Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garmin/vesselview nmea problem

Re: Garmin/vesselview nmea problem

Thanks Scottar that makes perfect sense. I will see what parts I can get tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Appreciate the help!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Ausfish mobile app

No luck scottar. I rigged it exactly following option 2 but no change. So I'm guessing that means it is software...surely Im not the only one running the 502 and garmin though! Strange garmin know nothing about it... also couldn't find anything on google/forums. Thank you for the help!

There is another option if they drag their feet with a software fix assuming the 502 only switches on when the ignition is turned on. By using a timer module https://www.jaycar.com.au/12v-3a-tim...nutes/p/AA0364 and a double pole relay in the blue and white wires, you can isolate the Garmin until a preset time period after the key is turned - allowing the 502 to be fully booted and operational - essentially the same as plugging the Garmin in after everything is up and running. I will have a look through the Garmin manual to see if there are any settings I have missed but I don't recall any with previous models.

Thanks Scottar looks like it might be a good last resort.

Garmin are still trying to help... slowly. Today they called and said to cut the power wire between the 502screen and the nmea backbone. (I explained how we isolated power to garmin to test but they insisted to try) anyway luckily I could use the ext cable I already chopped. Now the garmin doesnt turn off, garmin gets all info from engines but now the 502 gets no info from engines. So still no joy... Will give them a call again tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help!

Some NMEA devices will function without power - Navico's usually aren't one of them so no big surprise with what you saw. You could try leaving the Garmin's NMEA Port disconnected from power and even the ground wire cut (just blue and white connected). Try it like this both ways - plugged in when you start and then if it shuts down, plugging it in after start up. If nothing changes initially and it still functions when plugged in later, it is a data issue for sure. If it doesn't work at all, they have changed their set up as the older Garmins would work without buss power.

Just gave that a try... with power/earth off garmin tee it has no engine data. (Doesnt turn off but is not recieving data from network).

If I plug in after startup (with power/earth connected) then it gets engine data and works fine.

So your timer idea should work... if I can break the signal for maybe 30secs it should connect after fine. Would I need to hook the timer through both blue and white wires?

I have just checked the manufacturers website( http://www.kemo-electronic.de/en/Tra...12-15-V-DC.php ) on that timer and downloaded the instruction PDF. To use that timer you will need 3 things. The first is a relay that is triggered off the "start" pole of your ignition - this tells the timer to "switch on" for the preset time (basically the on switch in their diagram). The second is the timer module and the the third is a DPDT (double pole double throw) relay - the bit that actually does the switching and yes - it switches both the blue and white wires simultaneously. https://www.jaycar.com.au/12vdc-dpdt...tacts/p/SY4008 .There are other time delay relays and modules available that will simplify the project ranging from ebay specials through to a Hella time delay relay but the price heads skywards. Using one of these eliminates the need for the first relay but the DPDT is still required.

You could also do it with a simple DPST (double pole single throw) or DPDT switch but then you will have to remember to turn it off prior to starting.

If you decide you want to go ahead, I am happy to draw up a circuit but there is a bit involved. Do you have and know how to use a multi meter for finding voltage and continuity?

Had five this arvo so got the crayons out
    NMEA Delay module.jpgHope this makes sense. You will probably need to take the 12 volt signal for the first relay from "start" rather than "ignition" as the timer may not start until the relay releases - easy enough to test once you get it assembled. This will mean that if you turn the key and wait too long the Garmin will shut down. The system works by breaking the white and blue when required rather than connecting them. They will be connected unless the timer is triggered.

Thanks Scottar that is fantastic. Have & can use multimeter and can wire up your curcuit no worries. Would have been lost drawing it up though so thank you, your diagram is a great help.

Spoke with garmin again today who still think its a power problem however I thought the troubleshooting proved otherwise. They asked for a device list screentshot off the unit so will see what they come back with tomorrow otherwise Ill shoot down to jaycar on the weekend and grab the bits.

Thanks again, Ill let you know how it goes.

tmp_18482-20170320_1710561562657366.jpg

Hey Scottar, no joy with garmin so I rigged up your fancy timer circuit. I had to change it slightly and leave off the stop wire... could also be my lack of electronic knowledge interpreting the diagram too...but I have attached diagram of what I did. If I hit the fire wire (should be connected to 12v starter from key) directly onto power the circuit works perfect. Problem is when I connect it onto the ignition the start signal isnt enough to power the timer. I can hear the first relay click but the timer doesnt engage. When I put my multimeter onto the start signal it flashes to about 6v as the starter is held on.

Any ideas?

I also thought about hooking it to ignition power but the timer switch needs the signal to fire and release. Worst case I can hook it to a push button switch I suppose!

You don't have the connections on the first/second relay quite right. The second wire didn't go to the stop terminal - it goes to the common terminal in between the start and stop terminal. The first relay shorts the common to the start terminal. So - terminal 30 on the first relay has to have the 12 volt supply taken off it - the 12 volt supply goes straight to the timer module positive terminal. Terminal 30 is then connected to the common terminal - hopefully you haven't damaged the timer??

Thanks Scott... the difference one wire can make! Works perfect now. Thank you for your help!!

Quote Originally Posted by wahoofishingcrew View Post
    Thanks Scott... the difference one wire can make! Works perfect now. Thank you for your help!!

Happy days. If Garmin or Merc ever come up with a proper explanation / solution, let us know what the outcome is please. Cheers.

Realise this is a bit old now but a similar post reared it's head on the Evinrude owners group with a suggestion as to how to rectify it (albeit somewhat expensive and still a "suck it and see").

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/post/...6079?&trail=15