before anyone asks ..... There is little catch & release in LBG .. because the fish are spent ..... & so is the angler !

My wife and I live close to Jervis Bay and fish there regularly in our boat.

GPS co-ords are S35.05.235 E150.47.949. There is a rock ledge where the land fishers go, and the water drops off into around 20-30m of water with an underwater hill around 15 meters offshore about 20m across where it is much shallower. The sounder really goes off when the fish are on, with the hill showing fish all over it.

The platform does get very crowded especially at weekends and if we see land fishers there, we just leave them to it and go elsewhere. Have had some great multiple hookups with kingies there. From November to April you can't anchor there (Marine Park restriction) so it can also get exciting when you are drifting in the boat so close to the rocks. This is especially so when the wind is SE, because the wind is trying to blow you simultaneously onto the rocks and into the adjacent prohibited fishing (Marine Park sanctuary) zone.

Jervis Bay area is great for fishing. Anyone coming down should also check out "the Banks".

Cheers,

Myde
    Hey Myde where do we go to get livies
    Cheers MJF

Quote Originally Posted by mad jewie fisher View Post
    Hey Myde where do we go to get livies
    Cheers MJF
    We usually get them close in off Currarong when we are fishing the Banks, but can't always guarantee that they'll be there.

Myde