Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M/bay today- boat finally blooded

M/bay today- boat finally blooded

Craig & I went out this morning 4am from wynum, 50m from ramp hit a old pot which wrapped around prop. Took 10-15min to get off. Over to the sandhills area, the bay was very messy with some size mixed in ,caught nothin. Upto 4's/ e1? to do some jigging, bay getting better started gettin hits & fish. Headed back towards Mud, BINGO, schools everwhere, calm sea's. we ended up keeping 3 Spotties & 3 great size schoolies. Dropped a few but dont care, got a feed and had a great time. I used some of Rob's lures, and I never lost 1.
    can't wait to do it again
    will post some pics tonite, if i can figure it out
    Michael

Re: M/bay today- boat finally blooded

Good to here you got em Michael, it was a slow start that left a lot of guys scratching their heads, but in the end came good.

Rob

not wrong about slow start, I thought here we go again I missed out. saw some massive tuna jumping. 1 Thing looked like a 44gal drum when it launched it self. just had mac dinner beautiful. that shark must have been fun
    i have just got do it again and soon
    still workin on pics
    Michael

Ive found in previous years (havent had a chance at em this year yet) that if you cant cast to the longtails with slugs medium diving lures have worked best on the troll!!....As they tend to dive deeper when spooked....Works well should give it a go instead of the slugs!!

Left Cleveland at 4a.m with bumpy seas early to head to central paddock east of mud.Came up to the Green Marker at the western end of the Rous Channel to find a frenzy of birds 200 odd. Means one thing me thought.Looked around and saw Spotties Wreaking havoc on hapless bait.
    Could not believe the humidity early in the day.
    Found a bait ball 2m wide,in 4m of water with mackeral just carving them up,awesome sight.
    So out came the slugs.Fish,bust offs,hits every cast.My first experience at sight casting to marauding speedsters.
    Unforgettable,hope this a sign of things to come in future years.
    We shared the Bait Ball with another boat who were waving the wand at the boil to great sucess it seems.
    The bait ball finally split into 2 and became smaller and the mackeral moved on.Russ and I nearly had our bag limit within the hour.Not huge around the 70cm mark,but very welcome all the same.
    Played a game of cat and mouse for the next 3/4 hour chasing boils by stealth only to get within casting distance and they would dive.At around 8a.m there was a boil of fish that lasted 30seconds about the size of half a football field.
    Can this day get any better.
    So we decided to make the trip over to the Beacons to see what the state of play was.Landed a couple more here but were alot smaller than the surface feeders in the paddock,so alot were released.A bit slow after the bait ball.how spoilt were we early on.

Micheal,think i saw you and the Queenslander at E2 nice looking rig.We were in the Quintrex 600 tag teaming the beacon for awhile with you before you moved back to E1, I think.
    Good to hear you had a good day also.

Zak.

A photo of the boil.

Hi Zak

Yes I remeber that Quinnie(light coloured canopy), Should have yell out. certainly turned into a nice day.
    Another boat(lightist coloured canopy) that i will have to comitt to the old memory system.

Michael

hey gibbo,
    good to hear you have splashed a bit of mac blood around that boat. bet there was nothing sweeter than washing the mess off of the shiney new paint,

well done
    dazza

You are so right Dazza. Now I want 1 of those Tuna's, the fight should be fun.
    Are you lot, still fishin this weekend?

gibbo

DaneCross

We'll be out there tomoro chasing macks.. don't know what to make of the weather forecast, we're taking our chances anyway. Praying for a couple of hours early morn of clean seas disturbed only by schools of feeding mackerel

DC

Good luck, what sort of boat will you be in
    hopefully will have my pics posted tonite.

DaneCross

we'll be in a quintrex 475 bayhunter runabout named 'wheeln em in'

gibbo,
    col and tim are up at mission i think. i am on night duty, but have 7 days off next week. yahoo
    ralphie is supposed to be bolting the new 225 yammie on the 680 this weekend, dunno if it has arrived yet though, will finally be able to get out and give a few macs a bit of a hurry up.
    there are a few big tuna kicking around now go get em mate
    cheers
    dazza

pics

pics