Thread: Hervey Bay / Toogoom - Areas to Fish

Hervey Bay / Toogoom - Areas to Fish

Hi, I am going to be in Hervey Bay (toomoom) in the next few days. And wanted some tips from those that know re: areas to fish. I will be based in Toogoom with a dingy for 2 weeks. Only want to catch what I can eat & share. Any tips would be truly appreciated.
    I am interested in whiting, snapper, tuna, trevally, and squid.
    Thanks in advance...

Re: Hervey Bay / Toogoom - Areas to Fish

whiting will be everywhere up there, fish the incoming tide on the banks accross from the boat ramp just as the water starts to come over the yabby banks is the best time. You won't see any snapper or tuna in toogoom mate, nor would I expect to see a trevally, although it is possible. There may be squid around there, it's the right time of year for them. If you are after whiting, get over to that bank straight across from the ramp and pump some fresh yabbies, only bait to use. you could also expect to catch gar, bream and flathead, sting rays and shovel nose in the same place. Good luck, it used to be a great place to fish 20 years ago. hope this helps.

PS. Don't try to launch your boat at low tide, lots of nasty rock shelves in the channel near the ramp, or if you do, be VERY cautious. I have seen many boats hit those rocks, do yourself a favour and wait for the water to come up a foot or so before launching.

mitch_05

if you wanted to you could head to burrum heads and fish the river. i know over easter there was mackerel/tuna going crazy off the boat ramp.

mitch

Thanks for the tips...

keen_as_mustard

nala,

was up there over easter and we found a great bank for whiting - the island directly across from the urangan harbour (round island). we fished the south western bank (along the small sand spit) using yabbies and got plenty of whiting and a few dart. you have to move around to find the spot as it only seems to be a section of about 10 metres wide where they bite. cast out just before the colour change. we fished the run up to the top of the tide, once it turned, the bite slowed down.

don't know if they would still be there now, but it is a 10 min ride from marina, so not hard to find out

good luck

marty

Mate, the winter whiting are on fire up here at the moment. Keep an eye out for the boats, they will be easy to spot there will be about 50 in one little area.

There a few spots wide of Toogoom and Burum that would be worth a line for snapper you can get the GPS marks off the internet. If you can't I'll should be able to get them.

JT

Cheers for that... I really appreciate the tips. I will try and give all these spots a go and let you know who wins the local knowlage championship. Much apperciated.