Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RBTs on the water

RBTs on the water

Im just wondering how water police handle things when theyve got a bloke pulled up for drink driving on the water?

Do they tow the boat back somewhere? They wouldnt want it at their own HQ, and they wouldnt want to take it to the ramp it came from? They cant just leave it anchored up where it stands for 24 hrs.....Do they have an obligation to minimise risk to the boat?

Dont worry, I dont take grog on the water myself, so Im not the one whos worried. All I drink is water and caffiene drinks.

Ive often wondered what happens if a bloke gets pulled up on the way home from the ramp. Does his boat have to sit on the road all night while he goes to jail? If you are solo, they cant just give you a ticket and send you home.

Before you start , I applaud the good job that the water police do. Im just curious.

cheers
    Andrew

Re: RBTs on the water

Good point mate...interesting in a solo situation or what if all the deckies were over the limit too
    Brett
    PS; I'm with you in the drink department..at best I may have one beer but I leave it to the deckies to enjoy and I focus on being safe on the water and keeping my eyes open for the ones that may be drinking

they usually get another officer to take it to the holding yard at their station or get racq to tow it to their yard.........bob

Quote Originally Posted by the gecko View Post
    Ive often wondered what happens if a bloke gets pulled up on the way home from the ramp. Does his boat have to sit on the road all night while he goes to jail? If you are solo, they cant just give you a ticket and send you home.

cheers
    Andrew
    I have seen cars at an RBT site the following morning,so i presume, if you do get caught and don't have anyone else to drive it home for you , that is where it stays. Don't know about boats though.

Sounds like they would have to tow the boat, if they caught you on the water solo. Thats gonna take a lot of time out of thier day, if they are one hour away from base. That makes it a 2-3 hr round trip to get back to their main zone (if they were at Tipplers or Pin?). I cant see them letting anyone off tho.....

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Bob H View Post
    they usually get another officer to take it to the holding yard at their station or get racq to tow it to their yard.........bob
    hmmmmmm. RACQ??

Last year down near tipplers the driver was booked late afternoon and the next morning his boat was still there high and dry as the tide had gone out so figured the police weren't going to tow it or one of his passengers was going to drive it back the next day. They were htere for an afternoon trip only so the passengers must have decided to book in at tipplers for the night, expensive afternoon.

i dont think theres an obligation to tow the vessel. im not sure on the Police boat setup, possibly the bigger vessels (17m patrol) based up north would be able to process the driver on the spot (being equipped with a BAS machine and certified operator) without having to take the driver back to the station for a breath analysis specimen. they woudlnt impound the boat or car unless it was involved in an accident. trust me its hard enough for police to obtain authorisation for a tow of a vehicle let alone a boat. So with the brisbane based Police boats id guess that theyd bring the driver back and leave the boat upto someone else to get it. Either way, a very costly exercise to be drink driving on the water

Is it true that if you get caught over the limit in your boat it is your car licence that ia suspended?

Yes shagga they are linked. Also if you get pulled over driving, then your boat licence gets suspended too.

As far as I know it's like vehicles. They are left there. Their attitude, rightly so, is you should have thought about that before you put yourself over the limit.

Talking Re: RBTs on the water

Quote Originally Posted by hodges4 View Post
    As far as I know it's like vehicles. They are left there. Their attitude, rightly so, is you should have thought about that before you put yourself over the limit.
    I guess if you are over the limit then you can't legally sign a waiver for towing so the vehicle has to stay.

Anyone who drinks and drives is an idiot. On the water or the road. I have a family member who has permanent injuries because of some idiot on the water.
    Stay safe people...
    Saint Andrew, Patron Saint of fishing and fisherman, Pray for us!

I'm in a boat that doesnt require me to have a licence.

I dont drink on the water though im still curious what the legal limit is?? .02?