Thread: Best place to camp on Moreton????

Best place to camp on Moreton????

Thinking about heading to Moreton in mid to late Feb to do some camping, exploring and fishing. Never camped there before so am keen to find out the opinions of other Ausfishers as to where the best camping grounds are.
    Want to camp comfortably somewhere with some facilities if possible.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Best place to camp on Moreton????

just behind the wreak's is a camping spot, there is toilet and shower up there and if you happen to run out you can walk up to tangga's to get fresh stuff, also can snorkle around wreak and it's not to far to head out side. I camped their for a week it was awhile a go now but it was good we walked down and watched the dolphin feeding with the kids ....

Cheers Chris
    may you get a bend in your rod and your esky open often

Down at the base of Big Sandhills is an old water pump that still works (lots of fresh water). Nice camping under the Casuarinas however anchorage is shallow. Have not camped there yet myself but it is on the list.

Ross
    So many fish, so little time!

NeilD

If you have a 4X then the campsite at Blue Lagoon has toilets and cold showers. This is on the surf side and gets you away from the crowds of idiots around the western beaches.

Neil

we spent a week on moreton just before xmas, We stayed at ben ewa. Its on the western beach.
    what a great spot for familiestoilets showers (cold of course) it has a small bluf in front of the camp site so you are sheltered from any wind that gets up. it would be my top pick

Bulwer is also a good spot with toilet showers. Shop not far away and good fishing at the drop off to deep water 50 m offshore.

always camped behind the dunes on the eastern ocean side , 2klms north of middle track, great grassy spots, good hammock trees, dunes protect you from any winds that might pick up, and no idiots hoonen around!! Can't wait to go back

cheers
    STRIKA.

I agree with you strika! I like the couple of camp grounds to the south of the inland track. What i like about the Morton camp grounds is that there are some sites behind the second dunes (none like this on Frasier). you actually setup your tent on GRASS!! and have lots of trees around you. Also if you get the right site you might have a couple of tomato plants to raid for your sangas only thing is no lu and showers, although there is a lu at the camp site just north of the track (can't remember the name) but its only a couple of minutes down the beach

Cheers
    Brandon..

I heard that they were considering opening up a new ground at the old squatter's village up the north end, and closing Yelowpatch to camping. Anyone able to confirm?

Good luck,
    Mike

We camped at Yellowpatch last Easter. Nice spot, but don't forget the Aeroguard as the midgies will carry you off without it!

Cheers!
    Jason

We stayed at the new Northpoint campground at new years. Was an excellent spot with toilets and a cold shower, flat grassy sites protected from the wind behind the dunes and casurinas. Yellowpatch camping area was still open then, but I hadn't heard of any plans to close it.

Cheers Kev