Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Ausfish Premium Membership option

Re: Ausfish Premium Membership option

Just like to reiterate that this site does a great job. I just subscribed, although the ads and speed never really bother me as I have a pretty fast connection. I look at it as a sign of support more than anything.

As for having an elite area (like GPS marks), it doesn't bother me too much, but why not allow PLATINUM members to also get access. That way anyone who is true committed to the site is rewarded.

Keep up the good work, it is truly appreciated.

Dave

I thought the site was fine as it was - bloody good in fact.
    I was happy to pay the small amount for listing in the 'for sale' section.
    I guess this in not a poll and you've already made up your mind about this however I would've suggested increasing the price of advertising to cover costs e.g. compare listing price v.s. the likes of bo@tpoint or other websites.
    I'm not going to rush out and spend the $40 but I may come around later, I won't argue with the owner because...
    LIFE'S SHORT - FISH MORE!!!

great idea steve i will get this onto my to do list, and i will pay asap.

regards,
    keechie
    Breaming is my LIFE!!!

will the premium memberships be divided into categories also to show how long the person has been around on ausfish?

Jeremy

I think it is a bad idea.

Apart from the regulars that frequent and post a lot, there are many lurkers that come on and view. When you open sections that are only available to paid up members, these lurkers will reduce in number. Which will reduce the overall numbers on the site. Possibly reduce the advertising income. Of course I have nothing to back this up. It is just what I think will happen. I lurk on a couple of sites, but not a member. If I found that I was only seeing part of those sites, I would stop visiting them.

I suppose there are 2 parts. The fee, and the paid members only section(s). Keep the paid section if you like, but don't exclude non paid members from anything.

Cheech

I don't care either way.

I enjoy reading whats on here, and joined so I could comment and be part of it all.

Have since met some great people, and had some great times, seen some great places.

I would join the Eletest's if I thought it would benefit me, and may do, but at this stage I don't see the need for me personally, alllthoooouugh the thought of being an ELETE and rubbing others the wrong way, hmmm

Steve is that GST Inclusive for the tax minded

Mate you have to cover costs and that's a fact of life so go for it, those that wish to become Premium members will and those that don't? well some of them will whinge as seen.

Jeremy
    Last thing, a bit more transparency might help convince me and maybe others to bear the extra cost. What are the running costs for this site? Tax deductable? What is the advertising revenue you make? Are the moderators paid?
    You have to have enitial cost first and there is none, so what's extra cost? and as it is Steve's business, we don't really need to know.

Just my opinion

Rob T

I think it's on the money but personally it is neither here nor there atm, will be interesting to see where it goes, cheech's comment above might hold some reality given time. There has been a captains club on another site for years I have noticed, not sure if it was more of a charity like payment that didn't exclude, not sure if this one strictly does or not, people can be pretty fickle regardless, given a little time might see the mods big red button getting a workout over in economy class LOL!

cheers fnq

I visit Ausfish nearly every day and then a few times a day when I'm around. I guess for those for whom the advertising/speed thing is an issue an unencumbered premium membership access may have benefits.

Extra PM space? Just means I accumulate more - anything i want to keep a recod of i do a copy paste and drop into my ausfish file so that's not so much an issue for me,

Extra photo gallery space? again currently not an issue as I haven't set one up.

As far as elitism - it will only happen if we allow it to. As far as dividing the site or discouraging visitors, time will tell.

GPS marks??? We mostly find our own, wouldn't want to profit at the expense of someone elses hard work.

Steve, its your site, there are costs, if the $40 is an expression of support - It's only a carton of beer and I'd reckon most blokes here would not have a problem and shout you one every 6 months for the privelege of participation any way, and you've kept the door open for those who want participate who don't like a drink so no harm donw.

I gues its one of those suck it and see things...if the visitors or numbers drop off, it might need to be reviewed, but I would expect as costs are escalating everywhere, there will be a lot more user pays stuff emerge. I know of churches where parents pay to have their kids in sunday school or creche now - what ever happened to Christian Chivalry???

But Ausfish is an enterprise so no problems here with your proposal.

cheers

Rhys

Quote Originally Posted by Cheech View Post
    I think it is a bad idea.

Apart from the regulars that frequent and post a lot, there are many lurkers that come on and view. When you open sections that are only available to paid up members, these lurkers will reduce in number. Which will reduce the overall numbers on the site. Possibly reduce the advertising income. Of course I have nothing to back this up. It is just what I think will happen. I lurk on a couple of sites, but not a member. If I found that I was only seeing part of those sites, I would stop visiting them.

I suppose there are 2 parts. The fee, and the paid members only section(s). Keep the paid section if you like, but don't exclude non paid members from anything.

Cheech
    Hey Cheech is right - if we get rid of Lurkers we might not get so many bogus ETEC threads, and we won't have anywhere near as much fun!
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyJ123 View Post
    Would love to sign up, but i dont have a credit card.....how do i do this?

Greg

Me, too, only cheque.
    See reply number 18 to this thread

Timi - you are reprehensible!!!!! (pronounce the R as "w" in true life of brian fashion!)

I will sign up. Its a good idea. Next pay.

THX

To save doing more than one transaction (now) Steve. Have you considered a nominal fee (say 10 bucks) for kids who's dads have already signed up?

The full cost might prevent some kids from hitting the site in their own rights and using their parents accounts, thereby reducing the overall picture of membership.

kev
    Last edited by kingtin; 05-06-2008 at 08:29 AM.

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin View Post
    To save doing more than one transaction (now) Steve. Have you considered a nominal fee (say 10 bucks) for kids who's dads have already signed up?

The full cost might prevent some kids from hitting the site in their own rights and using their parents accounts, thereby reducing the overall picture of membership.

kev
    Hi dad! will be around this weekend I swear..see you then.

your loving son

Sorry but that door was left wide open, good idea though.

cheers fnq
    Last edited by FNQCairns; 05-06-2008 at 08:33 AM.

for me the jury is still out on this one.

The ads don't bother me..
    I think it may lead to an 'us & them' attitude from some, these will probably be the first to deny that will happen..you will always get the diehard loyalists to pay..
    I doubt you will get any decent GPS marks anyway
    As stated before, having to pay for full access will stop a lot of lurkers from bothering..

& does this mean if we are paying for membership that mod5 will leave all as is or keep putting his own personal slant on things??
    Last edited by DR; 05-06-2008 at 08:44 AM.