Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How high to lift the motor

Re: How high to lift the motor

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Do a search for some of Jabbas posts Sam. He did a lift on his Seafarer with a heavy gauge alloy plate (looked to be about an inch thick). Lot less additional setback than a Jacking plate - just not as easy to make fine adjustments. Ideally you should find a brave soul to try and get a look at the leg once you are up on the plane and trimmed out to see if you can get any idea as to where the anti-vent plate is sitting in relation to the water hitting the motor - might give you a bit better idea if you can actually see with all the water flying around. Rule of thumb is it should be just skimming the water for best performance - just bare in mind some props don't like running that high.
    Scott, I did have my mechanic Ken with me on a run in the passage a couple of weeks ago while trying to resolve a noise issue and he was totally surprised at how low in the water it was.
    I did suggest to him a 15mm ally plate but it has its pros and cons, probably the cheapest solution although the last time I bought a 10 mm plate I was a bit shocked at the price.

Unless your anti vent plate is sitting more or less at the water surface as suggested by scottar your motor motor is in need of lifting.

My marine tech makes plates and the jacking plate is the other way to go.

Trim tabs (not sure if you have or not) will help as will a foil on the motor but you still need to lift the motor by some means.

Its probably heavier than the boat was initially running too?
    What could go wrong.......................

Chimo, it certainly is heavier than before, used to have a 1971 150hp merc, a lot lighter, 4 strokes have adied a lot of weight. I have trim tabs but the anti vent plate is still buried.

Still needs to go up
    A jacking plate that moves the weight further back would not be my choice,
    A plate made by someone who knows what he is on about re motor positions would be possibly the better way to go

OR fit a lighter motor even with less HP could still give you very acceptable performance

Whats the budget?
    How keen are you?
    What could go wrong.......................

Yeah, buy a new boat

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Ask Moejoes. He's got all the answers

Just don't ask him how much fuel to carry..........

Just put that fuel bladder and some extra sand bags up front - will also help absorb some banging in a head sea

QUOTE=Dignity;1635268]Thanks Chris, most theories I've seen are probably a little more conservative, 1350 mm as i have calculated out to 112mm but I've only got 80 mm, 150 mm would be great. A jacking plate would put the motor back another 100mm and I'm trying to resist that as on the trailer it already has too much weight on the rear, still something else I'm battling. I have thought a 15mm ally plate bolted on the back might do the job or modify the transom which is a little more work.[/QUOTE]

Sam, you could try 4 pieces of heavy duty aluminium angles so you could utilise the original transom holes without the need to drill more.
    You could then bolt the 2nd set to the motors and have a series of holes up the sides of the angles for adjustment.
    Doesn't need to be permanent, more so just to see how the boat / motor preforms when lifted before making any permanent changes.
    I'll drawn a sketch if you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Still needs to go up
    A jacking plate that moves the weight further back would not be my choice,
    A plate made by someone who knows what he is on about re motor positions would be possibly the better way to go

OR fit a lighter motor even with less HP could still give you very acceptable performance

Whats the budget?
    How keen are you?
    Chimo, keen to get something sorted, don't want to spend megabucks at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    Sam, you could try 4 pieces of heavy duty aluminium angles so you could utilise the original transom holes without the need to drill more.
    You could then bolt the 2nd set to the motors and have a series of holes up the sides of the angles for adjustment.
    Doesn't need to be permanent, more so just to see how the boat / motor preforms when lifted before making any permanent changes.
    I'll drawn a sketch if you need.
    I've got the idea Rob, might be worth a try, have to bring the boat around to your place, probably end up building a new boat in the process.

There ya go Sam,
    Took me just 2 mins to draw the motor for illustration purposes only
    Tony would've drawn it quicker
    image.jpg

Mind you it's a Suzi drawn.
    Not one of those Yami's you guys always talk about

Looks like a 150 evinrude etec?

That could work less weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Mind you it's a Suzi drawn.
    Not one of those Yami's you guys always talk about

You getting that shape "Suzi" next Rob are you. Guess at least the fuel data is accurate

Obviously I'm no boat builder, but is it feasible to add on to your existing motor pod in the downwards direction ? So the pod and main hull/keel are on the same level.
    That would change the dynamics in your favour I think ?
    The add on wouldn't have to be structural to support the motor because that structure is already there. The add on only has to extend the hull.

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

There ya go Sam,
    Took me just 2 mins to draw the motor for illustration purposes only
    Tony would've drawn it quicker
    image.jpg
    At least mine would have been in colour...........