Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Bay Mackerel M & G

Custaro and I would like to play too prob leaving from Wello. Never caught a mack so im looking forward to popping my cherry so to speak.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

gps marks

Gday Webby, mate thinkin of setting up camp on friday arvo is there any chance of some gps co ordinates for the camp site Cheers MM

OK, the slugs are ready for those that wanted them. Up to the minute news is that the spotties are in very good numbers but unwilling to hit anything other than trolled baits and lures. Hope this turns around by next weekend.

And when we bag out by lunchtime Saturday, we'll tie up to the Mother Ship and " discuss " the days events. ? Neil ?????

Cheers Phill
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 27-01-2007 at 10:18 AM.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Sounds good Phill

Is that bagging out on Spotties and Doggies ?

Can we put together a name & call sign list for the boats heading over (in one post)?

Plenty of fish around so it should be a question of putting the right methods together.

Neil

G'Day all,

Just a couple of questions and suggestions....

With quite a few boats heading over with crews that haven't met before, can I suggest that all boats fly a ribbon on their aerial so that we can identify each other when out on the water. I know we have radio etc but with some on 27meg, some on VHF, and some turned off it does get difficult at times. It also helps when a boat comes in very close if you know it is someone in the group coming to say hello.

Nothing flash, just some ribbon or about 300mm of plastic tape doubled over and streaming from the aerial will be fine. I know there are AUSFISH stickers and things but not all boats have them, flags are also good but once again not all may have them in time, anyway just a thought.

On the overnighter side of things, what are most people doing? For me, the boat can sleep a couple onboard but we will prolly look to pitch a tent somewhere, what are others doing? Is there a crapper nearby or do we walk the shovel? Is there a designated campsite at the location or is it on the beach? Just looking for some basic info to ensure we pack right.

- Darren

P.S. Paul, you are welcome onboard if still looking for a ride.

Mr_Bean ,
    THe ribbon Sounds like a good idea .

Webby ,
    What radio channels will be using VHF & 27 meg .??

Phil ,
    Yeah mate its going to get boring after we have bagged out by lunchtime . One can only hope
    Last edited by Searaider 2; 27-01-2007 at 01:03 PM.
    Peter
    Searaider 2

To make it easy, will make meeting place or campsite at the wrecks, there just north of the big sandhills and on the beach.
    There are no amenities, so its a shovel job.
    Neil (horse) should have his big mother ship anchored close by, serving refreshments, and flying the skull and crossbones off the flag pole.
    The ribbon off the aerial sounds like a great idea, so if all can get a red ribbon or similiar, will help recogizines each other.
    Myself and couple of others leaving whyte island early to get across by sunup, so up to other skippers what times they depart. Callsign Fireball, on both 27mhz and vhf.
    Now we just have to prey for good weather.
    Following names have said they were coming.
    Horse---- webby/pinhead/flea ----mr wong--
    searaider 2/ lucky phill ----gilbo---- jb
    redspeckles/ausfish ----black rat ----rakinray
    2dknb---- finding time ----honda900
    ken4159 ----pista ----seahorse 001
    foggy---- sunny/fishing dan---- dogsbody
    moondancer---- hungry 6 ----mr bean/thedeckie
    mad mackerel---- adamy ----woof
    mad man 1 ----murks---- longtail
    4 reel ----stevedemon
    regards
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 27-01-2007 at 04:54 PM.

moulded hook

This is the hook I was telling you about Webby, Peter.

Phill

G/ day all i think that their is a toilet block for public use just nth of the wrecks and back behind the tee trees almost where the moreton barges drop off ! The other thing you need to be careful of is if you are going to camp on the island you need a permit and you will need to keep one eye open on your rigs during the nite as the tide rips thru their sometimes, and when they swing the anchors tend to pull ! I think if i do the overnighter ill sleep in the boat ! Still not sure what im doing yet but ill be their at some stage of the event. Hey Brian what about a prize for the largest model Spottie caught over the whole two days just a thought. That way we only keep the big fellas ! Lookin forward to catching up again with all the AF crews.

CHEERS RAY

Ray, I think Webby is talking about different wrecks than the ones you mentioned. He may have to clear that up.

Further,

As the spotties are currently not taking too kindly to slugs, a variety of trolling pillie methods can be used. Below is a pic or two of some methods.

Pic 1:-

3 gang 5/0's with a moulded lead weight on the top hook. This keeps the pillie down in the water column.

Pic 2:-

Same rig as number 1, but with a pink skirt on it. Above that rig is a 'Chin Guard ". This has a towing point and spikes that stick into the pillies head area, again the weight keeps the pillie down and trolling straight.

pic 3 :-

This is a rig when you gang 3/0's to 5/0's and run a pink squid skirt down on top of the hooks, BUT, you add a small ball sinker ( this one is a 4 ball ) into... yes, push into.......the squids head. This helps the pillie stay down and troll without spinning.

Phill
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 27-01-2007 at 05:48 PM.

MORE

Pic 1:-

A Halco lure about 100mm long and shallow diving.

the rig above it has a flat piece of lead wrapped around the top hook and painted with white paint. The lead will help to keep the pillie down and also assist in making it track straight.

pic 2 :-

These are Pillie Lures, they are desighned for Spanish Macks and Wahoo, but I have had success with them at Hervey Bay. They are 150mm long and coloured like pillies and slimies. I'll try these as a last resort.

Phill

Hey Phil , what speed should troll a pillie at ?

Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    And when we bag out by lunchtime Saturday, we'll tie up to the Mother Ship and " discuss " the days events. ? Neil ?????

Cheers Phill
    I just wouldn't count your chickens just before they hatch there
    Remember its called Fishing thats why we don't called it Catching
    It could turn out to be a hard slog getting those Mac's

Mitch

Jason........... slow.

Mitch........ I don't believe I mentioned bagging out on Spotties ? Maybe we'll bag on Snapper and save the spottie hunt for Sunday ? But you are right about counting chickens etc

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

Phill

If anyone is gonna bring an BBQ set, I would bring some steaks and drinks for a light feed on the bank on saturday evening dinner. This is a back up plan if we all goes zilch for fish on sat. Just a thought.

Also I still may have one spot left if anyone needs a spot, as my trusty anchor boy may have to attend some domestic dispute over fishing time.
    Also leaving from Bribie atm.
    Humility is not a weather condition.