Thread: Sunday trip to the 29's

gropeher

Sunday trip to the 29's

Did a trip out to the 29's on Sunday, BOM predicted 10-15 knots. Yeah right, was 20 knots all day. Picked up some live bait from just outside the bar on the way and heade out to try some grounds for some snapper. It was not to happen on this trip, picked up some rosy job fish and flathead. I went all that way just for flathead? My mate on his cruisecraft picked up a few small keepers - squire. While we were fishing and drifting along there was a charter boat out there. He started his engine and moved over to where my mate was and yelled out, Oi give us some room mate. He was obviously sitting on one of his marks, he rightly told him, I was here first mate, you pee off. Where does that skipper get off!
    Any how headed back in the bar around 1 - 1-30pm to glassed out conditions in the bay.
    Maybe next time. I might need someone to tell me where I am going wrong trying to chase this elusive knobby!
    I was bottom bashing using mullet, Pillies and a few livies, there was a hell of a current out there.
    As soon as my bait hit the bottom we were just drifting and continually needing to let more line out, the heavy sinker was killing my arms.
    We were drifting and fishing the 50m line at the reef.
    Hopefully soon I get to post a real report.

Cheers for now, Ryan..

Re: Sunday trip to the 29's

Hang in there Ryan, it won't happen overnight, BUT IT WILL HAPPEN! Cheers and better luck next time for sure!

I feel that after seven years I am getting close to catching a snapper

Patience my AR$@ I want one now, just does not get the job done.

Good luck and keep at it.

Angla

Grow some balls!! 8) 8) 8)

If you are interested Ryan (and anyone else), three of the 'gun' offshore fishers in our club will be talking about snapper fishing in Moreton Bay and offshore at our club meeting this Wednesday night, 20th July. Speakers include Steve Watson who is a regular presenter at the Brisbane Boat Show and Steve Gregory and Roy Lane, both of whom have placed in the major Brisbane fishing comps with knobbies.

Location is the Brisbane 16ft Skiff sailing club, Quay St Bulimba, doors open at 7.30 pm and meeting starts at 8 pm. First up is the AGM and the snapper talk will start around 8.40 or so. Visitors are welcome and there is no charge.

More details in the newsletter on our web site.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

gropeher

Hi Jeremy,
    Unfortunately I am unable to make it tomorrow night due to prior committments which is a real shame as I would have been real keen, however I have been on to your web site and read the newsletter etc, I will endevour to catch up in the near future,
    Thanks for the advice.

Cheers again Ryan..