Thread: ZMAN vs GULP challenge - Results

ZMAN vs GULP challenge - Results

Went for a kayak early this morning at the usual spot, weather looked s*** but we had one of dicktraceys HTFU cans and went out.

Target species - Bream

I was introduced to the zman grubz by mossy, me and my mates seemed hesitant because of the tails on them thinking the bream would just smash the tails and not the hook.

I decided to back them and was determined to convert my mates to ''zmen'' by having a bet on whoever could catch the most bream on plastics becoming the victor.

First cast of the zman motor oil coloured grub saw me come tight on a nice size bream. 1 up for the zmans..... and the trash talking began.

Slowed down at about 8 with my mate throwing his anchor off the side without securing it and having to swim around trying to find it.

The final score was

Score
    Zman - 7
    Gulp - 3

Statistics -
    Zmans used - 1
    Gulps - *still being counted. estimated 3-4 packets*

I think its safe to say they are now Zmen!

Great day fishing, not many others around which was good.
    $50 richer, thats a 10 year supply of Zman's i think?

Colour used was motor oil, also have shimmer pearl and pumpkin seed, didnt get to use them, maybe in a years time?

Cheers,
    Jack

PS - no photos today, swell was a bit big, left the phone in the car, sure glad i did, got a bit wet haha!

Re: ZMAN vs GULP challenge - Results

Booo Yaaaaahhhhh! Told ya buddy those things are bloody ripppers on the breambo's I took a few off the pylons in the river.

Good stuff padawan, now clean your reels and gear I don't want to hear any noises coming from that reel.

Great to see the yak is getting a good flogging mate keep up the reports!

Fantastic Jack...you'll be converting more than just your yak mates with reports like that!

Nice one Yellowjack.

What pound leader and jighead size and weight and size of zman please?

After catching my first bream on a zman (through luck) the other week I think I will chase the bream when it gets colder.

Quote Originally Posted by chop View Post
    Nice one Yellowjack.

What pound leader and jighead size and weight and size of zman please?

After catching my first bream on a zman (through luck) the other week I think I will chase the bream when it gets colder.
    Gotta say Jack, I'm interested in hearing a bit more about this too...desperate to start getting bream as a target species on plastics instead of just as by-catch. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys,
    Was using the TT tournament jigheads 1/12 with a size 1 hook (my mates also use size 2 hooks (they think it increases hookup rate, but i use size 1)

Took a pic aswell -

6lb leader ( Sunline FC Rock, 6lb - 100m)

Just a bit of extra info.
    Last week was the christening of my new stradic fj 1000 and i put 6lb Berkley Nanofil on it. (instead of braid)
    This is my bream specific combo, the nanofil makes casting light jigheads / lures really easy and they go a mile when you cast.

If yous need any more info just ask (dont message me about my bream spot though lol)

Cheers,
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowjack View Post
    If yous need any more info just ask (dont message me about my bream spot though lol)

Cheers,
    Jack
    We don't need to ask about your spot...you put up that great picture a couple of weeks back with the palm trees in the background so we all know where it is now

Thanks for sharing the info about your gear Jack. Much appreciated...there are some zman grubs on the table beside me as we speak...shame I am too busy at work (including weekends and public holidays!!!) to get any fishing in at the moment

cheers yellowjack

Hey Jack

Gave the Zs a try on ANZAC Day on the flatties. It was a slow day and a short trip but they did significantly better than our usual favourite SP...with a few throw back sized ones and 2 huge bust offs compared to only a couple of throw backs for the squidgies

Looking forward to further scientific investigation of this in our mobile-floating-lab next weekend keep your eyes out for us we will be the ones fishing in lab coats.

Not the grubs, but the streakZ curly tail.

Only down side is that I don't think they hold as well on the gig head...might have to add a drop of glue. Did you find that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chas & Clarry View Post
    Only down side is that I don't think they hold as well on the gig head...might have to add a drop of glue. Did you find that ?
    that is SOP these days.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    that is SOP these days.
    ZMans beat Gulp again. You dont need glue, just forego the use of the hook flap in the bottom and run the hook through the middle instead of through head out bottom and back up and through. Z-Mans have this issue.