Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

Re: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

Conditions much better for glassing this time home. I certainly got stuck into it with the engine beds now completed and also well into other glass works at the stern for supports and brackets. Pulled much of the timber framing out at the stern and sanded and glassed all the supports back in with a couple more to install. Cleaned and sanded the fuel tank compartment and sealed with vinylester resin and now ready for couple of coats of flowcoat. Tomorrow the engine compartment will get its first flowcoat.

The engine compartment was a fair bit of work due to the amount of glass that had to be removed from delimation. Ended up 3 layers of 450 cloth and some places 6 all with polyester and the last layer I used 450 CSM with vinylester resin for a better seal.

With the installation of the new engine there are a couple of extra pieces of equipment to install down the back such as the fuel filtration, engine blower and sea water strainer. I am also adding a couple of extra items so had too really think out the mounting locations with limited space and also make it clear for maintenance.

I also pulled up the stick down vinyl covering over the deck. The deck will get a sand and a coat of resin and then paint. I still need to cut in the inspection covers so I have access to all the under deck compartments which will be recessed in with the deck carpet over the top so you won't know they are even there. I won't be gluing the carpet down instead it will be clipped. The plan is to be able to roll the carpet up and open the inspection covers to let the hull breath when its stored away.

A couple of photos

DSC01489.jpgDSC01494.jpgDSC01497.jpg

Looks so crisp and simple at this stage and given the journey to get to this point congrats are in order.
    Pity you can't take a mold off it for the next person wanting to do a similar thing.

Well done, looks great.

Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Thanks Chimo.

Just something I would like to share with people as it could be a trap for me or someone else.

I have build the beds to accommodate the new engine from a CAD drawing supplied by the crew at Steyr and really helped getting the design right. Now the drawing is to accommodate the bravo drive and these are to suit a 13 - 15 deg stern. When I was using the Steyr engine jig my beds needed to be on a angle to get the correct alignment. This was a little left wing so I checked what the stern on this boat was and it worked out to be 17 deg. This is more to suit a outboard installation and the old merc engine mounts seem to be pretty well level with the keel so seems a little strange. I didn't remove the engine and not sure if there may have been some tapered shims under the engine mounts and left it at that.

The other day I was sitting in the boat looking at the transom shield and something just didn't look right with the distance from the rear engine mount and the stern. The cruisemaster has this shaped stern which added some style to the ass and also serves as a little deck to get in and out. The boat I have has a bolt on extension which gives you a great place to fish or sit in a chair and watch the world go bye. The problem I may have is that the riser on the Steyr is rather high which is a good thing but due to the 17 deg stern the engine is now back further and I could very well need to remove the swim platform again and get the saw back out for some modifications.

I do have the engine sitting in the shed now and the next problem is the CAD drawing doesn't show the heat blanket over the turbo which also adds height to the overall engine. I may still make it and decided to continue and when I dry fit the engine all will be exposed then. I have decided to not continue with completing the rest of the installation of the swim platform just in case it needs to be removed.

I can tell you I have measured and measured for this installation many many times and gave the 2 deg difference little thought. Time will tell and when I install the gimbal and stern brackets again I will be doing some very accurate measurements.

Boy ooh boy, life was not meant to be simple.

Will be interesting to see if the Qld adage of "don't worry about that" works in this scenario?

Maybe the Steyr crew would also be worthwhile including in the dry fit for every ones benefit.
    It would have to make selling their motors easier if the fit up is do able without heart attacks and they can ID the points to watch for to future customers!

I guess that is just my marketing brain working, what would I know..............

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Boy ooh boy, life was not meant to be simple.

Will be interesting to see if the Qld adage of "don't worry about that" works in this scenario?

Maybe the Steyr crew would also be worthwhile including in the dry fit for every ones benefit.
    It would have to make selling their motors easier if the fit up is do able without heart attacks and they can ID the points to watch for to future customers!

I guess that is just my marketing brain working, what would I know..............
    Chimo this is something I missed and not Steyr as they haven't even seen the boat.

The issue is more with the design of the stern area as most boats are pretty much straight at the stern. The photo shows where I may have trouble and if I need to modify that's life and I should have picked it up ages ago. Had the stern angle been as the mercury specifications I would have been just forward of the bugger. I may still make it !!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Got ya.

Press on

We all await with much interest.

Couldnt you just shim the front of the engine?

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    Couldnt you just shim the front of the engine?
    The rear engine mounts are fixed with only the front mounts being adjustable to get the correct alignment. This is all governed by the drive shaft and the engine beds are alined to allow for the transom angle. The only time you would need to shim the front engine mounts would be when you are unable to get enough adjustment or in some cases tapered shims if the angle is way out.

Got two coats on both the engine and fuel tank sections today and will let them harden up over night. I may throw another coat in the engine bay but will wait to see how it looks tomorrow. Back to work in a couple of days so a bit of boat clean up tomorrow ready for next trip home. Plan to complete the rest of the glass works around the stern and then start cutting and re-design the helm area.

DSC01506.jpgDSC01498.jpgDSC01503.jpgDSC01517.jpg

will you be re laying carpet down or going something different brett?

Moose

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    will you be re laying carpet down or going something different brett?

Moose
    Hi Moose,

Was looking for something different instead of carpet and yet to decide. The carpet that was in the boat was ok so may go that way again.

Start the helm and dash area next time home Moose and once that's sorted it will be time to begin the engine installation, wiring and electronics.

The lads from Cruisecraft have started up this joint too Brett. Doing some pretty trick stuff. Not sure on pricing but probably not real cheap but easy to look after and does look good.

https://www.facebook.com/machineit.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    The lads from Cruisecraft have started up this joint too Brett. Doing some pretty trick stuff. Not sure on pricing but probably not real cheap but easy to look after and does look good.

https://www.facebook.com/machineit.com.au/
    Scott is does look great. Price would be up there as looks like there certainly be some time to do. You have me thinking again.

Don't worry about the heat blanket then and get some asbestos lagging if room is an issue. That's all I have had on my risers before.

Smithy the blanket is not real thick.

Over the next couple of days before I head back to work I will bolt the transom shield back in and make up a jig to run a string line to get measurements. I am disappointed I missed this.
    Attached Images Attached Images