Thread: Golden Day from the Seaway

Golden Day from the Seaway

My best mate deserved to nominate whatever she wanted to do on her public holiday Monday and when she suggested fishing out from the Seaway, how could I refuse? I would have chosen SPB but somebody is too scared to come with me through that way, I might have stuffed that up by telling her my some of my previous bar crossings on a more challenging day .

The trip by road was uneventful except to say my chosen launch ramp at Lotus creek had no spare parking, so we braved it with the jet ski hoards you normally find at the ramps next to sea world nara on the other side of the broadwater. No surprises when I had my boat all rigged and ready to back her down when this testosterone filled gym jockey drives straight past me and immediately backs his jet ski down the ramp in front of me. Ah well, nothing unexpected and didn't let it bother me, choosing to wait patiently.
    We chose to head NE somewhere almost in line with the pin bar. Fishing started off slow, but it had me dumbfounded how anywhere could have so much bait showing but no strikes from anything that would attack our Zman shads presented in amoungst the bait schools. I tried an 80gm micro jig, nada thing. Swapped over to a 100gm knife jig on the fin nor jig stick, nada. There were arches showing around the outskirts of the bait school and underneath, but none of the methods used proved what they were. So I tested what I presumed were bait by dropping a feather jig and yep, loaded up a few slimeys. One of them found himself on the end of my wifes line and followed a small sinker down but nothing wanted to play ball despite leaving him to swim around for roughly an hour. The decision to change back to soft plastics MIGHT have been influenced by the boating of my 1st Snap for the day.

They started coming on board with the tide change, we struggled a bit, but when you start to think we had enough for a feed and good pan size fish around 40cm are released, I call that a good day. We moved to the 24s east of the Seaway on the way home and found fish again at 3pm in the afternoon which was a bit surprising, it's usually shut down this late in the day, we boated another 3 fish and left them biting. The plastic for the day was the same Zman 5" shad Short Fuse slayed them with when we fished off the cape a few weeks ago, nice one mate, I need to stock up on this and won't leave home without some in the future. Light lines, pan size fish, ( we kept 5 for the table but released 5 legal size fish) whales breaching close by and near glass conditions with the convenience of the Seaway that offered nothing in the way of swell to cross, it was a brilliant way to spend a public holiday.

Scalem
    Name:  FB_IMG_1444042297053.jpg_thumb.png
Views: 770
Size:  32.1 KBName:  FB_IMG_1444042311354.jpg_thumb.png
Views: 777
Size:  25.5 KB

Re: Golden Day from the Seaway

Did you get that snap at Sullies in a Yalta????

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Did you get that snap at Sullies in a Yalta????
    Was that you passing us and gave the thumbs up? Yes my Yalta is white with blue bimini. Is that the name of the spot? I have it in my GPS which may be one of the marks from Tackleworld southport when I attended a seminar there. How did you go?

Yep, that was us in the Victory. Nice fish - the photo doesn't really do it justice. Was an absolute cracker of a day. I was fishing with the family so it was very much a 10 - 2 affair. Ended up with half a dozen Trag so all things considered a good day out. I ran down from Vicy Point and out through the Pin bar - only takes about 45 minutes on a day like it was. Weren't the ramps an interesting spectacle to say the least.

I know that area as Sullies but I'm sure it goes by a different names to different people

I will have to follow someone out through the pin bar one day, might be easy on a day without swell. Maybe that's what I saw under the bait , Trag? Pillies? Didn't get any pillies this trip. Try this bigger version of the photo.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1444126539559.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	111160

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1444126710658.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	111161

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

It was pretty good on the weekend - nice clearly defined channel with no break even at low tide. It can be very nasty though in the wrong conditions though. That spot usually holds trag over the winter months - some years are better than others. It can also hold good numbers of blue spot flathead. Simple bottom basher with circle hooks and mullet strips seems to be the go.