Thread: Maroon, Moogerah or Somerset?

Maroon, Moogerah or Somerset?

Hey guys, was going to have a go at some bass in my tinnie over the weekend and was wondering which option would be best for this.

Re: Maroon, Moogerah or Somerset?

Moogerah is closed because of blue green algae. Check out latest update with seqwater here. http://www.seqwater.com.au/news/334

Scalem

Lake Moogerah has been re-opened to water-based recreation activities (Friday, 4 October 2013)

Lake Moogerah has been re-opened to water-based recreation activities, following recent closure for water quality issues.

The decision follows Seqwater investigations, water quality testing and consultation with national experts in water quality.

Signage advising of the temporary closure has been removed from the site.

http://www.previous.seqwater.com.au/...s/moogerah-dam

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem View Post
    Moogerah is closed because of blue green algae. Check out latest update with seqwater here. http://www.seqwater.com.au/news/334

Scalem
    That page is out of date Moogerah was reopened on 4/10/13 and the problem was due to e coli not algae.
    Lake Moogerah has been re-opened to water-based recreation activities (Friday, 4 October 2013)
    Cheers
    Ray
    http://www.previous.seqwater.com.au/...ces-and-safety is the page you should check before going to any seq water dams.

Cool, thanks guys I obviously missed it! Apologies for the misinformation.

Somerset has been pretty good lately with some nice Bass being taken.
    Even picked a few up myself.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Junk Hard View Post
    Hey guys, was going to have a go at some bass in my tinnie over the weekend and was wondering which option would be best for this.
    Stay away from Lake Maroon, you will be promptly told to leave because your standing on private property and the owner is rude,obnoxious and a complete A@#$
    LITTLE SKIPPER!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSkipper View Post
    Stay away from Lake Maroon, you will be promptly told to leave because your standing on private property and the owner is rude,obnoxious and a complete A@#$
    Where were you standing? Being owned by SEQ water the dam would be government owned shouldn't have a problem to tell him to go get f&*$%d.

As far as I am aware if the property is still used to run cattle e.g. dairy or beef then its mostly leased from SEQWater during or before SEQWater acquired the land for dam or dam mitigation purposes.

In the upper reaches of Wivenhoe Dam, heading out of Esk there is a property owner that has a very large parcel of land running cattle on his property. (The property owner knows the person I was with for a few years).

From my understanding on our conversation either 1 or 3 ft above the riverstream is crown land, (it was some time ago when we had this conversation) rest is leased e.g 99 year lease.

To access land above that 1 or 3 foot level you do need permission from the landowner. SEQWater had to be notified in advance for a permit to be issued. We were not involved in fishing per say; but required access to certain parts of the dam (research activity).

Hope this might clear up some issues or misconceptions.

Cheers, Bondy

At any of SEQWater lakes you are not permitted on any adjoining land unless it is a public access area controlled by SEQWater. The leaseholds adjoining the water are treated as private property and trespassing is not permitted. Depending on where Little skipper was standing he could very well have been trespassing on private property. There is no distance from the high water mark or any other regulation.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

I used to have an inflatable which was not much good for fishing in rough water.

Anyway I pulled over to the bank at a spot near Queens St and fished off the bank for half an hour. Not much good so I decided to try another spot. However when I looked at my boat there was a huge cow standing in it!

I was borne and bred in Liverpool, UK and there are not many cows there, so I had no idea how to get the thing out of my boat and I was not going to go any closer to it.

"Shoo" and such shouts just made it look at me with its evil eyes. It seemed to be saying " you fish off my land - I stand in your boat"

So, like a true fisherman, I carried on fishing. An hour or so later the cow moved on and I took off in the boat at ninety miles an hour never to trespass on that bit of dirt again(To be honest ninety miles an hour is a slight exaggeration. My 32 pound electric fell a bit short of that)

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    At any of SEQWater lakes you are not permitted on any adjoining land unless it is a public access area controlled by SEQWater. The leaseholds adjoining the water are treated as private property and trespassing is not permitted. Depending on where Little skipper was standing he could very well have been trespassing on private property. There is no distance from the high water mark or any other regulation.
    Aussiebasser, I can send you a copy of the Deed I received from SEQWater for our activity, land is private and and not public, I will have to blank out the names due to Privacy Act, etc. Obviously little skipper's situation is different to ours. Send me your contact email. Bondy

I think you misunderstood me Bondy. If a person leases the land from SEQWater you cannot trespass on it. There are no rules about a certain distance from the water, it's all private property.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Aussiebasser is correct, you cannot enter any land on the shores of any SEQWater owned dam as the land is leased to the adjoining landowner or a club and if you trespass you can and will be prosecuted, this is particularly being policed at Wivenhoe dam now that it has been opened to restricted motor boats, not even the leaseholder can legally launch a boat from his leasehold land.