Thread: fishing elliot heads

fishing elliot heads

hi
    will be fishing elliot heads in feb. anyone got info on time of day to fish , best tides, ect. would like to target jacks, queenies, grunter and prawns. will be in a 4.25 edgetracker so i might nip outside for pallagics
    any help would be great
    thanks
    rob

Re: fishing elliot heads

hey brett
    trip is getting closer
    will be up there on the 16/02
    how is the fresh effecting the river
    any clue as to where to fish if there is still a lot of fresh in a weeks time
    thanks in advance
    rob

Bundaberg_Bandit

Not much in the reports this week, still lots of fresh coming down, there are reports of a few mackeral around, I got a few schoolies and spotties last weekend at Cochrane's Artificial,

hopefully all this rain has flushed out some of the sand from the Elliot, last time launching from Riverview I had to get out and push the boat across sandflats to get out to the mouth.

Also just be careful at the mouth at the lower tides, a good look at the swell/waves and taking it carefully, will see you out safely without ending up swamped on a sandbank.

cheers
    Paul

thanks paul

brett and paul
    just got back
    had a great time
    didnt catch much fish. too blowy on tues and wed to go out side. went outside on thurs morning. beautifull conditions but only caught a couple of bonito (i think). not many birds working. talked to a guy that had fished the arty, heaps of big mackeral busting him off. plenty of queenies in the elliot but could not get them to take my lures, what do you guys use to catch them? thanks for the previous advise, now back to work
    rob

Bundaberg_Bandit

I've used live herring and Lazer's (fast shiny things) before. Mostly out the front around the island there (Dr Mays), trolling has also caught some small mackeral and tailor when in season. haven't had the chance for much lately, still feeding on some mackeral, as I said I got a few last time on Cochrane's but got busted off 3 times for ever landed one (no wire)

good you had a good time, hopefully more fish next time

PG

I'm from Bundy originally before coming up to Rocky and I miss the fishing down there. I've since bought a boat and I'm very interested in Cochranes Artificial Reef.
    Where do you put in and how far out is it? I have a 4m tinny 25hp. I reckon it's quite capable of getting to Cochranes but I spose I just want to hear some local knowledge of reports from there.
    What kind of fish do you usually get there and what do you fish with? eg rod, handline, pillies, herring, yakkas...whatever you can shed light on would be much appreciated,
    Paul

Bundaberg_Bandit

For a start, look here http://www.badarai.asn.au/

I mainly just use live and flesh baits caught out there on jigs and some squid and pillies.

Got a range of species out there, sweetlip, red emporer, mackeral, squire.

Mostly on the smaller size but the odd good one amongst them, always come home with at least a feed.

I launch from Riverview and it doesn't take long in my 15foot with a 40HP, on good days you see plenty of boat your size doing it easy and it isn't a long way to run home if the weather gets bad

cheers
    Paul

PG

Thanks mate, look forward to fishing it nexttime I get my boat down there. I'll post a report when I do.
    Thanks again for the info.
    Paul

thanks paul
    will try that next time
    rob

Brett_Finger

hi,
    have been haveing great sucess with softies in the Elliott,best reslut is from the 3" berkley Dropshot. in a white/pearl and watermellon/pearl.
    the small rock bar at the mouth on the port side headin out is well worth a look on the makeing tide.
    Hookin,Brett