Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Minn Kota instead of anchor?

Minn Kota instead of anchor?

Anyone use a Minn Kota with spot lock instead of anchor while fishing in open ocean? Expensive I know, but anchoring in 50-60m is a pain as is repositioning and drifting

Re: Minn Kota instead of anchor?

Couldn’t tell you the last time I used my anchor!
    Anchoring takes longer, isn’t as precise and damages the coral bottom! I also tend to fish solo or with my children who aren’t capable of deploying or retrieving the anchor!

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

For the best part of 2 years I've ditched the anchor & gone with spot lock . I've only had 1 day where conditions wouldn't allow for spotlocking.
    Aside from the ease - what I really like is have the ability to adjust your position to be precisely where you need to be & depth isn't an issue .

A couple of points - 60 or 72" shaft to stop the prop from blowing out on a swell
    Use larger deep cycle batteries (120amp + ) or better still if you can afford it - LiFePO4 ( Lithium) much more usable battery capacity (90% Depth Of Discharge - DOD) & nearly half the weight .

Spot locking has been a real revelation for offshore fishing.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

What size boats have you got these on fellas?

Ausfish Platinum Member

You'll see them fitted to boats up to ( and even over) 7m . Of course, bigger the boat, bigger the thrust needed--( rating is in Thrust) , and the bigger the battery bank needed--and it will need it's own bank. If it's a forward cab boat, you'll need auto deploy, which adds to the cost, and reduces the reliability--most complaints seem to be around failure of auto deploy. Not an issue if you are running a CC, and can easily access it, you can manually deploy.
    The jiggers absolutely love them, and its'easy to see why--being able to hold a spot for even a couple of minutes when you are dropping on a fish marking has to be gold. These things are not cheap if your boat is of a decent size--by the time you have fitted it all, including batteries, had a mount fitted, which can require some work depending on the configuration of your bow area, you can be looking at up to $5000 for an instal. Do it all yourself, and it will still be at least $3K. And you need a GPS/plotterwhich is compatible, not all configs will work together, apparently.

I can see how they would be handy in a few ways.

I had a brief look at the motorguide ones that are about $2200.
    I thought the gps was in the motor.

I am going a motorguide on my new build. Will be a manual deploy, caddy cab boat. Motorguide speaks to lowrance gps apparently. Still trying to work out size but will most likely be 36v, 112lb unit and 72” leg. Adds a lot of weight and cost but they are awesome offshore.

Quote Originally Posted by ben475 View Post
    80lb on a 615 Barcrusher CC - 60' Shaft

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I can see how they would be handy in a few ways.

I had a brief look at the motorguide ones that are about $2200.
    I thought the gps was in the motor.
    If the motor has spot lock capabilities - They have their own GPS - but some models will interface with chart plotters / sounders .

I haven't bothered with it because I can mark the sounder & use that location

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

20 Foot Cairns Custom Trihull (plate)
    Minn Kota 36v 112lb thrust with 72in shaft. Fitted on a custom fitted height adjustable bed.
    3 x 120amp FullRiver batteries solely for the minn Kota and 2 seperate 120 amp start/house batteries.
    Fished for 20 hrs using the MK and still had plenty of power when I called it a day!

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app

Hi Sharkbait,
    Any chance of some photos of you're set up with the height adjustable part.

TMC

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Cat View Post
    Hi Sharkbait,
    Any chance of some photos of you're set up with the height adjustable part.

TMC
    Currently have the Minn Kota on my Bluefin, as I’m replacing floor etc in my big boat. Found and old photo (Jan 2015) of the boat with the MK in place. I believe this was the last time the Kulara was anchored!
    The MK bolts onto the cradle, which then slides up and down locking into place as required. The MK has to be deployed before the cradle is lowered. Gives me approximately 50cm extra depth when required, but most times I just leave it in the higher position.

I can remove the MK and cradle while on the water, but I don’t need to if I’m wanting to anchor at any point in time.

Being a cabbed vessel, makes it a pain to deploy/retrieve the MK, so I found I can Motor around using the Yamaha up to 10-12 knots with no trouble while the MK is deployed. Saves me the effort when I need to move a couple of km to my next spot.

IMG_1828.JPG
    The MK bed which the cradle slides up and down.

IMG_3929.jpg
    On High Is (near Cairns) looking back towards the mainland

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app

Have a 80lb minn Kota 72" on Surtees 650. 2 X 120Amp batteries. Works great. Spot lock fantastic. Rarely anchor, only on overnight trips. Easy to move around using remote and quick to pull up and move then deploy when on spot I want to be. Haven't flattened batteries yet and estimate they would cover over 12 hours easily. Wouldn't be without it.

Have the auto deploy model. Did cost a bit and had some issues early on which BLA fixed after some time and drama. Now it's working properly we just love it.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtom View Post
    Have a 80lb minn Kota 72" on Surtees 650. 2 X 120Amp batteries. Works great. Spot lock fantastic. Rarely anchor, only on overnight trips. Easy to move around using remote and quick to pull up and move then deploy when on spot I want to be. Haven't flattened batteries yet and estimate they would cover over 12 hours easily. Wouldn't be without it.

Have the auto deploy model. Did cost a bit and had some issues early on which BLA fixed after some time and drama. Now it's working properly we just love it.

Any idea what your boat weighs? Even weight on trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by jclay1773 View Post
    Any idea what your boat weighs? Even weight on trailer.
    Boat weighs in around 1600 full of fuel and part loaded but not including people. With 2-3 guys and water and extra gear I estimate boat comes in about 1800-1900kg. That's not including trailer.

BMT around 2200kg full of fuel. Trailer is 600kg.

I was a bit sceptical at first but it works well. Can drive it with MK against tide in fast flowing channel mid tide and it does it. Haven't been in a situation yet where it can't spot lock and hold within about 5 metres of mark but I haven't used it over about 20/25km winds yet.

Hope that helps. Bear in mind the MK and batteries add weight too. I think overall the setup adds about 120-130kg or thereabouts. My trailer is electric over hydraulic as it was tipping over the 2T. The overall BMT weight can be an issue if trying to keep under 2T