Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Went for a flick today

Re: Went for a flick today

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Hi Dignity, the atomic hooks come with whiskers, just remove the split ring with little hooks and then feed on Atomic assist hooks with split ring.
    Thanks buddy, I didn't realise that as often make my own assist hooks or purchase them. for jigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Thanks buddy, I didn't realise that as often make my own assist hooks or purchase them. for jigs.
    Ive just started making my own myself as well..

Nice to know I'm not the only fumbler. He tries to keep his hooks even whereas I prefer to stagger them.

Well, my brother was up for the weekend and wanted to go out today, normally I wouldn'tgo on a weekendand certainly not on the current moon phase, but family counts.

Arranged for a 6am start but it was raining so we thought we'd wait an hour or so so I went back to bed. Seems I went into a deep sleep as I get a msg at 8:15 that it looked good to go.
    Launched and headed for where I thought the flatties might be but realised the run out was nearly over and we would struggle although we gave it a good try. Tide started to come in so moved to where I knew they should be, but again not a touch. No bait movement, nothing, evrn the birds were missing. Kept looking for them and at where they should have been thick I managed a 45cm model, being at my minimum take we kept it.
    My brother soon followed with a nice 54cm model which pleased him no end as he hadn't been out for 4 months or so.

20220806_113336.jpg

We tried the same area for while but nada. We decided to move to spot we haven't fished for at least a year and weren't making any progress till I managed to get another nice 56cm model. A short time after my brother gets another 54cm model. There is a lot of water and time between bites, even the bream were absent.

We kept going and as the battery for the MK was dying (it was bought in 2015 and has had a hard life) I suggested a spot that often only produces a small number of fish at best of times but usually quality so we motored up there, at this stage something goes wrong with his reel so he proceeds to pull it apart, he has another rod or he could have used mine but he is even more stubborn than I am. So I proceed to cast using the last of the battery power on the MK and hook a mice 64 -65cm model. A quick snap and as it was at my upper limit it back for a swim.

20220806_150633.jpg

At hhis stage no power left for the MK so we headed home.

There was enough for both of us and the rest went to neighbours, the best part was very few boats, no jet skis - on a saturday and the sea eagles which spent most of their time hunting over land, almost like a mid week day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    apparently only 5% of Females but 75% of males are sexually mature at that size. I’d like to see them adopt the 40cm MLS that QLD has so that the females get more of a chance to spawn before being caught. I like the upper slot limit which will do wonders for the fishery but a bit of help at the bottom end could go a long way too.
    All flatties start out at males and transisf to females..

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I think this line of thought has changed in recent times,I could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    I think this line of thought has changed in recent times,I could be wrong though.
    It was an urban myth probably brought about by size differences between the sexes but well and truly proven incorrect.

Not from what I have read .......

They are born male & female .... males reach sexual maturity in he low 30cm length while females where up above 50cm (from memory) ...... but it did depend on location

Females reach the larger sizes though ...... anything above 70cm is more than likely a female

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

There’s absolutely zero evidence of this other than bullshit around the camp fire and people assuming that all the big ones are female that they must make a transition like Barra does. The females simply grow faster and much larger than the males.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...light=Flathead

also read the link I posted earlier to the east coast dusky study I posted earlier in the thread. Same evidence.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

We went for a flick today till 11 am, wind was supposed to be up but it was calm all morning apart from occasional breeze, we ended up with 20 with my wife taking 12 on white bait rigged on 3 hooks tailor style, it is amazing, i am flicking plastics and blades to the edges and bouncing back to the boat while my wife is just drifting with the white bait lifting it 40 cm or so every 10 seconds and she flogged me, happens every now and then, this style of fishing is great for people who want to fish but are not competent to continually cast lures, very affective..
    And i get my tagging gear in the next week and looking forward to seeing recaptures in the future..

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    We went for a flick today till 11 am, wind was supposed to be up but it was calm all morning apart from occasional breeze, we ended up with 20 with my wife taking 12 on white bait rigged on 3 hooks tailor style, it is amazing, i am flicking plastics and blades to the edges and bouncing back to the boat while my wife is just drifting with the white bait lifting it 40 cm or so every 10 seconds and she flogged me, happens every now and then, this style of fishing is great for people who want to fish but are not competent to continually cast lures, very affective..
    And i get my tagging gear in the next week and looking forward to seeing recaptures in the future..
    Would have possibly gone out today but we don't have Bells Creek ramp available any more as it so badly silted up after the new bar opening and the other ramps are full on a day like today. Still, I found that pin hole that was letting water into the hull so that is a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Would have possibly gone out today but we don't have Bells Creek ramp available any more as it so badly silted up.
    Didn’t know that Sam. Is that on all tides ?

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    Didn’t know that Sam. Is that on all tides ?
    Peter, it's pretty bad, the odd tinnie will launch there but at half tide there is literally no water, if you've got a very small tinnie you have to walk it in to the ramp for the last 20m. There is still a channel there but very narrow and getting shallower. The whole northern end of the passage has changed. The coast guard tows there boat down to the PBC if they're needed south of the new bar as they cant get through.

I had a go in the pine today, usually not a fan but its close being only 15 minutes to Pelican park from home, only caught the one, 65cm on a little vibe that i jazzed up with assist hooks, lost 2 vibes today including my 21$ eco gear zx40, was not happy abnd will have to make up a lure retriever .
    20220809_072609.jpg

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/business-...dusky-flathead

Recent research has found that, unlike barramundi and yellowfin bream, dusky flathead do not change from males to females (protandrous hermaphroditism) as they grow (Pollock 2015).