View Poll Results: Do would wind with your left or right hand?

Voters
355. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am right handed and wind with my right hand

207 58.31%
  • I am right handed and wind with my left hand

84 23.66%
  • I am left handed and wind with my left hand

4 1.13%
  • I am left handed and wind with my right hand

32 9.01%
  • Doesn't worry me - I am very talented and can wind with either hands!

28 7.89%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Right or left handed winding?

Re: Right or left handed winding?

the main consensus seems to be (with right handers anyway) to use your strongest arm to pump the rod & wind with your left hand. it seems to me that it would be easier to build up your strength in your left arm & then not have to worry about changing habits (if this indeed is the only reason). or you could just purchase one of those electric reels & not have to worry about any hard work. the bonus with that is you could utilise the spare time you'll have rubbing moisturiser into your hands & elbows. hehe.

Matt

P.S. I've just noticed on the poll that there's no lefties that wind with there left hands........interesting.
    Last edited by Mattg68; 10-09-2007 at 12:01 AM.
    c'mon, take the bait....

i think its a crock of........use what ever hand you feel comfortable with. most of us will probably use which ever side you started with as a kid.

I can say that in all my years of fishing i have never lost a fish because of what hand i wind them in with

I've probably casted a fishing rod about a million times or so in my life.

I think I'll be sticking with what has surved me well during this time and how I was taught as a kid.

Louis

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post
    I have seen the experts like Rex Hunt say that the left hand should be the winding hand but I struggle with the concept because lifting the rod is a far less complex activity than winding and palming and flicking bail arms over and flicking bait-runner levers etc so I remain happy to lift with my left dumb arm and do all of the clever things with my right hand.
    That's exactly the way I see it too Charlie'. I was brought up on Alveys like the majority of guys here 35+ would have been I am sure.
    I too have tried to wind left handed but it feels awkward and I am out there to fish, bait and retie the kids lines & try to have a good time and don't think it's worth the extra effort to be trying to read the water, conditions and try a new foreign skill all at the same time. I might give it a go down the river a couple of times in the near future as I am getting a new b/c rod soon and will take it out to test cast it. While I am there I might give the l/h wind a try while I am only casting

It all depends on the reel - really

My Tiagra 80ws don't really come in left hand wind all that much. Same as a lot of the bigger offshore reels - even the good old TLD 25s.

But when it comes to finesse with trout spinners and the new fly reel then I cast with the right and wind with the left.

I've also got Alveys which I wind with the right and an Abu 6500c that winds on the right.

When fast speed spinning for tuna and macks I'll switch the handle over from right to left and left to right once each arm/hand gets tired.

I'd prefer just to call myself talented

Brett

i was taught to wind on the left hand side. im right handed i cast right handed but wind left. all my baitcasters and spinning reels are left but i have to get used to the overhead types when fishing outside

Thumbs down Re: Right or left handed winding?

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post
    I have seen the experts like Rex Hunt say that the left hand should be the winding hand but I struggle with the concept because lifting the rod is a far less complex activity than winding and palming and flicking bail arms over and flicking bait-runner levers etc so I remain happy to lift with my left dumb arm and do all of the clever things with my right hand.
    Rex Hunt is an expert? At what? (Besides a loud mouthed clown)..

Now I've just baught my first decent egg beater and a flick strick to go with it.
    I've been stricly alvey till now.

I wholey expected to cast with the left and wind with the right....... I had a fiddle and decided evn though it is a bit weird to me.... it is more satisfactory to cast with the right and wind with the left.

I took it out for a spinn this afternoon......... didn't hook anything but certainly with this style rig I'll be winding with the left.

Now would I wind with the left on a bigger egg beater rig..... a two hander...... I don't know.

cheers

oldboot, I am in the same situation, being right handed i have always wound with the right hand but having seriously moved into flicking soft plastics things have changed. It makes sense if you are predominately right handed that this is the hand/arm i will use for accuracy when casting . Makeing a cast then changing to the left hand so i could wind with the right didn't make sense. Takes some getting used to but definately worth it. If I am out the front chasing spaniards and GT's I still wind with the right hand . Regards Shane
    Fishing! Its the way of life.
    Southwind 6.70

i put it dose'nt bother me as i have and still do fish both ways, if i could only have it one way i would prefer it to be left hand winding keeps my strong hand free to hold the weight of the fish on the rod!

Good day
    I think its a Aussie thing (right handed winding if right handed).I think in the US they tend to wind with the left if right handed(but they are yanks hay).Im a swapper right cast in most situations right hand wind always.After 30 odd years i know no better.
    Cheers
    Reidy

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    Jeremy has it spot on. The dominant hand holding the rod idea is total crap.

both arms are pretty much just as strong as one another
    I doubt you would be saying that after 5 hours of tossing plastics.

Quote Originally Posted by Flattie Assassin View Post
    I doubt you would be saying that after 5 hours of tossing plastics.
    Which species are you basing this on? If its flathead you need to harden up a bit cause i'd barely describe flicking rubbers or bream tackle as fatiguing. I haven't done much deep water jigging but that is the pinnicle of fatuiging luring, i wonder which hand fishers use for that. I do however do a sh!t load of high speed spinning for mackeral and tuna and i can tell you that when your fishing light tackle and have to play a longy for 45minutes that your rod arm is the one that aches but its the winding hand that gets the work out (your ability to gain line on a fish is dependant on how fast you wind, slower winding = longer fight time). Remember that you can pull up with both hands but you can only wind with one.

Hi,

I am right handed and learnt as a kid to cast right handed and wind right handed as that is how my mitchel reel was set up {non changeable}
    but these days i mainly do light lure tosing and i thought it made sense to wind left handed and not have to change hands to start winding also feel like im in control bit better retrieving with my dominant hand.
    I didnt find it difficult to learn to wind left handed - casting left handed now thats a different story!!
    Anyway its the way i now fish except with the heavier overheads and i cant see myself going back to right hand winding. im converted.

Right handed but wind with left hand for me. Just the way i was brought up. Seems most comfortable to me now but at times it can be a burden. Am looking for a new overhead reel for impoundment barra and am finding that the range has been dramatically reduced due to particular reels not coming in left hand wind!