Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lithium batteries & insurance

Re: Lithium batteries & insurance

LifePo4 is definitely the safest mass produced battery but there is still a thermal runaway risk if there’s a short or a serious overcharge for a long period of time.

If safety is the ultimate goal then Lithium Titanate Oxide (LTO) cells are the supposed to be the safest with zero thermal runaway and cold temperature charging. they’re also excellent at fast charging and discharging. The only problem with LTO is the price and the density is much lower than LifePo4. If they can find a way to match LifePo4 in density and cost to produce then I think LTO would get regulated and the others would nearly be regulated out of existence. Enough Tesla fires already.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    LifePo4 is definitely the safest mass produced battery but there is still a thermal runaway risk if there’s a short or a serious overcharge for a long period of time.

If safety is the ultimate goal then Lithium Titanate Oxide (LTO) cells are the supposed to be the safest with zero thermal runaway and cold temperature charging. they’re also excellent at fast charging and discharging. The only problem with LTO is the price and the density is much lower than LifePo4. If they can find a way to match LifePo4 in density and cost to produce then I think LTO would get regulated and the others would nearly be regulated out of existence. Enough Tesla fires already.
    Probably makes sense to not leave the battery connected to a running charger .

Charges & BMS can malfunction .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Probably makes sense to not leave the battery connected to a running charger .
    Chris
    Why would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    Why would that be?
    If the battery charger of BMS fails .

I have had a CTEK fail & fry an AGM previously - kept pumping in full 25amps ...... so it can happen

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    If the battery charger of BMS fails .

I have had a CTEK fail & fry an AGM previously - kept pumping in full 25amps ...... so it can happen

Chris
    Now just imagine your outboard regulator shits itself 10 minutes into a 1 hour trip and is pumping in (Insert ridiculous voltage here) instead of 14.4. -15v. Much higher chance of that happening bouncing around on the ocean over 500 hours than a CTEK going berserk at home on the chargers..
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

C-Tek chargers are popular but not fail proof....have replaced two that have either fried batteries or themselves.
    I won't buy C-Tek again.

I currently have faith in the Victron charge systems.....when I swap to lithium it will be with Victron again.

Professionally installed does not mean much.....any auto electrician could install.....whether he uses good components hooked up the safest way is yet to be proven.
    Is there a specific course auto elecs would have to do to get accredited for LiFePO4 systems?
    I assume not seeing none of them allude to specific accreditation.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    C-Tek chargers are popular but not fail proof....have replaced two that have either fried batteries or themselves.
    I won't buy C-Tek again.

I currently have faith in the Victron charge systems.....when I swap to lithium it will be with Victron again.

Professionally installed does not mean much.....any auto electrician could install.....whether he uses good components hooked up the safest way is yet to be proven.
    Is there a specific course auto elecs would have to do to get accredited for LiFePO4 systems?
    I assume not seeing none of them allude to specific accreditation.
    I think the CTEK chargers were good in their day ( early smart chargers) but they do fail - like mine did & I know of a couple of others that have failed as well .

I went to the Victron chargers (2 x 12/25 bluesmart) a few years back ...... been great & these are permanently wired in .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO