Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hydraulic or push/pull cable steering

Re: Hydraulic or push/pull cable steering

I recently went to hydraulic, the best thing I ever did.

We set up a Crosby with twin 100hp straight sixes for a customer back in the early 70's. He hit a log in the Hume weir and tore the ass out of it. It pulled skiers out of the water nicely though.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

McKight, misread your question? Your boat clearly has an antiquated rope/drum/pulley steering system. You definitely don't want to put that back into working order. Awful things.
    And although hydraulic steering can be nice, I feel it's overkill for your boat. A decent non feedback cable steering setup would be more than adequate, Teleflex is a good and easily obtained brand. See the link;

And all single prop sterndrives and outboards have prop torque (not just two strokes lol), and will naturally want to turn to the direction of prop rotation (typically to starboard). They still suffer from the torque effects despite the trim tab adjustment, but it can be reduced.
    Last edited by The Woo; 22-09-2014 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Clarity

^^^^ I agree with Woo, had the cable and pulley system on a 14footer and when I did a re-engine, put Teleflex push-pull in for the steering and was a definite improvement .... Then on my larger boat went from 90hp to 130hp and from Teleflex to Hydraulic steering, but I find the Hydraulic steering more responsive and lighter to use even with the larger/faster engine

The Woo, I did mean the 'push/pull' cables such as teleflex. Yeah I wasn't going to put the old style 'pull/pull' cable back in.

I had been told teleflex suffered from feedback and that it was heavy to stead.

I guess my real question was is the price difference between teleflex and hydraulic worth it?

A side mount would fit but I don't like them as they stick out and I'd be worried that somebody stepping on it. Bullhorn is the way to go.

Ben of Upstart

Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
    The Woo, I did mean the 'push/pull' cables such as teleflex. Yeah I wasn't going to put the old style 'pull/pull' cable back in.

I had been told teleflex suffered from feedback and that it was heavy to stead.

I guess my real question was is the price difference between teleflex and hydraulic worth it?
    if you're flush with funds and keeping the boat for a long time then sure, spend the substantial extra on the hydraulic. And go the bullhorn style, it's just neater.
    Speak to BLA and get a price for each directly from them is my suggestion. Baystar and Seastar hydraulic systems, and Teleflex gear is available from them.

To me NFB (cable or hydraulic) seems like a band aid trying to cover up an underlying problem, much like a hydrofoil on a badly set up boat or over trimming to compensate for an unbalanced boat.

I took a mate's boat for a run with hydraulic & didn't like it at all, it reminded me of a wandering sterndrive I used to have and it felt like I was continually having to work the wheel. Probably something I'd get used to I guess. I seem to remember a bit of initial resistance when turning the wheel which felt weird, is that typical of hydraulic?

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    I took a mate's boat for a run with hydraulic & didn't like it at all, it reminded me of a wandering sterndrive I used to have and it felt like I was continually having to work the wheel. Probably something I'd get used to I guess. I seem to remember a bit of initial resistance when turning the wheel which felt weird, is that typical of hydraulic?
    In short - no. Your mate may have had a bit of air left in his lines or some slop in a mechanical linkage. With the steering that is typically fitted to outboards, the helm units have integrated lock valves that stop the fluid being forced back into the helm unless the wheel is being turned. This is why there is no feedback as such with hydraulics.

Yes it could have been air scott I put it down to the lower ratio compared to cable but I didn't give it what you'd call a thorough workout.

I do intend to keep the boat for awhile with all the work I will be putting into it. How does Hydrive compare to Baystar and Seastar?

Thanks again for all the info, it is greatly appreciated.

Just fit a simple side mount, there is plenty of room, will be a dream to steer and quite cheap compared to the bullhorn type, and is easy to fit as well.

One thing we shuld all have been clearer on, McKnight, is that there are 2 varieties of the cable style steering from thelikes of Teleflex.

There is the standard one, that suffers most from torque steer, and a "no-feedback" version that, from all accounts, is quite a bit better. not as good a hydraulic, mind you, but a fair way better than the standard version. Uses the same cable, but has a different helm unit. Might be worth consideriing as its only a bit dearer than the normal cable steering.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Hydraulic or push/pull cable steering

Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
    I do intend to keep the boat for awhile with all the work I will be putting into it. How does Hydrive compare to Baystar and Seastar?

Thanks again for all the info, it is greatly appreciated.
    Gidday McKnight

The only difference I can see is Hydrive are Australian made, Baystar & Seastar are U.S made. It's really about choice and what fits your boat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    LITTLE SKIPPER!

When doing my research I settled on hydrive compared to seastar / baystar as seemed to be higher quality materials, I.e. Chromed Brass vs aluminium. It was a few hundy dearer but seemed to be the right choice.