Page 18 of 79 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

I have made a few trailers and once it all goes outside I get the old stick welder out, only problem is home handyman welders like me need to be diligent at getting slag off, and even grinding bits here and there.

I'll go over the tig welds with the stick welder but i am far from good with the stick

Steel that thick will be easy to stick weld, grind some of the existing weld down, use good current, decent rods and it will be a breeze.

Yeah i'll do something about it I'm not the best at mig or stick welding although i do have a Unimig Razor 200 Mig and a Unimig Razor 180 Arc/Tig welder just i suck at both that is why i tig welded it as i am more comfortable welding steel by tig i just can't weld out of position which i tried

i will fix up this side that i just made than i'll make the other side and weld the axles and assemble her

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Yeah i'll do something about it I'm not the best at mig or stick welding although i do have a Unimig Razor 200 Mig and a Unimig Razor 180 Arc/Tig welder just i suck at both that is why i tig welded it as i am more comfortable welding steel by tig i just can't weld out of position which i tried

i will fix up this side that i just made than i'll make the other side and weld the axles and assemble her
    Use the mig it is so easy, fairly simple to master for basic stuff even the stick is easier than the tig.

Mig welds came out ok today 'd still prefer to tig it tho almost out of argon, the hot days are gone and some projects finished so on with the rest... today i welded the second spring hanger together and i just notched out one for fitment around the cross member it worked pretty good about to do the other side than i need to paint it

should i go white or black 2k paint?

Getting a little closer just need to weld the small 30x30mm blocks onto the axles and paint it all and it can go on the trailer

I'm not a professional welder guys and not pretending to be so the welds may look like shit to you

I drilled two holes in each piece than cut out the slot the cross member goes in this slot

The main steel is 10mm thick way over kill but it was cheap next to free, the spring hangers are 8mm steel

Any progress?

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Not yet strath in around 6 weeks i should have the money to finish her off i am hopping the galvanising will be under $350 but heres hopping

I need both spring hangers (weigh about 30kg each), drawbar, couple sandwich plates and one small front cross member galvanised

I also realised i made a big f up in my design i should have U bolted my cross members so on the rear i may add another 76mm shs tubing with a U bolt and one up the front just for safety

Good luck with it. Looking forward to seeing some photos.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Those mig welds in my last picture are crap i am going to grind them down and tig the mig welds before galvanizing just not happy with them

if i haveany money left over in six weeks im looking at getting some American trailer bunk supports https://www.ebay.com/itm/Qty-8-6-Ver...0AAOSwyjBW7-e7

I reckon you should mate. It's not hard with MIG to get something that looks OK but has insufficient penetration. I would stick that but if you have a TIG with plenty of grunt why not. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Oz i only have 180amps to play with i need 200amps but the ac tig is to big to carry around i am shy by 20amps but if i sit and sink the heat in she welds the 10mm steel really nice, with the tig i know i have good penetration and the welds look really decent

The mig welds are just sitting on the surface not happy at all

The reason i can tig its 1 dial to set, the mig u have wire feed speed, voltage, wire tension i get all incosistency each time i move the torch so i suck at mig

Good stuff Gazza. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Those mig welds in my last picture are crap i am going to grind them down and tig the mig welds before galvanizing just not happy with them

if i haveany money left over in six weeks im looking at getting some American trailer bunk supports https://www.ebay.com/itm/Qty-8-6-Ver...0AAOSwyjBW7-e7
    Ok rule 1 is you do not weld across a chassis drawbar or spring hanger as it will crack due to the stresses involved over bumps etc rule 2 the weld is only needed to be as big as the smallest material being joined rule 3 is make sure your brakes and safety chains are rated to the correct Australian standards the list goes on that is why trailers are so expensive to build but I love my kids and family and at times I find it hard to believe any joe blow can go and build something that can be towed at 110 km down the highway with out any qualifications or hands on knowledge
    It’s a bit like the other post at the moment I could build myself a new boat but there are people out there who do it for a living and have the knowledge and experience to make sure my family friends and myself enjoy ourselves and come home safely
    Good luck but I think the certification on home made trailers needs to be changed because most times it’s just some office girl or bloke with a tape and instructions on a piece of paper on how to measure it to approve it to be legal

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app