Thread: Cape Hillsborough

Cape Hillsborough

Went camping last weekend to Cape Hillsborough was a top place close to the beach amentiies were excellent and cosy was good. Plenty to do, highlight of the trip was finding a 2.5 metre carpet snakle trying to eat a small wallaby (will post pics soon), though I was very unhappy when the camp owners chopped the snakes head off with a cane knife espcialy since it was in a national park.

wiseguy67

Re: Cape Hillsborough

That is a top place with good rock fishing
    Stayed ten days in Oct 2004 and again on the way back south in Nov 2004.
    Great place to interact closely with nature.
    The incident with the carpet snake might be worth passing on to parks.
    No need to kill snakes unless your hungry enough to eat one your self.
    Just my opinion.

I saw it on "Queensland Weekender" tonight.

Definitely a place I'd like to spend a bit of time at whenever that "big trip" ever comes off...

Is there anywhere to use the the 4WD on the beach, or mooring the boat?

Good luck,
    Mike

Round the corner is Ball Bay and Seaforth good boating there. Looks like a few 4wd tracks around to

Any sandflies?

When I went there for a look I see you drive through mangroves and Ithought this would be pretty good for sandflies in summer.

Few mozzies on dusk and dawn but good fire gets rid of them

I have stayed at Seaforth excellent boat ramp but didnt have much luck crabbing or fishing

There is good fishing to be had at seaforth which has an excellent boat ramp. The best creeks to fish imho are rabbit, clooney (around the rock bar), murray (avoid the real big tides as the run makes fishing way too hard) and mathers.

A word of caution tho - the area inside the islands can be impassible at low tide and has rock bars which can cause havoc with your prop although last time I was there some kind soul had put a bouy on the spot which makes life easier.

Mike