Thread: setting up a down rigger for bay

setting up a down rigger for bay

hi mates
    just got myself a downrigger will be using in the bay the down rigger came with ss wire been reading some of the posts in the search thing, there seams to be a prob with the wire singing the current runs hard in the bay so how heavy would the bomb have be what are the best release clips, how would set for two lines off the same rigger . where is the best place to put the rigger in the rod h or fix it too the rail, or gunnal. any idears mates poogie

Re: setting up a down rigger for bay

What sort of rigger do you have?

I use a Cannon Easi Troll. I have this mounted on the gunnel like most I have seen. A mate has his on a rod holder bracket and it works fine but beware of the need for a very strong rod holder as there is a great deal of force involved.
    In a glass boat the wire is fine as it does not hum. In a tinny its probably worth running something like Cabelas Depth Trac braid. I use this now as I have 400ft of cable (not needed in the Bay )

I regularly run two lines from mine. The first is clipped off on a Cannon release clip attached to the bomb and then I release 5-10m of line and clip on a Cannon Offshore Stacker Release and clip on the second line.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boati..._SEQ_104304780

If using braid it can be more secure if you wrap an elastic band around the braid then into the clip as the braid can slip out quite easily and its a pain to reset the whole thing without a hit .

My bomb sits in a side pocket when not in use (still clipped on) but you may find a weight holder worth having.

It takes a few trips to sort out the best way to use it but when you do you will find its a great bit of kit

Cheers

Neil
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

use the heaviest bomb your dr can handle,it should be in the specs for it.also i like to mount them on the same side as your sounder transducer as its cool to see it on your sounder.

ps pancake bombs are the go im not sure if you will get them here as i get them from the states and i love cannon clips or make up a short trace with a snap clip on each end wack one in the bomb,put a rubber band half hitched around your line and put the band in the other clip and bobs your aunty.

cheers scotty

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    What sort of rigger do you have?

I use a Cannon Easi Troll. I have this mounted on the gunnel like most I have seen. A mate has his on a rod holder bracket and it works fine but beware of the need for a very strong rod holder as there is a great deal of force involved.
    In a glass boat the wire is fine as it does not hum. In a tinny its probably worth running something like Cabelas Depth Trac braid. I use this now as I have 400ft of cable (not needed in the Bay )

I regularly run two lines from mine. The first is clipped off on a Cannon release clip attached to the bomb and then I release 5-10m of line and clip on a Cannon Offshore Stacker Release and clip on the second line.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boati..._SEQ_104304780

If using braid it can be more secure if you wrap an elastic band around the braid then into the clip as the braid can slip out quite easily and its a pain to reset the whole thing without a hit .

My bomb sits in a side pocket when not in use (still clipped on) but you may find a weight holder worth having.

It takes a few trips to sort out the best way to use it but when you do you will find its a great bit of kit

Cheers

Neil
    hi mate got one from ebay aust black marlin the name is we will soon see how it stands up .mate got a tinnie so might have to go with the braid i like the stacking idea ifthe rigger stands up i will get another one if not other brand just want it for trolling slow around banks markes and while at anker around wrecks in the strong currents in the bay . regards poogie

Hi all,
    I would also be interested to know what weight ball everyone uses on there down riggers in side the bay as well as out side the bar and what speed they like to troll at.

Quote Originally Posted by ozassassin View Post
    Hi all,
    I would also be interested to know what weight ball everyone uses on there down riggers in side the bay as well as out side the bar and what speed they like to troll at.
    I only use an 8lb round ball and its fine for my use. I fish SLOW trolled livies and usually livies at anchor. I have used 10lb pancake weights and found them a little bit too much effort
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

g'day
    i also got 1 on ebay, came with a 2lb bomb (cant troll that butok anchored in current to 1kph)
    i tried to find a heavier bomb, local shops dont stock em and they about $50....cheaper from USA but postage is over $100...lmao

a cokecan (375ml) will hold 10lb of lead....remove the top (not the rim), stick a ss I bolt half way down and some loop out of the base....fill with lead (mine took about 7 ladels full, and the layers bondwell) and bobs yer aunty...leave the can on the lead...costs about 2 bucks plus lead and gas....guess im a tighta$$

a 330ml stubbieholds about 9lb and the glassbreaksaway if you quench it in water to cool......
    Cheers Chris

(please insert witty saying here)

like horse i also use an 8lb on a cannon easi troll and its great.i use the 10lb on a digi troll so it winds its self up .if some of these drs come with 2lb bombs you would really want to find out what they are rated to.There is a fair bit if load on these things when you add a bit of current and the length of your boom is acting like a lever and blah blah blah.

For what they do the heaviest and most streamline will be the best.But it needs to be managable by yourself and whatever dr its attached to.

cheers scotty