Thread: Fraser Island

Fraser Island

Hey All,

Got the go ahead to go camping fishing etc at Fraser today. Only cost me two weekends at the inlaws (Brisbane) and I get 5 days on Fraser with the wife. Could have been worse !!!

Havnt been to Fraser since 1991 and you could go around the whole island (well almost). I have heard you cant get onto the Northern coast and part of the Nortern East coast. Do you guys havr a good info on

1- Where you can and cant go?
    2- Anywhere you cant camp ?
    3- Best places to fish?

Thanks

Steve

PS- In Sydney

Re: Fraser Island

Swerve #there is a hervey bay site called www.fishntales.com that may be able to help.

they may help you #

Derek_Bullock

Hi Steve

I would suggest that since 1991 they have introduced more regulations and restrictions than you could ever imagine.

Check out this site https://www.epa.qld.gov.au/parks/iap....do?parkId=130 Once on there just keep going through all of the links.

Cheers

Derek

As a quick guide.

No vehicluar access on the west side north from the Lighthouse to The bottom end, basically. #There is limited access where there are campgrounds on the western side.

No firewood is provided and you must take your own " Milled " timber. #Fires are only allowed in the Fire-rings, provided.

Lots of regs regarding Dingoes and Dingo proofing your camp site.

All this and more can be found on the website provided by Derek, as well as getting your camp and vehicle permits online. #All info is contained in the INFO PACK you will recieve when picking up your permits from the Ranger Station at Rainbow Beach. ( or Riverheads or Urangan, depends on your departure area ).

Also #Inskip barge is about $70 return #and vehicle permits are $32.00. #Camping is $4.00/ person/ night . #Barge from Hervey Bay / Riverheads is about $130.00. # Fuel at Kingfisher Bay resort was about 1.70ltr at Xmas #and a little bit less at Orchid beach and Eurong. #There are also some 50kph zones on some areas of beach now.

AS for camping........depends !

are you taking a boat ? #well then it has to be Waddy Point then.

No boat, anywhere that camping is permitted,,as long as you are fully selfcontained, but there is good camp grounds at Dundaburra, Waddy Point, and other areas. #they have limited facilities like toilets and showers. Showers at Waddy are $1.00 ( coin ) for 3 minutes of hot water ( shower with a friend , I say # #)

If you don't want to camp ( bringing all the gear from NSW ), there are Good houses to let, enquiries at the store at Orchid Beach.

Best fishing spots....mmmmm !

Beach fishing can be great all up the coastline, and then the headlands are always worth a shot, even up the cape, for flathead, whiting and dart. #I have mostly fished the area from Waddy Point north, and found the corner between Waddy and Orchid beach, good for whiting, dart etc. Tailor tend to hang more to the south of here. #Pippi's are still plentiful south of Indian Head. #Worms are in good numbers nth of Nagala Rocks.

AS for offshore...... #Yes, bait grounds in close and good fishing starts just #10k's from the beach.

CHeers #Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill
    As a quick guide.

No vehicluar access on the west side north from the Lighthouse to The bottom end, basically. #There is limited access where there are campgrounds on the western side.

No firewood is provided and you must take your own " Milled " timber. #Fires are only allowed in the Fire-rings, provided.

Lots of regs regarding Dingoes and Dingo proofing your camp site.

All this and more can be found on the website provided by Derek, as well as getting your camp and vehicle permits online. #All info is contained in the INFO PACK you will recieve when picking up your permits from the Ranger Station at Rainbow Beach. ( or Riverheads or Urangan, depends on your departure area ).

Also #Inskip barge is about $70 return #and vehicle permits are $32.00. #Camping is $4.00/ person/ night . #Barge from Hervey Bay / Riverheads is about $130.00. # Fuel at Kingfisher Bay resort was about 1.70ltr at Xmas #and a little bit less at Orchid beach and Eurong. #There are also some 50kph zones on some areas of beach now.

AS for camping........depends !

are you taking a boat ? #well then it has to be Waddy Point then.

No boat, anywhere that camping is permitted,,as long as you are fully selfcontained, but there is good camp grounds at Dundaburra, Waddy Point, and other areas. #they have limited facilities like toilets and showers. Showers at Waddy are $1.00 ( coin ) for 3 minutes of hot water ( shower with a friend , I say # #)

If you don't want to camp ( bringing all the gear from NSW ), there are Good houses to let, enquiries at the store at Orchid Beach.

Best fishing spots....mmmmm !

Beach fishing can be great all up the coastline, and then the headlands are always worth a shot, even up the cape, for flathead, whiting and dart. #I have mostly fished the area from Waddy Point north, and found the corner between Waddy and Orchid beach, good for whiting, dart etc. Tailor tend to hang more to the south of here. #Pippi's are still plentiful south of Indian Head. #Worms are in good numbers nth of Nagala Rocks.

AS for offshore...... #Yes, bait grounds in close and good fishing starts just #10k's from the beach.

CHeers #Phill
    Phil,

Mate, thanks for the lengthy reply. The other night I found the epa website as well
    http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/projects/p...x.cgi?parkid=1

Alot of information which will be a good help along with your info. Back in the early 90's I was heavily into 4WD but was was setup for one. Now I have a partner and the new rig I need to get it setup in time and comfy for the Mrs.

Planning on making a home made roof top tent, will buy a fridge before I leave. Not much left to do for a comfy few days catching and eating fish !

Do you know if they sell diesel on Fraser ? Dont plan to buy any but good to know ?

Thinking we will beach camp remotley most nights and maybe get showers during teh day to keep wife happy.

Gez, cant wait now !!!

Steve

Yes, Diesel is available at Eurong and Orchid and Kingfisher bay.

The price..........

Have fun.

Cheers Phill

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill
    Yes, Diesel is available at Eurong and Orchid and Kingfisher bay.

The price.......... # # # #

Have fun.

Cheers #Phill
    Price of Diesel at Kingfisher ? i'll soon find out, should be there in about 29 hrs will definately be filling the Navara to the brim at Harvey Bay #

bugga that..................better to fuel up at the BP servo, on the highway at Sth Maryborough. It's usually about 4 - 6 cents per ltr cheaper than Heryvey Bay. Only 35k's to the bay, and you don't usually use much fuel travelling around Fraser. So a full tank should do you from maryborough and return, although I have no trouble with a 135ltr tank. Then again, try filling it from empty with todays prices.......

Another option is buy your food stocks at the Urangan Woolies, and get your 4 cents per litre discount at the woolies servo in the same location.

This is all a bit too late, I suppose.

Cheers Phill

Diesel was $1.59 at Kingfisher

Anyone tell me what the barge from Inskip costs these days?

As per comments in this very thread, Inskip barge is about $70, return.
    It was $65 until September last year - the bloke said they were changing it on the day I last went over ... but he gave me the better price
    I could be heading over this Saturday. Thinking about camping just north of Orchid beach but haven't camped there before. Are there any good sites? I'm guessing there's no freshwater streams?? I can't remember seeing any up that way.