Thread: Outboard info

Outboard info

Hi, thinking of a 2nd hand Yammy 40 4 stroke for the tinny. 1600 hours on a 2010 model. Is this too many?

Re: Outboard info

How long is a piece of string? I know of brand new motors imploding at 60hr with the dealer aboard whilst still prop testing. From all the commercial guys here, you are going to get 2,000+, maybe 3,000+ hours before any majors typically on a modern 4 stroke.

Thanks for the reply Smithy

Yeah, agree, it might go for another 1,600 or it might blow up tomorrow, it's also 10 years old, if it hasn't been properly flushed, corrosion will kill it too.

edit: bad math.......8years old!

Ausfish Silver Member

your probably keen to get out there, but im sure you could do better then 10yo and that many hours??? or are there not many out there? my rule of thumb and not for everyone i know, but i wont buy older then 5 years old, and as the boys say it all depends who owned it before you and how they looked after it. but yeah 10yo i wouldnt touch it.
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by up the creek View Post
    your probably keen to get out there, but im sure you could do better then 10yo and that many hours??? or are there not many out there? my rule of thumb and not for everyone i know, but i wont buy older then 5 years old, and as the boys say it all depends who owned it before you and how they looked after it. but yeah 10yo i wouldnt touch it.
    oops 8years old...
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..