Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OPINIONS ON DOWN RIGGERS - please

Re: OPINIONS ON DOWN RIGGERS - please

Anyone tried the zwing type instead of bombs?

http://zwingdownrigger.com/blog/downrigger-fishing/
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

I like the look of those Triple!

Quote Originally Posted by joffo81 View Post
    I have a downrigger but havnt actually used it yet! How much line would you recommend to put out behind the bomb? Will it depend on depth or species or both? For example Scottar, are the snapper more shy than the macks so let more line out behind the bomb??
    Joffo
    There have been some good articles written by journos - Lee Rainer being one of them, in relation to downrigging snapper. Thus far I have just followed his lead using a lure that dives a bit and trying to keep the ball out of the school of fish. They are certainly not shy in the way they attack the lure with it fairly commonly being half way down their throat. The most success has come from lures with a chrome finish thus far. Typically I would run a 20-30 metre setback. The macks are a different thing due to using live baits and the water being a lot shallower - 10 to 15 metres as against 60. Setbacks would vary from 10 to 20 metres and my personal belief is that most times if spaniards are in an area and a live slimie (more so than a yakka) gets dragged in front of their nose they simply can't help themselves. I am usually pretty confident that if I drag a spread of slimies through an area 2 or three times without a strike that it is time to go somewhere different.

Thanks for your input Scottar. That's all I need to get started! cheers.

If you're looking for a bomb that can run at higher speed as well as slower speeds, have a look at the Livey Vibe.

They are 5 lb and because of their narrow profile work in the same currents/depth as a 10 lb lead bomb.

Livey vibes vibrate as you tow them and attract fish like a blade / vibe lure does.

They are made of stainless and reflect/flash the suns light over their fish scale polished pattern, drawing in even more attention.

The beauty of them is that as they vibrate, they give your dead bait some action for when the fish are picky.

livey vibe.jpg

That sounds like an interesting option, I will investigate further.
    thanks heaps.
    r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

didn't add in my opening section of this post, that I cannot tow livies, this is due to my motor being unable to run at the slower speed, TRUST ME IT HAS BEEN CHECKED OUT MANY TIMES BY A LOT OF OUT-BOARD MECHANICS, it is just the style of motor, also, I bought that motor brand new out of the box, the only way to run slow ...ish is to tilt up the leg, but that compromised steering, no big deal, my next motor will be a four stroke.

I have gone off track a bit, but want to explain why I can't tow live baits, if & when I get a down rigger or any of the other options I would still tow baits the same distance behind my boat, I have always found one shorter than the other, less problems if I am lucky to get a double hook-up. Anyway the pros out fish me on macks and they all use some type of down rigger, I am also restricted with a bag limit.

thanks r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

will look into that.
    r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    There have been some good articles written by journos - Lee Rainer being one of them, in relation to downrigging snapper. Thus far I have just followed his lead using a lure that dives a bit and trying to keep the ball out of the school of fish. They are certainly not shy in the way they attack the lure with it fairly commonly being half way down their throat. The most success has come from lures with a chrome finish thus far. Typically I would run a 20-30 metre setback. The macks are a different thing due to using live baits and the water being a lot shallower - 10 to 15 metres as against 60. Setbacks would vary from 10 to 20 metres and my personal belief is that most times if spaniards are in an area and a live slimie (more so than a yakka) gets dragged in front of their nose they simply can't help themselves. I am usually pretty confident that if I drag a spread of slimies through an area 2 or three times without a strike that it is time to go somewhere different.

I've never towed for snaps, only for spanish, I catch heaps of snaps down here (when I get out) but usually give them to the neighbours, I simply go out to catch big slimmies & pike, use plenty of burly from a burly cage lowered down around 4 metres depth when fishing in around 17ish metres of water using floating baits-pillies on ganged 5 or 6/0s, saves fuel, we only get spanish/macks down here when the warm water makes its way south, but it is not unusual to get 9 kilo spotties or 20kg + macks, I think it's because the bigger fish can migrate further, I could be wrong, just my opinion. Must add the floating baits are for the snaps & occasional mack, I fish for baits using a baited jig.

thanx R.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

where did you get those? you can message me with more detail if you want, I am not on line that often (work) so don't think I am ignoring your message please.
    r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

p.s. will get back to more responses over the next week or so.

thanks guys.
    r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

paravane.jpg
    paravane 2.jpg

Anyone used a plastic paravane.
    Got one but keep forgetting to try it.

OPINIONS ON DOWN RIGGERS - please

Can't see your pics banks.
    Quote Originally Posted by banksmister View Post
    Anyone used a plastic paravane...
    Yep, but not for a looong time. Used to work quite well, & liked the plastic ones in red or yellow, as they seemed to help attract the fish. Blue & green not so good 'for attracting' fish (IMO).

Depending on lure type & size, need to adjust the tow point (normally come with multiple tow point options, else they don't stay down & can create havoc messing other lines up.

I would mostly use them on 4-6kg line (game fishing) with a short breakaway tether tied to the trace swivel. Worked well. Heavier lines, with bigger lures, not so well (but I guess depends on the size of the vane).

In the very old days my old man would use them on heavy hand lines with Smiths Jigs, or spoons, as lures. Worked great too .
    Cheers
    Brendon

Quote Originally Posted by roz View Post
    didn't add in my opening section of this post, that I cannot tow livies, this is due to my motor being unable to run at the slower speed.

thanks r.
    Have you tried towing a bucket?

plenty of people using trolling bags or use your drogue if you have one.. Smallest drogue you can buy from most chandlery for $20 or so will work nicely.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    Have you tried towing a bucket?

plenty of people using trolling bags or use your drogue if you have one.. Smallest drogue you can buy from most chandlery for $20 or so will work nicely.
    or the other option is to Bunny Hop, put the motor in and out of gear, even some pros do this.