Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best ways to prevent boat theft?

Best ways to prevent boat theft?

What sort of tricks can be used to make it difficult for scumbags to tow away your boat when you're not home?

(other than sitting there with a 12 Gauge)

I know that the most determined thieves will do just about whatever it takes to get your boat, but there must be ways to make enough of a deterrent to make them find an easier target.

Just don't give away too many secrets - you never know who is reading. >

Re: Best ways to prevent boat theft?

a combination of all the following - Killer dogs, alarms, electric fence devices, wheel clamps, Hardened tensile chain on each axel to a 200 tonne block in a vault like enclosure - is sure to slow the process down

Mate, locks only keep honest people out! I guess the goal of any security is to remove the opportunistic thief from the equation. #If someone wants it badly enough they'll unfortunately find a way...

Cheers

Rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

imported_admin

You should always ask your insurance company what they will accept as prevention. Having a chain from the trailer to a post may not cover what they require as far as a "Theft Pevention Device"

Have a look at the Trailer locks - http://www.ausfish.com.au/trailer

those trailer locks work well on and off the towball I didn't start fishing untill I had one of these and a lockable pin for the hitch!!

It dosn't stop the wobble roler pinchers though &gt;

Cheers
    Brandon...

We keep our boat out of sight, behind a big fence with a "beware of the dog" sign and a big dog. The trailer has a wheel clamp & a trailer lock. Dont leave any of your fishing gear on the boat (sounders, gps, fishing rods & reels) just in case. And have it all fully insured.

For those that do you use locks as shown below....

They do not prevent a thief from just connecting up your chains and towing your boat away using the chains.

However, if you lay your chains through the lock as well this prevents them being able to connect the chains up to their towbar (see below).

- Darren

i use a hitch lock as above and also a wheel clamp

Some security devices & ideas -

Dogs - noisy is better than aggressive. Aggressive is more fun though.

Sensor Lights.

Alarms - movement sensors and magnetic strips.

CCTV - Hooked up to long play VCR or DVD recorder. Web cams work if you have the technology.

Secure fencing & shedding - locks fitted & alarms installed.

Padlocks should always be the highest security rating you can afford. Cheap padlocks are very easy to disable.

Dont leave anything laying around that can be used as tool or weapon.

Advertise the fact that security guards patrol the premises. Even if they dont.

Lock your power box and place a sensor light over it.

Advertise that security devices are installed & active on the premises, dont say what they are.

Get a trustworthy neighbour/s on side and look out for eachother.

Basically put the elements of being caught and surprise in your attack. Keep them guessing.

Cheers
    James

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

With regard to the hitch locks, what could stop a thief unbolting the tow hitch and replacing the hitch with his own? The ones I have seen have "Do not weld" on them and so they are bolted. Wouldn't it be better if they were welded to the drawbar?

Cheers
    Dave

DNO40

Dave,

Don't think you can have welded anymore - people obviously don't fix up the cracking welds.

DNO

my neighbor had his boat chained to his fence but the chain was sort of hidden so as to not be easily detected, one day he came home and his fence was pulled over a bit and the chain tight, but his boat was till there! maybe it was just enough to make a racket and the crooks did not hang around to cut the chain as they may have been caught, must have given them a fright when it tightened up huh!

Gorilla_in_Manila

Dave,
    I can understand the no weld requirements for the hitch attachment due to the likelihood of weld cracks and then the extreme cyclic loading propegating fatigue cracking.

But you should be OK tack welding the nuts to the bolt thread.

Might make it a bit difficult for yourself if you ever want to change it, but thats' the whole idea.

Cheers
    Jeff

i have a lock like above, and park an old bomb in front of the boat. (old car that still runs). So if they want the boat, they nee to steal the car, remove the box trailer and cut the lock on the towbar and always get through the wife and i have a good neighbour.

hussy

buy a 4m hornet trophy with a 30 hp yammy. no one would steal it , if they did it would be a godsend.

hubby

mate tack welded u bolt nuts on his box trailer.

While they lasted for years like that, when it came time to remove them, easily broke u bolts with a shifter one handed. Cruddy u bolts, or affected by the welds?