Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lithium Starter battery??

Re: Lithium Starter battery??

http://greenenergylimited.com
    Not being able to connect in parallel is a downer on these unfortunately.

The Winstons that Snapper posted about seem to be the only Lithiums that suit a dual battery set up for starting/house.
    Snapper are you only running 1 Winston for the outboard?

TMC

Following with interest as so far with the deep cycle LiFePo4 batteries, every supplier (so far) does not recommend charging them from the motor but using a 240V charger at home. Near as I can figure they don't like the intermittent variable charge they get from an outboard due to short runs, lots of idling etc. I'd love to own one but as I also use an anchor winch which draws a lot of power I would need the capability of recharging from the motor supply.

I think we need a few more players in this area, it's a bit like the lead crystal batteries, only one importer into Australia now as they didn't live up to their hype, (although I know people who have them and love them).

Quote Originally Posted by Darren J View Post
    They say lifepo4 which is lithium iron phosphate I believe. Not the high risk type I don’t think. Someone more knowledgeable might chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lithium Ion batteries are the ones of concern ….. LIFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) are what is being spoken of for boats- which are pretty stable

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Maybe because the lithium technology is still relatively new and advancing i mean lithium batteries have been around 20 years but they only seem to be advancing for the hobby scene they have crazy recharge C ratings which i think may be the downfall of marine lithium batteries if u could only recharge at 1c and u didnt drive much and used a lot of accessories you'll be charging batteries like a mad man

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Yes am only running a single 60Ah Winston battery for both engine and electronics. Used to carry the standard two batteries (one for house and one for starting) but have been using just the one for over 5 years, carry a set of jumper leads as backup but have never used them.
    Re charging, this battery is just charged like normal from the outboard alternator.

For the Motor Guide xi5 24V setup, have installed a Sterling Pro inline charger (12v to 24V) that recharges the dual battery setup from the outboard, never had to use any other system to recharge these batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by cpt snapper View Post
    Yes am only running a single 60Ah Winston battery for both engine and electronics. Used to carry the standard two batteries (one for house and one for starting) but have been using just the one for over 5 years, carry a set of jumper leads as backup but have never used them.
    Re charging, this battery is just charged like normal from the outboard alternator.

For the Motor Guide xi5 24V setup, have installed a Sterling Pro inline charger (12v to 24V) that recharges the dual battery setup from the outboard, never had to use any other system to recharge these batteries.
    It would be interesting to find out the life of the battery using only the motor as a charger as things change rather quickly in the technological world and there are Dc to DC chargers specifically for the LiFePo4 batteries. Until recently charging 2 LiFePo4 batteries in line was a no no. Anyone ever pull a Lithium battery apart, a nice piece of circuitry sits on top of the cells that manages everything and this is probably getting more complex by the day. A really big no no for Lithiums is when the circuits stops the operation is to try again for a few more starts or uses, this really reduces the no of cycles dramatically and can kill the battery quickly.

Bought a deep cycle off this mob which works well. I see they now offer a lithium cranking battery for cars and boats. Only 8kg with 1500CCA. https://itechworld.com.au/collection...h1420-cranking

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    Bought a deep cycle off this mob which works well. I see they now offer a lithium cranking battery for cars and boats. Only 8kg with 1500CCA. https://itechworld.com.au/collection...h1420-cranking
    My alarm bells are ringing loud …… They are saying that this is a Lithium Ion battery (not Lithium Ion Phosphate aka LiFePO4)

It's lithium Ion batteries that have the greatest capacity - hence why they could come up with a cranker ……. but these are the least stable & well known to have explosive combustion .

One to keep an eye on

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Have a look at Lithium Titanate. Import the cells and build your own battery. A 65ah LTO battery can pull 3581CCA and has zero chance of thermal run away. I plan on using them as cranking batteries on my next big boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

That looks like good technology u would need to run 4 possibly 5 in series and 2 packs parallel quiet expensive at $2000 to $2500 a battery for 90ah 16kg to 18kg pack

https://www.batteryspace.com/LTO-186...-3.12Wh-2.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    That looks like good technology u would need to run 4 possibly 5 in series and 2 packs parallel quiet expensive at $2000 to $2500 a battery for 90ah 16kg to 18kg pack

https://www.batteryspace.com/LTO-186...-3.12Wh-2.aspx
    not at all. The LTO’s crank so hard that even a 20ah will start a big Yanmar Diesel. Read the below thread from post 88 on.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...my-boat-5.html

Lovey i recall reading each cell is only 3 volts u would need at lease 4 cells in series to be able to start a engine at 12v maybe i read it wrong usually the volts stated are half charged voltage

Lovey i recall reading each cell is only 3 volts u would need at lease 4 cells in series to be able to start a engine at 12v maybe i read it wrong usually the volts stated are half charged voltage

they run them in a series of 6. Or 6x2, 6x4 etc for more Ah. If it can start a big yanmar quicker than a huge lead acid battery I’ll take that any time. I think a 6x4 would be overkill but maybe necessary on that day you have another issue and more cranking is required.

Not any different really, your lead acid batteries are 2 Volt, just that 6 are combined to give you 12 Volts. In my younger day we used to grab dead batteries as at least one cell was still at 2 Volts which was needed to start the glow plugs on our model airplanes.

Check this out lol just came up on my youtube feed, guy replaces motor cycle battery with capacitors, done a bit of looking around guys are starting cars with capacitors too lol