Thread: Wellington Point Reef

Wellington Point Reef

Ventured out again at around 2:30 am to Wellington Point Reef for a spot of fishing. Brought some whole squid and IQF pilchards along for bait. A mate of mine scored a 29cm grass sweetlip about 2 minutes after anchoring up on half a pilchard. The night went on and a few more squire of around 34cm were brought aboard and promptly put back into the water. I was running a very small sinker and some big Mustad 3/0 or 4/0 big red hooks with 20lb fireline, but i kep getting smashed by some huge fish on the reef ??? They dont give you much time to set the hook and pull them up before you are either bitten through or smashed on the Reef. Was fishing in around 3metres off water between the Huybers beacon and the flashing beacons just off wellington point. The tide was running out and i positioned the boat so that deeper water was behind the boat towards straddy and we were sitting on a nice patch of rocky bottom. Any ideas on how I can stop these fish from biting me through or smashing me on the coral without spooking them ? As 20lb fireline is fairly thin and i was running big baits like whole squid or half a pilchard. All in all we put alot back but we did manage one squire which went 37cm. ( this went in the esky)
    Might head back out tonight or early tomorrow morning again for another session against these mysterious fish which I think might be 1 -> 2kg sweetlip.

Thanks

Re: Wellington Point Reef

in the dark you should be able to use 50 kilo trace, thats what i mostly use outside and it doesnt seem to affect the catch rate, 3m of it should pull up the keenest fish.

Rob

50kilo trace ? mono ?
    thats pretty thick!
    i think ill try some 30lb first

I should of added the 50 kilo is doubled as i use dropper loops to the hooks, it might as well be 100 kilo

Rob

They wont be grassies busting you off, there are some big spangled lippers hang round that area and its coming into the season for them., with the water temp the way it is. 10-15kg leader is a overkill but will pull them up.regards

aquarius

Vertico i agree with Webby...big spangled lippers......i know 1 guy that catches them at this location.......he uses (no;5) single hooks and 30 lb line.
    I,m planning an early morning trip Sunday to Wello...if you are out there in the same location i will be passing on my way to a favourite sweetlip spot....leaving from Manly boat harbour at 5am.
    Cheers #Brent

Iam planning on being there around 3am again
    so ill be there waiting for the lippers
    you will have to show me where you get your lippers

aquarius

No problem mate......got to be quiet as a mouse or you will scare them away......you have seen a pic of my rig so flag me down in the morning and i will show you a good sweetie spot but i,m not going to guarantee the catch..lol
    Cheers Brent

no problems