Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How's the fishing/yabbying at Somerset ATM

How's the fishing/yabbying at Somerset ATM

Heading up to Kirkliegh next week for a week of camping, fishing, drinking and not much else just wondering if anyone has been there lately? ahhh the serenity I can hear it now.....

SAM_0248.jpg
    Last edited by Ausfish; 27-09-2017 at 02:10 PM.
    Cheers Axl

Re: How's the fishing/yabbying at Somerest ATM

373 views and not one reply oh well doesn’t look like anyone has been there lately. The guys on the other forum were saying the Red Claw are very slow ATM but that was at 6m depth.

When I get up there next week I will scatter my eight pots over various depths and see how I go, should I get onto a few I’ll let you know.

Can’t wait, this time next week I’ll be at the Kilcoy races enjoying a few coldies hopefully sharing stories of big Red Claw and big winnings on the last…..

SAM_0249.jpg
    Cheers Axl

I am interested too.

We are heading up there on Thursday night for a 4 day stay and would like to pick up some red claw if they are around.

Darren

Plenty of big bass being caught in the Bay13 and Pelican Pt areas, you'll need to locate the schools 1st though. redclawing is slow but should improve a little each week now that it's warming up. Good luck and let us know how you go please.

Will do.

I am relatively new to redclawing, do you set shallower in the cooler periods or do they stay deep and are just less active?

Darren

Was there last week. The Claw were hard to come by, but bagged a few very big specimens north of Kirkleigh, in the sticks north of the 6 knot markers, deeper than 10m. Also bagged a few good size bass trolling deep diving lures in the same area. Scored a couple of bass around the Queens St walls late in the arvo.

Ok, 7 days 8 pots 40 Red Claw they are still a bit slow ATM although they were all a good size. I had my pots scattered in water depths from 4ft to 24ft and the best catches were in the 8-12ft range.

I was there with two other boats, one guy had his pots in the Queen Street area and the other had his half way between the boat ramp and Queen Street. They were getting the same amount of Red Claw as I was and they were getting their best catches in the 8-12ft depths as well.

Didn't do any fishing but the guys repairing the boat ramp said the Yellowbelly were fishing well at Pelican Point and we saw some nice big Bass being cleaned at the fish cleaning area.
    Last edited by Axl; 17-10-2014 at 08:15 AM. Reason: More info
    Cheers Axl

I was at Somerset today Monday 10th November, with prawnin pete to see if any redclaw about.

We put 8 pots out at various depths and waited for an hour, if there were any redclaw about there would have been at least one or two caught. We caught zero, we offered a cocktail for redclaw, a mixture of salami, rock melon and skin off gold sweet potato...tried another spot for the same result.

Pulled the pin , retrieved our pots and went back home. Nice weather, very little wind but no redclaw.

Bondy

Thanks for the update bondy99, I have found over the years that they don’t move around much during the day (if at all) you need to soak the pots overnight. I am heading back up there on the 27th for a few nights I'll let you know how I go.
    Cheers Axl

up at somerset at the moment been here 4 weeks 30 red claw a night 8 pots plenty of yellers up at the 6 knots zone sticks and a few bass

Axl,

I thought that might be the case unless they are very active. I have caught them during the day on the odd occasion but that was a few years ago.

Overnight soak would be the go. Would be good to catch some yellas and couple of bass next time. I've found live shrimp to be the best bait. Finding where bass and yella's are is the key.

Went to a landing point within somerset dam few years back and noticed couple of rabbits and hares, I was keen to bag them for an evening meal of baked rabbit / pan fried rabbit and slow cooked hare. Never got to get them, had no traps on me at the time.

Cheers, Bondy

Quote Originally Posted by 39NESP View Post
    up at somerset at the moment been here 4 weeks 30 red claw a night 8 pots plenty of yellers up at the 6 knots zone sticks and a few bass
    4 weeks you lucky bugger, the yabbies should be well and truely starting to come on now and it sounds like they are, thanks for the update.....
    Cheers Axl

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    Axl,

I thought that might be the case unless they are very active. I have caught them during the day on the odd occasion but that was a few years ago.

Overnight soak would be the go. Would be good to catch some yellas and couple of bass next time. I've found live shrimp to be the best bait. Finding where bass and yella's are is the key.

Went to a landing point within somerset dam few years back and noticed couple of rabbits and hares, I was keen to bag them for an evening meal of baked rabbit / pan fried rabbit and slow cooked hare. Never got to get them, had no traps on me at the time.

Cheers, Bondy
    watch the rabbits up here they are baiting them even around the dam

Quote Originally Posted by 39NESP View Post
    watch the rabbits up here they are baiting them even around the dam
    39NESP, Thanks for letting me know, good points and bad points about that. Good to see those buggers being killed off, but a mongrel when one wants to trap a couple for a feed only to discover they have been baited.

Cheers, Bondy

Ok we are heading back to Somerset on the 19th to see if we can get some Red Claw as the freezer is now void of the tasty little morsels, last time we were there this happended 20141127_181659.jpgwe got absolutly smashed although we were much luckier than some 20141128_061047.jpg. The minister for war and finance then said that the CT was no longer appropriate so we sold it and brought this 20150125_132147.jpg.This meant I couldn’t carry the tinny I had been carrying on the CT as it was too heavy for the roof of the Pajero so I then had to go out and buy car topper, I also purchased a Rhino Rack Side Boat Loader to save the minister (and me) any heavy lifting 20150301_130310.jpg. So my quetiosn, How's the fishing/yabbying at Somerest ATM?
    Cheers Axl