Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Poachers

Re: Poachers

Quote Originally Posted by baitable View Post
    If you can’t grasp the basic concept of any lateral thought then why would I try take things any further? I would have better luck with arguing with a stone
    Don't make me laugh. You don't know very much about fisheries. All you did was string together a bunch of false choices/ assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Orange Roughy have recovered enough to allow limited commercial fishing. Their slow growth and habit of schooling in mid water made the vulnerable to overfishing.

Theres a good reason why they school in mid water at around 3000ft I think and that's because they have come up from the depths to spawn other wise they live to deep to catch.
    & yet they were nearly wiped out
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    Well if you have read them do you have any actual insights or is sarcasm just the extent of it? You bemoaned the so called lack of science in these post then you turn around and mock it!
    with regard to sarcasm...... I wouldn't go pointing the finger with a dirty hand.

Scientific research does provide good evidence.. but not always. Certain things take time, in many cases a very long time.
    Environmental studies cannot always draw conclusions in the short term, it can take decades in a lot of cases.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Quote Originally Posted by roz View Post
    with regard to sarcasm...... I wouldn't go pointing the finger with a dirty hand.

Scientific research does provide good evidence.. but not always. Certain things take time, in many cases a very long time.
    Environmental studies cannot always draw conclusions in the short term, it can take decades in a lot of cases.
    What are you trying to say? Green zones verses fished zones have in fact been studied extensively on the GBR and for sufficient time (5+ years).

Nah you’re right bill fisher, I just worked at Bribie island aquaculture centre for a few years doing my thesis, what do I know about fisheries? You’re clearly trying to stir now because you have not provided one credible argument nor research paper to back yourself up. Just for your reference it needs to have an et al. To be credible.

Nah you’re right bill fisher, I just worked at Bribie island aquaculture centre for a few years doing my thesis, what do I know about fisheries? You’re clearly trying to stir now because you have not provided one credible argument nor research paper to back yourself up. Just for your reference it needs to have an et al. To be credible.
    Well I have provided several references, including research papers (or articles with links to them) and credible arguments. You just ignored them like you are doing now.

I have thrown some very basic concepts for you to answer all of which lead to my next reasoning. You failed at the starting line mate, I cannot help you any further nor do I choose to rebut any of your points because you are not capable of understanding. When you can lift your reasoning above that of a three year old, or have been in the field of scientific research for greater than my time and have a thesis then we might communicate on the same level and perhaps even have an informative argument. For now continue on your path, google your information pick and choose the context to present without fully understanding and ignore any stress testing to your assumptions - you are right mate and everyone else is wrong

I have thrown some very basic concepts for you to answer all of which lead to my next reasoning. You failed at the starting line mate, I cannot help you any further nor do I choose to rebut any of your points because you are not capable of understanding. When you can lift your reasoning above that of a three year old, or have been in the field of scientific research for greater than my time and have a thesis then we might communicate on the same level and perhaps even have an informative argument. For now continue on your path, google your information pick and choose the context to present without fully understanding and ignore any stress testing to your assumptions - you are right mate and everyone else is wrong
    You haven't even tried any 'stress testing' of my assumptions. You even said you we not interesting in doing so in your third sentence. And recall that's what I did to you and I never got an answer - just more of the above. Ie denialism, insults and projections.
    Also you have no idea what my scientific credentials are.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Well the green zone on the wild banks out from Bribie island doesn't do anything for the area, it was barren before it was made a green zone and its barren many years after so there's one green zone that never has and never will be a benefit to the area in fish replenishment, theres good and bad in these green zones as well as in the management of them too.
    Could you expand on what you mean by barren please. I lot of people think an area oft sea bed that's just sand is barren, I was of the same opinion (not saying you may be suggesting that...with respect) one of the most horrible things I've seen is what comes up in the cod end of a prawn trawler, for every wild prawn there is a very large number of marine creatures that are killed and thrown back, trawler owners like to refer to it as Bi Catch.
    I was this was off the Gold Coast, so just because there is no reef or structure does not make it barren. Again, you have to see it to believe it...
    Cheers Roz
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Billfisher. I have worked in science (lab work/chemistry/ physical and chemical testing mainly, but not marine biology) for many years, studies and stats can often crumble. One can quote stats and provide links to studies BUT it pays to keep an open mind, disregarding other peoples long term observations, not really a smart idea. Again, keep an open mind.

Running down other people's opinions using degrading remarks....AGAIN... DON'T POINT THE FINGER WITH A DIRTY HAND b.f.

Cheers r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Could you expand on what you mean by barren please. I lot of people think an area oft sea bed that's just sand is barren, I was of the same opinion (not saying you may be suggesting that...with respect) one of the most horrible things I've seen is what comes up in the cod end of a prawn trawler, for every wild prawn there is a very large number of marine creatures that are killed and thrown back, trawler owners like to refer to it as Bi Catch.
    I was this was off the Gold Coast, so just because there is no reef or structure does not make it barren. Again, you have to see it to believe it...
    Cheers Roz
    I think most people’s objections to these types of areas being zone green is that there could be limited fishing in these zones that don’t impact the habitat. For example, trolling live baits or billfish lures through that area would have zero degradation on the sea bottom. Yet the whole thing is locked up.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I think most people’s objections to these types of areas being zone green is that there could be limited fishing in these zones that don’t impact the habitat. For example, trolling live baits or billfish lures through that area would have zero degradation on the sea bottom. Yet the whole thing is locked up.
    I see your point
    My view is (having been there done that) is pelagic species often chase and feed on schools of what we refer to as bait fish. I've seen this over structure as well as flat sandy sea bed, so I like to keep an open mind with respect to protection/green zones. Until all the facts are in I will always go in to bat for green zones... as already stated. We can't predict the future, who wants to find out the hard way.
    Cheers R.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

I’m not suggesting those areas don’t need a zone necessarily. Making it so that anchoring, trawling the bottom etc is still banned may still be reasonable. But casting some slugs at a boil is hardly going to impact the habitat.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Billfisher. I have worked in science (lab work/chemistry/ physical and chemical testing mainly, but not marine biology) for many years, studies and stats can often crumble. One can quote stats and provide links to studies BUT it pays to keep an open mind, disregarding other peoples long term observations, not really a smart idea. Again, keep an open mind.

Running down other people's opinions using degrading remarks....AGAIN... DON'T POINT THE FINGER WITH A DIRTY HAND b.f.

Cheers r.
    Caps lock is shouting on the internet. And I have no idea what you mean by 'running down other people's opinions using degrading remarks'. I have used reason and evidence based arguments. My so called critics here have studiously ignored them. If you claim a science background then why not demonstrate why the 'studies and stats can often crumble'. PS: I didn't see any evidence that the obsevations offered here are 'long term' or are credible.

Cheers Roz
    Yer Roz there's nothing on the banks really no sea grass no shell even before the zoning nothing was caught on it, i would have thought it would have been a good whiting patch but everyone I've talked to about the banks have said the same thing ive never caught or seen a thing on it, there is a lot of current running over the banks there, they don't call it the wild banks for nothing.
    I. think there reasoning for the green zone was for pelagic fish , but there only use the edge of the banks to heard bait up for a feed.