Thread: packing fridge/freezer

packing fridge/freezer

i have recently purchased a 50l waeco fridge/freezer.i was wodering if anyone knows how to pack them so that i can keep some products frozen and some unfrozen, and also approx. what temp. to run it at.
    thanks in advance.
    cheers
    goat.

Re: packing fridge/freezer

With 3 green lights on main freezer area will be about half a degree C off freezing and the crisper should be about #5 to 7 degrees.

G,day Goat,

What things do you need to keep frozen?

bc

meat and bait frozen; beer and drinks cold.

We don't freeze meat any more; we get the butcher to vacuum pack it in meal size portions (for no extra charge) which will last four to five weeks in the fridge.

The Waeco 50 is deep so we pack all the meat on the bottom which makes every thing else easier to get at. There’s no defrosting to worry about, no smell, the cryovac bags are tough and we have never had one leak.

We do small roast which are a bit more than we can eat and use the rest for cold meat the next day. If we have a fire we use a camp oven, if we don’t we use a Coleman Camp Oven that fits on top of our dual fuel stove. Just sit back with your preferred brew, enjoy the view and let the oven do the rest.

Typical packs for two of us would be;

- Three chicken breasts (one for cold meat)
    - Four rashers of bacon
    - 1kg roast lamb
    - 1kg roast beef
    - 1kg roast pork
    - Two steaks

I wouldn’t use any processed meat like sausages or mince.

As for bait I take lures and a cast net, but you can cryovac fresh fish which you could use for bait.

As Bundy said, three green lights is perfect beer temp and I think the vacuum packed meat would last longer than five weeks at that setting.

bc

thanks for the good advice bush camper