Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cherry Venture Wreck to be removed.

Re: Cherry Venture Wreck to be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Reef_fisher
    I also listened to the reported incident of asbestos, why now after thirty years. I can remember seeing the stuff and wondering what it was, I was told by an adult in no uncertain terms not to touch the stuff, and that was in the early eighties!!! If it is dangerous, remove it. But you have to wonder why now after so long.
    Touching the stuff isn't the problem, it's breathing it in. More than likely in the engine bay pipe lagging.

And yes there will be men in disposable overalls with respirators when they demolish it #

as an adult i cant remember too much of the "ship on the beach"

after a dozen "tall necks" ........... [smiley=wreck.gif]
    "whats the time"

Jim_Byrne

Yeh Rando your memory isn't too bad.

I have also heard that story, from very reliable sources.

However the version I heard suggested that the old owner of the vessell (the one who ran it aground) was making some money from running a tourist venture out of the cherry venture. He apparently had loads and loads of people paying good money to ride in old trucks and busses up to see the wreck every day and that he stood to loose big time.

I heard it may not have been a case of keeping the channel open but a situation where the old owner didn't want it gone and stopped it. That was another story in itself from what I remember.

Either way it would make a great movie!

Cheers

Jim