Thread: To chip or not to chip a Ranger

To chip or not to chip a Ranger

A question to all those more knowledgeable than me!
    I have a 2014 twin cab auto Ranger and regularly tow a 25 ft caravan - all in all the towing is quite good(compared to my old Navara)
    My mechanic is quite negative about chips - says that manufacturers tune up their motors to the max and to add a chip is just asking for trouble. However many are full of praise to the advantages of chipping.
    So, what are the pros and cons and if overall the favour is in the positive - what are the good brands and approx costs?
    Cheers to all.

Re: To chip or not to chip a Ranger

I am not a fan of chips as I figure manufacturers tune to give longevity but some people just want to get the most out of the motor and that's fair enough but don't be suprised if a problem arises especially while it's still under manufacturers warranty . I am surprised the ranger needs more power as I thought they where pretty good to start with , maybe a ford ranger forum would give you a few more hints ...Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

I haven't experienced motor problems from chips so long as tuned to a safeish level. But expect gearbox problems.

Instead of putting a chip in it have you thought about remapping the computer in my opinion it is better

whats it going to do for you other than maybe make it pull harder on a hill? they already have heaps of power. push the pedal down a bit more. it can cause you heaps of issues tho. i trust the international vechile designer and manufacturer who is trying to make the best car they possibly can.

I believe other issues like burning out injectors prematurely if chip set too high.
    AB

I would fit an EGT gauge before i fitted the chip. This way you can see how much hotter the exhaust temps are after the chip is fitted. High exhaust temps are the biggest killer of diesel engines although modern diesel engines have there own reliability problems already just from being over complicated.

sent from the beerhunter

Having heard your views and having briefly checked other off road sources - it seems there are too many potential hassles to give a chip any serious thoughts - so I will pursue whats involved with remapping the computer as Hally suggested.
    Thanks to all, cheers

You could also try a bigger exhaust pipe. I put a 3 inch exhaust right through from turbo to tailpipe on my 2003 Patrol and that made a big difference in power and economy. Just a thought.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

2nd the 3'' exhaust.....I put one on my 200 and the difference is pretty impressive the turbo will spool quicker and deliver a better power band.
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan5 View Post
    2nd the 3'' exhaust.....I put one on my 200 and the difference is pretty impressive the turbo will spool quicker and deliver a better power band.
    Who did it for you Dan? Been half thinking about it, and they do sound awesome with the big pipe .
    Cheers
    Brendon

I am no motor man so I would never have even thought of a bigger exhaust - does it really improve performance? Don't want a throaty growl though!

An exhaust on its own on a px will nett you about 1 horsepower. The motor is already a powerhouse and is restricted by the Ecu from factory to make it driveable and reliable. Chips are a waste of money because they are designed for engines already having their necks wrung.
    An ecu reflash is easily the biggest power gain you'll get for $1100 odd -somewhere in the vicinity of a conservative 30% increase in torque by letting the ponies back out of the computer. Upgrade the cats and there are further gains to be had - the exhaust/dumps are good from factory but the exhaust mobs don't want you to know that.
    Beware there is a reason that they deem 475 nm to be enough. The gearbox and cooling system won't like it when towing - you already have plenty reliable power.
    You would be best served going to newranger.net or anothe px specific site to get the low down.
    As stated, easy h.p. Is a tempting but a short term view.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Quote Originally Posted by gofishin View Post
    Who did it for you Dan? Been half thinking about it, and they do sound awesome with the big pipe .
    Cheers
    Brendon
    It's a custom one done here in Darwin but using a Redback strait through muffler.............It's not rude with V8 noise but you can tell it is one atleast.
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

To all who replied - after considering various complications re chips, larger exhaust etc - I have decided to leave the ranger standard and do absolutely nothing! I am not one to look into every aspect of vehicles (fishing yes, vehicles no) so putting it in the too hard basket and leaving it standard. Cheers to all.